I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 2-Line Static Load Testing VS Progressive Spacing for Guide Placement?!?!
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 11, 2023 01:31PM

Kevin -

You made me remember when I was new to rod-building. To your specific questions:

1.) When I was new to the craft, I got my money's worth from the learning bank (forum) and did all tests you listed - sounds like a good way to go about placing guides starting with the KR GPS calculator. A very good sequence that won't let you down. Tweak as needed along the way.

2.) David and Mark have nailed it with regards to your second question. There is likely a very good reason Fuji made little to no distinctions between Rod Actions in their KR Concept guide placement calculations. Rather, the emphasis is on Line Type/Size and the Distance from the Reel Spool face/axel to the Reduction Train and Choker.. Braided line was such a game changer and precipitated a paradigm shift at Fuji, IMO....so much so, they created an entire category of guides to respond to it. I agree with what many have said already; start with the recommended KR placements in your prelim stage, and make tweaks if you think are needed.

Aim small, miss small.

I suggest following your testing steps rather than skip some parts of it (for now) for a few reasons: A.. I benefitted from all the experiences of others and trying things out; I found there is a certain quality of knowledge and understanding that comes from personal experience that can be obtained no other way. B. Many experienced builders did or still do all your steps; the ones that still do it have found value in it, and those that don't probably figured out what works best for them through similar testing at some point. C. My last thought involves building confidence in the process and the final product; when the senses and data all line up, you are on to something.

David is giving you some great wisdom here when you read where he finds the critical points of his guide trains: the Butt Guide and the Choke Guide. Getting the guide size and spacing right, based on his line type and size, was mentioned as more critical than even missing a running guide. (Please correct me, David, if I am misunderstanding you!)

A reminder to myself: It is important to do static line testing in stages from light load to a full load for that rod's use and purpose. I think about my reel's drag as a part of the overall system that can control the amount of load my rod will ultimately endure.

Bottom line, there is that Forgiveness Factor built in to all rods. So, always forgive yourself for wanting to fish more and work less!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 04:15PM

Les, you're exactly right in your interpretation on how I look at it. And I got the way I look at it, from my interpretation of how Fuji looks at it.

The fine folks at Fuji are supplying the wisdom. I'm just sharing how I apply it. But thanks for the compliment. I do appreciate it.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 11, 2023 09:21PM

One change I’ve seen over a few decades is that tapers and construction techniques have become more refined. At moderate and above quality levels it’s rare for contemporary blanks to have abrupt shutoff, flat, or hinge points. When these still exist, they are usually purposeful to a technique. More guides combined with fairer bending blanks equal less guide adjustments from a a good, progressive starting point. I often build on SCV and SCIV blanks. I am continually impressed with the refinement of their tapers. Fast and moderate fast blanks in these two series bend very fair. Conversely, some blanks from thirty or more years ago have definite hinges behind the tip and in front of the fore grip. Other zones on these stay mostly flat. Two line static testing would be a must on everyone of these. I wouldn’t trust consistency on two of the same model number on many of these.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 12, 2023 12:50AM

I use the "Equal Angle" Method.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 18, 2023 11:58PM

Kerry,
Thanks for the reply. I am unfamiliar with the “Equal Angle Method” for positioning / spacing guides. I would certainly be interested in exploring another method if you would please explain / elaborate.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 19, 2023 01:07AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kerry,
> Thanks for the reply. I am unfamiliar with the
> “Equal Angle Method” for positioning / spacing
> guides. I would certainly be interested in
> exploring another method if you would please
> explain / elaborate.

I made my large plexiglas graph many many years ago based on a discussion by DON MORTON. Last I heard these graphs were being sold by RENZETTI. Check with them, dealing with a dying grandchild and don't feel like discussing, sorry.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster