I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guide choice for inshore saltwater rod
Posted by: Rory Macomber (204.100.121.---)
Date: March 31, 2023 11:25AM

Hey guys,
I've been building fly rods for a while and now I'm looking to build a couple conventional rods for SoCal local species. 8ft, 20-40lb, general purpose rods while I sort out what kind of arsenal I want to build. I'm looking at all the fuji alconite offerings and my head is spinning. KW, LKW, MN, HN. I was thinking MNs as I don't need the heaviest duty stuff, but any input you have regarding guide choice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Rory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide choice for inshore saltwater rod
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: March 31, 2023 11:34AM

I would think your decision tree should revolve around two factors: corrosion from the saltwater, and the line/leaders you plan to use.

Full disclosure: I’m a freshwater bass angler

Date: March 31, 2023 11:53AM

Just found the Angler's Rsrc link. I'll hunt there before I get flamed here. Let you know what I decide

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 31, 2023 12:33PM

Sounds like you're on the right track. I always go Fuji for the quality; never had a failure. Because it's salt, go titanium, and for hot-running salt water fish of substantial size, I would go with the SIC rings on all guides and tiptop.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: March 31, 2023 03:15PM

I use the the alconite CC guides on my saltwater rods and haven’t noticed any rust issues. I’m only fish salt a couple weeks a year but If you want to be safe use titanium. The guys on the striper forum all seem to use the fuji alconite guides. For your build I’d choose the KW’s.

Date: March 31, 2023 03:51PM

KWs is what I was leaning towards. They seem like a good balance of strength and weight. Is the standard for the smallest guides and tip top a size 8 or can I get away with smaller?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 31, 2023 04:49PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like you're on the right track. I always
> go Fuji for the quality; never had a failure.
> Because it's salt, go titanium, and for
> hot-running salt water fish of substantial size, I
> would go with the SIC rings on all guides and
> tiptop.

What guides you to SiC over the Torzite? I’ve never broken either but have read that SiC is more brittle. The price difference isn’t great in the titanium frames. I’m not arguing, but just trying to understand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2023 04:55PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 31, 2023 05:26PM

Fuji MN in alconite is a solid proven choice for mono. For braid KW would be better.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 31, 2023 06:22PM

I'd look at the JDGLB80ML-CG for your weight class, I like the XNZG Alps guides, Ti if you like, but I don't see why others won't work. Guide size depends on what you have passing through the guides, 8 mm is a fairly safe bet for just about anything. I have an XL that I like for Kelp beds, and the like just about anywhere.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 31, 2023 08:49PM

>>What guides you to SiC over the Torzite? I

Price. I've never had a "brittle" SIC fail. While Torzite may be the "best," it may be overkill.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 01:01AM

Rory,
Good replies above, especially those suggesting Fuji guides. For a 40lb saltwater rod, you will be hard-pressed finding a better guide than KWAGs in your choice of color, CC or BC. Yes, Ti is corrosion-proof but the new corrosion control finishes are quite up to the task and are available in more reasonably priced ring choices. No need for SiC, SiN or Torzite! Size 8 runners will work reliably very well, with size 6 certainly not out of the question. My last comment = SPIRAL WRAP IT!!! You will not regret it!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 07:41AM

If your going to use a braid to leader I’d go with size 8, if using straight mono I’d use the 6’s. My rod is also a 20-40lbs and I paired it with a Tranx 400. The butt guide is a 12kw to a 10kw then the rest are 8’s.
I also spiral wraped them.

What reel are you planning to use? This helps to know to choice the right size butt guide.

Posted by: Rory Macomber (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 09:32AM

I have my eyes set on an Accurate Tern 2 for a reel, planning on going braid to mono. Good to hear I don’t necessarily need Ti. Sounds like I’ll be going with some out of the KW series! I’ll look into spiral wrapping them too. I’m hoping to get the build going by the middle of next week!

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 09:47AM

I’ve used the Fuji gunsmoke SIC for a couple recent builds. Pretty nice and cost savings. The AT tiForged are reasonable but I don’t have any long term tests with them.
I just did a SJ804 with KW 10-8- 6’s to tip and a 6.5 tip. 30lb braid to 30 leader with an older Komodo 364. It is a nice setup. I really like the tactile feel of the NFC solftouch grips. I really hope they expand the line.

Date: April 01, 2023 09:48AM

Definitely a tangent. I just came off reading a LONG thread about Fuji new concept stuff and the “concentric rings” of huge stripper, medium stripper, then the smallest guides you can get away with. Now I’m looking at the spiral wrap (and it makes total sense to get the guides on the bottom), but isn’t that disrupting the line in exactly the way that the Fuji concept is trying to avoid?

For the record I’m game to go spiral, that’s the fun of building my own stuff!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 10:09AM

Your line naturally wants to be on the bottom, by load, by gravity, it ultimately can give you the straightest line path there is.

Date: April 01, 2023 01:27PM

line on the bottom makes sense to me.

BCKWAGs ordered!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 02, 2023 12:58AM

Rory,
Good choice on guides; you will not be disappointed. Also, good choice on spiral wrapping the guides; again, you will not be disappointed. There are numerous spiral wrap methods to get the line to the bottom of the rod. While in the end, they all accomplish that, some are better than others. The main thing to strive for is the straightest line path through the guides, both loaded and unloaded, while keeping the line off the blank. 2-line static load testing will be your friend and reveal all!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 02, 2023 09:43AM

Mark, without a blank in hand I was thinking about 30-45° rotation. Also can you give me a quick explanation of 2 line vs standard?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2023 10:26AM

Rory - Read this for doing the two line static test.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I like a spiral wrap with guides offset about 0, 60, and 120, to the runners at 180 degrees. The angles are approximate and the idea is to try and get a straight line path. This type of spiral just looks better to me and it casts and handles fish extremely well. There are a number of other variations for doing a spiral wrap including the simple spiral, and they all work.
Norm

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster