I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA hood nut thread cover
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (74.140.56.---)
Date: June 10, 2023 11:30AM

Does anyone know of a supplier that might sell these type hood covers? This is on a Kistler factory spinning rod. I know I could make something similar but currently not sure I have all the tools necessary. And sometimes just easier/quicker to buy some than making.

Simple way to cover thread and nut on reel seats. I believe this one is a Fuji DPS style seat/hood.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA hood nut thread cover
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2023 10:25PM

It is a DPS style of reel with a KDPS hidden thread hood which has been cut back. You should be able to replace the EVA fore grip sleeve with a new one. Just remove the old damaged one, but don’t cut the hidden thread hood tube. Clean up the tube and glue on a new EVA fore grip sleeve. However, this will require removing the butt guide and probably a couple of the other high reduction guides. I don’t think you will need to remove the tip top or runners. Make sure you know the reel seat size before ordering the foregrip sleeve.
[voodoorods.com]

[voodoorods.com]

Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2023 10:29PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 10:37AM

Norman,

If I go with the "H" style in the first link, how would you recommend finishing the top of the EVA as it has a a much larger opening than the other styles which i would just ream out. Do I need a winding check up there to neck that down to the diameter of the blank or are there other finishing/accent options you'd recommend.

Thanks!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 10:58AM

The Fuji product is longer than that, but you can just shorten it, you can also shorten the inner sleeve ro shorten the whole thing even more, there is a Fuji/Angler Resource video that showed how to do this for the perfect fit foregrips that also applies here.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2023 12:02PM

Hi all - sorry I wasn't clear in original post but what I was thinking is that someone might sell a small pre-made EVA piece that would cover the Nut portion on the standard Fuji DPS style hood like pictured at this link: [voodoorods.com]

I have a few of the Kistler rods that have the small EVA piece like in these pictures. [kistlerrods.com]
The very front part of the EVA piece is very flexible and feels like it is covering the threads on the seat.

Was just thinking that would be a simple/cheap way to hide the threads on the front and not add hardly any weight. Makes that setup a bit more comfortable IMO than just leaving the threads exposed.

Here are a couple links to the address the other comment from Patrick to the Fuji KDPS Hood and the EVA/Cork Foregrip options that would go with the KDPS. Could do something very similar by cutting down both of these pieces but just seems like an expensive way to do it and most of that material would just end up being cutoff.
[voodoorods.com]
[voodoorods.com]

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2023 12:07PM

And here is the link to the Anglers Resource Video Spencer was referring to I believe.... [youtu.be]

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (74.140.56.---)
Date: June 11, 2023 12:17PM

Here is a pic of casting rod but same could apply to spinning. Was thinking would be nice to have an EVA “cover” that glued just to the nut but also covered the threads.

Was just wondering if anyone knew of a premade EVA piece out there on the market?

Pretty sure could make a piece but If could by the piece for a dollar or two would save the time and additional tools expenses.

With different size feet on reels would also need to have the space to accommodate.

Date: June 11, 2023 04:10PM

I have never examined or used those Kistler rods. However, looks to me like a very short EVA hood sleeve is glued onto a KDPS hood tube cut down very short. When you do this the reel seat threads also need to be cut back so that the remaining threads are covered when the hood assembly is tightened down.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: June 11, 2023 05:03PM

On the topic of hood covers, does anyone happen to have the ID and OD of American Tackles G2 3k carbon forgrip sleeve? I’m trying to cover a 20.5mm sleeve but no wider than 23.5mm.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 12, 2023 12:54AM

Since the threaded section is the same on all, it would seem the sleeves would be the same also. I believe this was discussed in an earlier post also.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: June 12, 2023 07:16AM

I remember reading a post about the G2 hood cover, at that time wasn’t relevant to me so I didn’t retain the info. I searched and couldn’t find the post.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: June 12, 2023 08:13AM

Patrick - The "H" style hood is wide at the top so the hood/EVA will screw down over the threads of the seat. I use these alot & you can trim the top with this piece if you want a more finished look

[voodoorods.com]

Date: June 12, 2023 09:52AM

Michael - The the hidden thread hood you have is probably a Fuji KDPS which has has an OD of 20.5 mm. It has been cut down to accept a shorter fore grip sleeve. The AmTac G2 fore grip sleeve has an ID of 23.2 mm and thus is too large for your hood. Fuji and Matagi have carbon fiber hood sleeves which fit the KDPS hood, they come in red, blue, silver, gold, gloss twill and matte twill and are 22.8mm long. So, with the Fuji perfect fit base ring and cap ring they should be a perfect fit for your hood.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2023 09:55AM by Norman Miller.

Date: June 12, 2023 10:16AM

Thank you Norm! I shipped in the new Fuji TCH casting reel seat for my upcoming build and the hood is 20.5mm. I haven’t used the AT G2 hood sleeve but now I know what the ID is for future builds. I couldn’t find the ID for it anywhere. Thanks again.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---)
Date: June 13, 2023 07:58AM

@Michael here is a thread from earlier this year with some info and pics related to Fuji perfect fit hood cover

[www.rodbuilding.org]

With final picture at

[www.dropbox.com]

Date: June 13, 2023 01:42PM

Date: June 13, 2023 01:44PM

Thank you Kevin! That’s the one I read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster