I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread art "twill woven" pattern
Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.51-185.alenia.it)
Date: February 08, 2023 06:58AM

Hi all,
I'm building a spinning rod using the Lamiglas Texalium tube as a handle.
I'd like to make a simple thread artwork (about 10 cm over the foregrip) to follow the pattern of the texalium tube (twill woven).
Can anyone help me by suggesting a simple scheme (2 colors) to follow or where can I find appropriate information on the net?

Thank you for your support
Marco Cellini

Re: Thread art "twill woven" pattern
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 10:33PM

Marco,
You are asking for quite a bit! I certainly do not have any suggestions, but Maybe Rich Forhan has some “Magic Wand” recommendations.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.51-185.alenia.it)
Date: February 09, 2023 03:25AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marco,
> You are asking for quite a bit! I certainly do not
> have any suggestions, but Maybe Rich Forhan has
> some “Magic Wand” recommendations.

Thank you Mark.

Marco Cellini

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2023 09:08AM

What you have is just a pattern based on multiple axis. Very simple to do.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.15-151.wind.it)
Date: February 09, 2023 12:17PM

Thanks Tom, could you please provide me some contact/link where I can get instructions to do this? I'm sorry but I'm a beginner with the practice of thrad art.

Marco Cellini

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: February 09, 2023 12:28PM

I’m assuming you want to mimic something like this?

I would do this as a multi-axis chevron wrapped in bands of thread. To get the best effect you’d need to do at least 8, but most likely more axis which would be a bit challenging to keep up with when wrapping - but you’re also likely to only be doing a couple colors and wrapping in bands. By wrapping in bands I mean wrapping multiple threads at a time - say 3-5.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2023 12:36PM

Michael has given you the simple answer.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 09, 2023 12:37PM

If you’re going to get into the world of decorative wraps I’d recommend Billy Vivona’s book “Decorative Wraps” - covers the fundamentals and foundations and info / patterns for more complex wraps.

A chevron is the most basic - just crossing of threads on one direction down the blank. What wi make this a bit more complex is the need to space it so it “closes” - where he threads you’re wrapping meet ones you started earlier - and then doing this on a large number of axis around the blank.

I definitely also recommend you get or make a “butt alignment jig” and a circle template to mark your blank, and then use the spacing to mark your starting cross points.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.15-151.wind.it)
Date: February 09, 2023 01:42PM

Yes Michael, you assuming well !
OK, I'll start to study.

Marco Cellini

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2023 01:44PM by Marco Cellini.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster