I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trying to find rod information
Posted by: Lewis McLeod (207.194.48.---)
Date: June 02, 2023 06:41PM

Is there somewhere we can look up information on a factory built rod? I'm refurbishing a Daiwa Swinger 2646 8½ ft 8wt fly rod for a buddy, and I'd like to have some idea what was done, if possible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trying to find rod information
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 02, 2023 07:00PM

What do you mean by "what was done?"

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: June 02, 2023 07:01PM

Have you checked with Diawa?

Date: June 02, 2023 07:31PM

I didn't even know I could do that...
I'm trying to find out if the whole blank was coated with shellac or some other finish.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2023 08:46PM

Most commercially made rods were not coated with anything beyond their paint, which in most instances was a squeegee coated epoxy paint.

Date: June 03, 2023 02:00AM

Now that I've got it stripped down as far as I reasonably need to, I've found that there is a metal sleeve underneath the grip and reel seat. The reel seat is serviceable and only needs a bit of cleaning, but the rest of this rod is going to be brand new.

I tried looking on Daiwa's website, but there aren't even any fly rods listed on there. It makes me wonder just how old this thing really is. Google didn't give me any results, either. The blank itself seems like a decent glass blank, so I've got something reasonable to work with.

Thank you for the suggestions and information, fellas :)

Date: June 03, 2023 08:46AM

Daiwa produced fly rods up through the mid 1980's, many from it's rod plant in California. It was not unusual for many manufacturers, Daiwa included, to build their handles on aluminum or carbon tubes and then glue the rod shafts into those. This allowed them to build handles in one plant and rods in another, and join then as the last step in the manufacturing process.

Date: June 03, 2023 11:18AM

That fits the description perfectly. Very interesting, thank you, Tom. I can see why this would have been a common practice for many.

Date: June 03, 2023 12:52PM

Here's something else to file away for a future repair - When they moved to exposed blank reel seats, Daiwa very used handle sleeves that were painted or patterned to match the rod blank so that when a customer looked at the rod, he wouldn't know the handle and blank were actually two separate pieces glued together. The knock, of course, was that the two-piece construction would be less sensitive than the single piece (highly doubtful) and customers would shun the rods if they knew the handle wasn't actually built and adhered directly to the rod blank itself.

Date: June 04, 2023 01:34PM

Seeing the sleeve definitely confirmed my initial suspicion that it wasn't a high end rod lol. But it means something to my buddy, so I'll do what I can to make him happy with it. Thank you for the information, Tom. I really appreciate it!

Date: June 05, 2023 10:14AM

Please don't think that because a rod is made in two parts that it isn't a "high end" rod. This construction method has been used by many well known companies and often on some of their most expensive rods. Whether the rod you have is one of Daiwa's high end models would have more to do with the materials used to make it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster