I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glidebait Rod
Posted by: Finn Sorhaug (86.48.15.---)
Date: February 12, 2023 01:36PM

Currently looking into building a swimbait rod, that will mainly be used for glide baits in the 1.5-3.5 oz range, Deps 175, Swaver 168 etc.

I'm leaning toward either an NFC 806 SWB IM or an NFC 807 SWB IM.

So, which of the two blanks would fit my specs best? Or are there others I should also consider?

Finn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glidebait Rod
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 02:12PM

Maybe Aleks can jump in with more specific information on those blanks. My question of a few days ago on jigging to casting conversion is actually about glidebaits. I use lighter ones on a 7’6” moderate fast Point Blank (PB761HM). I like it a lot for the this use. I tend to think that hard, moving baits with treble hooks should be fished on moderate to moderate fast action rods. Others may have a different preference.

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 04:26PM

I have the SWB 807 IM for glide baits in that range and I really like it. The SWB 806 is rated at 3oz max so it may be too light for the larger baits.

I think the BB 809 would work as well, if you want something with a more parabolic action.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 12, 2023 07:33PM

I see that Megabass has a moderate fast action rod as their glidebait offering. United Composites has moderate and moderate fast rods in their line. Tackle Warehouse in their glidebait gear guide recommends more parabolic type of actions. A custom rod building business called Alpha Angler sells a moderate fast action rod named “Wide Glide” for glidebaits. There are plenty of fast action rods rated for swimbaits, which can be anything from glidebaits to softbaits with single hooks. There are also huge numbers of observations and complaints about missed fish on hard swimbaits. Either way, glidebait specific rods from three highly respected sources (I just don’t know anything about Alpha to make it four) are slower than fast in action.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 07:00AM

Check out the BB805, It’s rated to cover the 1-6oz and it’s mod-fast. I also prefer mod or mod-fast rods for large swimbaits and most treble hook baits.

Posted by: Finn Sorhaug (185.203.219.---)
Date: February 15, 2023 02:18PM

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster