I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed Reel Seats
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: May 06, 2023 11:00PM

What is the point if you have to use an insert in order for them to fit the blank? It seems to me that defeats the purpose. I don't use exposed reel seats as my belief is once the seat is epoxied to the blank, vibrations will resonate through the blank and on into the seat, and the grips for that matter. It just seems to me if I have to put an insert (carbon fiber) in between the blank and seat, what's the difference in that and just using a regular reel seat? Either way, there's going to be something between your finger and the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed Reel Seats
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 07, 2023 12:30AM

Who said you needed to use an insert? That is a phenomenon started recently, for decades reel seats that were made that didn't need them, the Fuji ECSM for instance, but everyone makes one.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 07, 2023 05:11AM

If all that is being exposed in the reel seat is an insert, then it's not an exposed reel seat. Exposed reel seats expose a portion of the blank that your hand or finger can come in direct contact with.

Date: May 07, 2023 01:55PM

Spencer, no one said it. The components for a build showed up at my door and there’s a seat and an insert. It doesn’t make any sense to me. Again, kind of defeats the purpose, IMO. But, I don’t use exposed seats on rods I build for myself. Thus, why I’m asking. Is this a common practice? Am I supposed to trim the insert to expose the blank? I don’t see that being very comfortable, however.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2023 04:04PM

In my opinion, if an exposed blank reel seat requires an insert it is not an exposed blank reel seat. The insert is there for cosmetics.
Norm

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 07, 2023 04:15PM

For an exposed reel seat to work the ID of the reel seat has to match the OD of the blank, thus your fingers are directly on the blank.

If you have use an insert, then after the insert is is installed in the reel seat the insert around the reel seat slot must be cut away to expose the blank so you can still place your fingers directly on the blank, but there will be a recess in the contour of the reel seat and the insert will exposed around the perimeter of the slot which may have to be blended in, the result may be uncomfortable or unsightly..For this reason I have never had the desire to use a exposed reel seat.

Have fun

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 07, 2023 08:21PM

Dave and Norm, 100%.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 12:25AM

There is a practicality issue here for manufacturers. If you go in half mm increments, it takes about 14 different models to cover the common sizes. That is the number of MVT casting seat sizes produced by Batson. This is likely much of the reason they cost two to five times more than parallel choices that use the one-size fits all inserts. The nuts or hoods are also sold separately as the number of style and color choices in these multiplied by fourteen would make for a huge inventory issue.

Reaming to size by builders isn’t a great option. Most tapered reamers are far too coarse in grit to leave neat edges on reel seat windows. Reaming carbon or nylon would also be much harder than cork or foam. Nylon would likely melt if reamed with a power drill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2023 12:26AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: George Forster (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 06:30AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Just for grins-here's a "very exposed" reel seat. I built this 13 years ago, and still haven't fished it! I sacrificed most of the seat, and just used the threaded portion of the barrel.

I'm making a trip to the northwoods of Wisconsin, in July. Hoping to slime it up a bit, on Pike and Smallmouth. Hope the 50" Musky can wait til I bust out the 11 wt. I'm about to build.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2023 07:36AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:52AM

Nice looking rod, George.

Date: May 08, 2023 09:11AM

For an exposed blank casting reel seat I use the Fuji ECS or ACS reel seats. These reel seat has been around a long time and are made to fit the blank. They are excellent reel seats and are priced right.
Norm

Date: May 08, 2023 10:14AM

Thanks Norm. That would be my preference. Again, I don’t personally use exposed seats, but if I did, I wouldn’t put an insert under it.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 08, 2023 12:53PM

Vibration- Wikipedia;
Vibration is a mechanical phenomenon whereby oscillations occur about an equilibrium point.

In all my years of fishing I have never experienced a vibration or an oscillation through my reel seat.

The reaction I feel is a pulling on the tip or an occasional bump or a steady force pulling my rod.

Sometimes, I hold and watch my the line, any bumps or pulling I feel comes through the line and this activity is no way linked the reel seat.

In both cases I don’t believe the reel seat whether exposed or not has anything to do with letting me know there’s a fish striking my lure. Also, when I am winter fishing and wear gloves the type of reel seat is moot.

Exposed reel seats look impressive but IMO offer no real advantage over standard reel seats. Also they require more care and effort to install.

It is not my intention to discourage the use of exposed reel seats but just passing on my experience and why I prefer not to use them.

Have fun

Date: May 08, 2023 01:17PM

I'm with you John, an truly exposed seat might make palming the reel a little more comfortable, but once you start gluing and wrapping things on everything becomes a part of the whole and trying to pick apart the importance of what seat you have on is of no value except ergonomically. If the blank is under 12 mm in diameter, I can't handle a skeleton casting seat, or any size spinning seat built that way.

Date: May 08, 2023 01:36PM

John, you articulated my feelings better than I could have on the matter. I wasn’t going to mention anything about why I don’t use them, but since you did, I’ll add my wholehearted 100% agreement with you. However, I know my acquaintance well enough to know he’s about as stubborn with his opinions as I am so I’ll just figure out how to deal with the insert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2023 01:46PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Date: May 08, 2023 01:46PM

The reel seat will not fit properly without the insert. So go ahead and use it. It will work just fine as well as look good.
Norm

Date: May 08, 2023 02:13PM

Seen a lot of people not pay attention to the insert max diameter and find their blank is to big.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 08, 2023 07:16PM

I'm curious what seat is being talked about? And is this a seat the customer insisted on being used?

Sounds like one of the Fuji or American Tackle seats with an insert that is exposed. A one size fits many kind of thing. Also sounds as if it's a seat that's going to require an arbor (s) of some sort in order for it to fit properly.

I don't have a lot of experience with different reel seats, so with that said, the only reel seats I am aware of that have an insert and a window that exposes the blank, are the Alps MVT and Tex Touch casting reel seats. Which are super sweet seats, but you have to order them by ID so they will fit the blank where you want them to.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---)
Date: May 09, 2023 03:49PM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spencer, no one said it. The components for a
> build showed up at my door and there’s a seat
> and an insert. It doesn’t make any sense to me.
> Again, kind of defeats the purpose, IMO. But, I
> don’t use exposed seats on rods I build for
> myself. Thus, why I’m asking. Is this a common
> practice? Am I supposed to trim the insert to
> expose the blank? I don’t see that being very
> comfortable, however.

There are exposed seats that fit snug to the blank and there are some that requires inserts. You have to know which ones are which and order the correct one you want. Gotta do a little more research before ordering to choose the one that suits you the best.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (209.52.88.---)
Date: May 09, 2023 08:35PM

I don’t mind the look or feel of an exposed seat. But it’s such a pain to get the right sizing on hand and being in Canada ordering a reel seat to fit a blank on its own costs way too much to bother. So insert and simplicity it is for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster