I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spiral Wrap BFS UL
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 12:05AM

Follow your heart. Try it out! Be happy and confident in what you do! Take responsibility for the outcomes of your choices whether to your liking or not!

And please, share what you have learned and experienced here on the forum.

My favorite go-to rod for Northern Canada fishing for big pike and walleye is a St. Croix 69MLXF spiral wrapped rod with ALL #4 Guides (butt guide, bumper, to tip top). Not a BFS rig as per the definition, but relatively light line (#10 Trilene XL) and rod (ML) for the size of fish up above the 56th parallel. Bait Finesse is relative to the quarry, yes or no? Never felt over-matched up there. Why not combine BFS with a spiral wrap and light line? It's a no brainer.

Here in Kansas, I like BFS on my NFC 721 X-Ray throwing 1/16 to 1/8th oz. jigs for pre-spawn/staging crappie in April - admittedly non spiral wrap. However, I like a spiral wrap for vertical jigging in the fall thru the dead of winter with a bait casting rig for crappie, wiper, walleye and white bass. Bait casting rigs have a different aesthetic and feel that is uniquely appealing. Light line and lures on a bait caster is a staple for me - conventional or spiral wrap.

I think of BFS like I do about any rig for fishing. Will it throw what I want to throw? Will it fish what I want to fish for? What feels good to me on the 'above water' end of the deal? A jerk on one end....

What challenges or thrills you for the way you want to fish? Go with that! Spiral wraps are great for any rod, line, situation, or fish you want to catch, IMO.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 08:20AM

Great reply Les.

I got into BFS for inshore as the fish were gorging on small glass minnows and I couldn’t toss anything that small. I know, I could have used a spinner….. Got one of them new fangled reels and stepped down in rod weight and enjoyed the flex! I’m not in deeper water, so the drag and butt do the work.

The spiral seems to work well for any tip up fishing, especially kayak or canoe fore me. I still default to traditional if I am standing on the bow fishing tip down, but that could just be habit.

Posted by: Robert Henry (---)
Date: January 09, 2024 09:55AM

Similar inshore story for me Tim. Needed accurate delivery of very light lures for our crystal clear flats and extremely spooky fish.
The spiral wrap is a Cagey Hook and is doing its final cure now. I’ll go throw some Neds/miniature T-rigs at redfish this weekend and report back. I think it’ll help when fighting a slot red on an UL, which I recommend everyone tries.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster