I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting to jigging weight conversion & two uses
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 10, 2023 02:05PM

Hello, I’m exploring building a rod that would work very well for rockfish jigging and throwing swimbaits to bass. I think it should be doable, but I’d appreciate some thoughts. At times I would vertically use jigs almost twice as heavy as the swimbaits I would cast. I can’t find a conversion for these ratings, does anyone have experience or knowledge in this area? I’m preliminarily looking at the United Composites-Swimbait Finatic UC711M or the Rod Geeks-Bass3 C3710XHF. I didn’t find anything in the Rainshadow or North Fork lines quit in this range. I’d butt-cut any down slightly to 7’9” to fit the stout travel tube I built for other rods. I’m waffling a little between fast and moderate-fast actions, as well. Durability is important, but I still want to be reasonably light. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting to jigging weight conversion & two uses
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2023 06:51PM

I also have no experience with what you are asking. However, RodGeek’s X comp blanks are designed for duel use. Here is the chart they have, which may be of some help.
[cdn.shopify.com]
Norm

Date: February 10, 2023 07:51PM

Thank you, I am pleasantly surprised how light the X-Comps are. I’ll be throwing hard swimbaits on this rod in the two to three ounce range. I’ll use it more for rockfish with a maximum of six ounces of jig and fly. I know that vertical jigging takes less rod power than casting per lure weight, I don’t know by what ratio, though. I’m more leaning now towards medium-fast than fast for action. If I can cover two uses really well, it will be better than building two rods that could be similar. I built a UC79Mega that will be the rockfish backup. It’s more for Lingcod, but it isn’t insanely heavy for a BU. The problem with rockfish is that you occasionally catch a skate, lingcod, or even a halibut. These are much harder to lift.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 10, 2023 08:50PM

Kendall,

So, you want a 2-6 oz. lure range, 7'9" length, and mod-fast action with some power for when you get into that bigger fish.

Just keep in mind that you could end up with one rod that is just so-so for either technique.

Me, I'd look for the one best rod for EACH technique (that I can afford). And if I found that rod or rods, make a new rod tube(s) to fit my blank, rather than cut my rod to fit the tube I have on hand.

Just my take. I hope you find what you want!!

Date: February 10, 2023 11:33PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also have no experience with what you are
> asking. However, RodGeek’s X comp blanks are
> designed for duel use. Here is the chart they
> have, which may be of some help.
> [cdn.shopify.com]
> iles/Rod-Geeks_X-Comp-Series_Spec-Sheet.pdf?v=1669
> 136112
> Norm

Thanks again Norman, I went back to the X-Comp tables and see that in this weight range that series has a 1:3 ratio between casting weight and jigging weight. I’m only pushing about 1:1.5 or half that in the most extreme choice I may make.

Date: February 11, 2023 12:34AM

Thank’s Les,
The rod tube is already a wildebeest to check-in and transport in a hotel shuttle or my personal SUV. I could get away with a 7’10” rod in it. It’s better to keep things easy for TSA, though. I use the taco method to try to do that. I think there is enough latitude in jigging actions and preferences that it can work if I can get the power right.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 11, 2023 06:13PM

Kendall,

Right on, man!

The only rod I have in that range is an 8-footer, and 1/2 to 3 oz. lure range. A bit long and light for what you need.

Wish I could help more with personal experience!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster