I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Converting Shimano Tiralejo 12' conventional to Hybrid spinner
Posted by: Paul Shorrock (154.160.14.---)
Date: March 22, 2023 05:32PM

Hi all am new to this forum and new to rod building. i live in Ghana, West Africa. There are no fishing shops or clubs here so i have to do everythng myself. So forgive me if i ask a lot of noob questions.
I am a mechanical engineer and have basically built and maintained everything myself, cars, boats , motorbikes, fishing reels , you name it. But as i mentioned rod building is new to me.

i am looking to convert my Shimano Tiralejo 12' conventional casting rod to something i can use with both my conventional Saltiga 50HK (which is on it now) and my Stella SW 14k XG (2019)

I am looking to change out the first three guides to two Fuji RV-H and KW-M and then maintan the remaining KW 10 Alconites. (old original concept guides)

bear in mind , as i want to make it a hybrid rod i will leave the runners in place as they are in position for the conventional aspect of the rod and will only change the reduction guides for the spinning aspect.

As it is a conventional the guides are quite close (i have listed all details in a pdf / spreadsheet) so is going to be a compromise (by the very nature of it being a hybrid) and thus is difficult to get a perfect flow of line as i do not want to get into changing the actual existing guide placemets.

reason for that is i dont really have confidence in removing the finish under the guides and re finishing back to the original carbon/clear finish without making a mess. so is easier for me to place the new guides on top of old..

i have a detailed pdf of all the dimensions and proposed guides etc but dont know how to post it on here.

Reel dia is 2.8 inches and face extended is 45 inches from first guide. if ican somehow get the pdf to you guys you should have all the info needed....i thnk..

if you pm me i can email the whole pdf and spread sheet if that helps

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2023 05:42PM by Paul Shorrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Converting Shimano Tiralejo 12' conventional to Hybrid spinner
Date: March 22, 2023 05:59PM

Inches Exisitng Guides Hybrid Height
Face of stella 14k to first guide.....45 KW-16M RV- 25H 55.9
Guide 1-2 ......15.5 KW12 RV -16H 36.2
Guide 2-3 ......13 KW10 10M 18.1
Guide3-4 .......11 KW10 KW10 15.2
Guide 4-5 ......10 KW10 KW10
Guide 5-6 .......9 KW10 KW10
Guide 6-7 ......8.25 KW10 KW10
Guide 7-8 .....7.5 KW10 KW10
Guide 8-9 .....6.75 KW10 KW10
Guide 9-Tip .....6.25 GMMNST-12-10

my concern is the drop from the RV-16H to the 10M as the distance is 11 inches

Reel Shimano Stella SW14K
Rod Shimano Tiralejo 12'
Power:Heavy
Action:Fast
Braid: 30 to 80 i will use 40lb
Lure: 4-10oz

i will be casting 6-7oz lead plus bait and 5oz lures/poppers from beach

Re: Converting Shimano Tiralejo 12' conventional to Hybrid spinner
Date: March 22, 2023 06:09PM

Darn after all that when i post the formatting goes wonky and too difficult to decipher

basically first 3 guides on rod are

KW16M
KW 12
KW 10

remaining 6 runners are KW10

i want to change to
T2RVSG-25SH
T2RVSG-16SH
T2KWSG-10SM
and keep remaining KW10 runners

Disatnce from Stella face to first guide is 45 inches then (i use a low mount reel)

Guide 1-2 15.5"
Guide 2-3 13"
Guide 3-4 11"
Guide 4-5 10"
Guide 5-6 9"
Guide 6-7 8.25"
Guide 7-8 7.5"
Guide 8-9 6.75"
Guide 9-Tip 6.25"

Does this look a reasonable schedule or should i just stick with a regular KW 30 stripper etc instead of the RV-H guides and will the short distances between the guides affect the line lay too much ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2023 05:54AM by Paul Shorrock.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster