I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Wrapping Is Hard
Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 08:45AM

I wanted to say thank you again!

I successfully wrapped a 9-ft fly rod with 10 or 11 snake guides and a frog rod yesterday. I only had one guide needing to be redone.

Two big ah ha moments...
- insert earlier, almost twice as much as I was doing previously.
- untied pull loop and pull one end through

Previously I was using a pull loop I made with a knot in it. I didn't realize how much easier it comes through when you can pull one end of the loop separate from the other.

Cutting before pull through now and have zero fuzzy tags!

Now I need to work on getting the wrap started, sometimes I struggle. Especially out towards the tip. This is where the size D becomes a disadvantage.

Question on thread sizing: I would think D wraps up the feet better than C. Even grinding the feet, I had a thought time with larger guides and even the snake guides popping through. Perhaps the C would have been better on the small REC snake guide feet.

Great stuff!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 10:51AM

Rob -

What size thread did you use on your fly rod? Size D thread wraps up a steep-angled guide foot easier, yes; and also creates other problems you mentioned. The issue may not be the thread size as much as your guide foot prep.

I want to make a guide foot ramp that is more like a wheelchair ramp than a curb. Bottom line, an angle that my thread can climb smoothly.

I use size A thread, so tend to do some careful prep on all my guide feet first - particularly where the front edge meets the blank. I want this area to be close to flat to the blank. As a flat front edge can make a sharp edge, I dull it down with some 600-800 grit sandpaper on all sides that were filed/ground, and drag it across my thumbnail to make sure it is not a knife edge. Micro guides are already small and low and need minimal prep, if any, IME

Trial and Error:
* Try several sizes of thread on test wraps. Find the size that works for you right now. Maybe size B? As you improve, move to smaller sizes which have many advantages for smaller diameter rods/tips and guides.
* Try several test wraps on an old or cheap rod. I don't suggest a wooden dowel (unless hardwood) as the thread will bite into the softer material. Test thread size and guide foot prep angles for what works for you.
* Use a packing tool (fingernail, Bic pen cap, or commercially made tool) to keep wraps close together. I make three to five wraps and then pack the thread close together.

Finally, the most important thing is your enthusiasm and willingness to learn, which comes through clearly! Once you get it, you got it! Just a matter of time and experience for you to become as good as you want to be!

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 26, 2023 05:53PM

I found a little trick for getting the thread up on the occasional stubborn guide foot. Use a piece of thread similar to the pull through, but don't use a closed loop. Wrap the pull through thread around the wrap as it's coming around and up the foot. Hold pressure so it can slide off the ramp. Once you have a few wraps on the ramp, simply let go of one end of the pull through and pull it gently away from the foot. It'll come out clean and then just continue. Of course, the best thing to do is make sure the guide foot is ground proper to begin with, but I admit I have the occasional guide, that could've been ground a bit better, slip past me.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster