I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat nfc fast glass
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: January 18, 2023 06:17PM

So I’m building a nfc fastbglass, where I want the reel seat to end up is roughly 14mm 13.995mm to be exact, I purchased a size 16 crb gec2 reel seat with a ct150 insert. The insert doesn’t fit the reel seat or the blank to where I need it to. Contacted mud hole about it not fitting reel seat and they said it’s the wrong insert so that’s solved. But my question is what size should I be using a 16 or 17 I want to use the insert because without it the reel seat still has a pretty sizable gap between it and the rod blank.

Re: Reel seat nfc fast glass
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2023 06:52PM

Most size 16 reel seat seats have an ID of about 15 - 15.5 mm, if an insert is used the ID is reduced to about 13 mm or less. So for your blank, don’t use a size 16 reel seat requiring an insert. Doesn’t look like there is a 17 CRB GEC2 casting reel seat. You could use a Fuji ESCM reel seat in a size 14. It should work fine. It’s still one of my favorite seats.
Norm

Date: January 18, 2023 07:48PM

Sounds good thanks norm! Now I kinda wanted a reel seat with a hidden thread locking hood the American tackle g2 has a ID of 0.600 with insert and is a size 16 would this work??

Date: January 18, 2023 09:13PM

The specifications for the CRB CT150 CF insert for the GEC2 seat states it has an ID of 14mm (.551”), so it may fit your blank. It will be close but should fit. I guess I should have looked at the specs first before replying.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2023 09:28PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (73.150.189.---)
Date: January 18, 2023 10:24PM

So I already bought it and received it and it says it fits the reel seat but in fact doesn’t, the insert will fit only to where the blank hits that .551 mark and no further it’s definitely too tight, and the reel seat without the insert is literally right in that sweet spot where it’s just still too big and would leave too much of a gap between it and where the blank would be exposed

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 18, 2023 11:12PM

Lay down some finish and then try it.

Date: January 18, 2023 11:34PM

Save that reel seat for another build on a thinner blank. The Fuji ECSM and the Fuji ACS reels seats will both fit your blank. Get the 14 mm size and if needed they can be reamed to fit the blank. They don’t need an insert and you are in direct contact with the blank not an insert. You can use the Fuji KSKSS or a cut down KDPS hidden thread hood with these seats. In fact, the unilock hood for the CRB seat may fit the Fuji seats. I have never used a CRB seat, but hoods from some (but not all) manufacturers will fit seats of other manufacturers.
Norm

Date: January 19, 2023 10:20AM

Spencer I never thought of that I like that idea, and norm I’m definitely keeping it mud hole just called and is sending me a new insert free of charge so that’s really awesome they are doing that. I will look into those reel seat that sounds nice not needing an insert! Thanks both of yous big big help!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster