I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: North fork blank problems?
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2023 10:18AM

Good, it may take a little time but I’m sure they will get back to you. They have treated me fairly in the past.
Norm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 11:08AM

Oh I’m sure they will I’m not that worried about it anymore I may have exaggerated about exactly how bad it I went back and looked it’s definitely not perfectly straight that a definite but it also isn’t as bad as I originally thought

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 11:59AM

Brandon,
Simply put, if you receive a product from a vendor that you don't like or can't or won't use - simply send it back and ask for a replacement or a refund.

Nothing else needs to be asked or said.

Best wishes.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 02:10PM

Only blank manufacturer that I have literally received flawlessly straight blanks ( At least to the eye) is CTS and the most amazing part about it is they have all been surf blanks in the 10 /1/2 - 12 foot length . Don't know how they do it but it's truly remarkable .

Date: January 06, 2023 02:38PM

I never said I wasn’t happy with the blank. I really like it, it’ll be a amazing bladed jig rod apfg 745. I was just concerned if this was going to be an issue while building

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2023 02:54PM by Brandon fennimore.

Date: January 06, 2023 02:55PM

But I have a few crb blanks that are straight…

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2023 03:16PM

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your note, and thank you for purchasing a USA Made blank.

I've looked into your order, and it looks like you ordered a Fast Glass blank. Glass properties are very much different than carbon - and one of those property differences is that glass is not as stiff as carbon.

This means that you can have a perfectly straight blank, but because of its length and power, it will "droop" over the length of the blank.

Although Fast Glass is stiffer than normal glass, having a curve in the blank is to be expected. Having a curve does not affect any performance properties of the blank, and with glass, we will be unable to ship a blank that is perfectly straight.

Best Regards,
Aleks

Date: January 06, 2023 04:07PM

Hey man thanks a bunch for clarifying that! I love the blank I just didn’t know that’s all I’m happy with my purchase. I didn’t want anyone to think I was being rude or saying negative things because it really is a nice blank lol

Date: January 06, 2023 04:07PM

Thank you so much again

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 04:34PM

"I am not making this point specific to the company mentioned in this post. It’s my strong belief, though, that “wonky” tips are far from okay from any manufacturer. I would never build on one. It’s the part of the blank that is most going to influence most parameters of rod performance. Bent, bulging, or twisted fibers and profiles are just not going to perform according to design or at full strength. There is no way that flex characteristics won’t be affected. It’s simple physics. A bend or uneven diameter in this most critical zone has to result in some level of “point loading”, there is simply, absolutely no other outcome."

I am definitely with Kendall on this one. The "problem" here may not really be a problem at all, but someone who is participating on this site is expressing a concern that is real to him. I don't think consciously purchasing a product form any manufacturer because it has a reputation for its quality and expertise in the manufacture of that product should result in disappointment. That's why you seek out those companies. You expect the best, and for some third party to assume that there actually is no problem sight unseen is unfair. To assume that there is a problem is also unfair.

There are people who chimed in here that stated that they have essentially always received relatively straight blanks from NFC. Personally, I have had the same experience for the most part, but once in a while you get one that you just wish what you see wasn't there. I received one just a few days ago that sure enough was straight as an arrow. So there are a lot of straight blanks out there.

BUT...as Norm suggested, even if we all saw a picture of the product in question, and we all debated as to whether or not there was any reason for concern (and that is bound to happen :-) ), the only party who can best asses the situation and suggest a solution if deemed necessary is the manufacturer. One way or another, it gives the manufacturer a chance to shine...or not.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 05:23PM

Ernie,

I appreciate what you shared: Resolving issues Directly with the Parties Involved is usually the best course of action! And you are 100% right that this gives Both parties the chance to shine.

Especially when the CEO of the manufacturing company is willing and concerned enough to get directly, and personally, involved with the issue at hand.

This thread SHINES on all sides.

Well done, my fellow rod builders!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 05:36PM

It really would be nice if people complaining about crooked blanks would place the butt down and measure the deflection of the tip as the blank is rotated 360 degrees. All this back and forth about " is it really straight?" is not necessary. Everyone has their own definition of what is straight enough, and having some numbers would quickly bring some clarity to the issue.

It has taken two pages of the forum, the CEO has gotten into it, but we still don't know how crooked the blank is. Good that the OP is feeling much better now. But there have to be builders out there wondering about two strings in the last couple weeks complaining about a company's product, and yet there is no clarity on just how straight or crooked the blanks in question are.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 06:06PM

Let me just say this: last year I bought an SC5 7-6 MLXF unfinished and beside from being just plain ugly ugly it had 2 direction changes on the way to the tip. Paid $218 for it, far, far more than I'd ever spent for a blank. Made in USA Figured if it's good enough for St. Croix it must be good enough for us. Fishes great. Getting the guides lined was a real trip. Let's see, where was I going with this? Oh yeah, they ain't all straight.

Date: January 06, 2023 06:56PM

I’m sorry if I offended anybody with this post I was unaware of the other post prior to mine which is my fault. I’m new to rod building I’ve heard great things about NFC given their reputation and being a “loomis” company I didn’t hesitate to purchase a blank. Which is my first blank from them. When I saw the curvature I was just a little taken back, sure I probably used the wrong words to describe it and that’s also my fault and I apologize to the manufacturer and anybody else who is mad at me. The blank isn’t that bad matter of fact I shouldn’t t even use the word bad at all because it’s not. I don’t know how to measure deflection so your SOL on that one, I’m also not sure how to attach photos. I didn’t mean for the CEO to get involved although he helped more than anybody and for that reason I will purchase more blanks from them. If guys with more experience say it’s not a big deal than I’ll take their word for it but I won’t be made to feel bad for being concerned about something I’m not an expert in.

Date: January 06, 2023 07:00PM

And what the ceo said about glass drooping in my opinion that holds water because I have a shimano slx glass cranking rod that has almost and identical curve in the blank

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 07:00PM

And so the problem with the bounce back to the top every time a topic is responded to. Things usually get settled in a few posts and then the topic falls away as it should. Now it only takes a couple or three guys going back and forth to keep an old topic at the top for ages. Look at the CCS stuff that has been continually at the top for two weeks with just a small handful of guys going back and forth on it. The place has turned into a chat room for a half dozen guys. Let the new topics have at least a chance.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: January 06, 2023 07:06PM

Using terms like "wonky" and "drastically" are not only rather extreme, they are unmeasurable!. People jump upon these type of comments and the expansion starts. And intended or not, it has an unfair refection upon the supplier!

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2023 07:17PM

@BRANDON There's no need to apologize my friend, you came to the right place with a question like that - you should not be made to feelnlik e you did something wrong - you absolutely did not. I'm new to building as well, and I'd say for the sake of clarity (for yourself, to share here, or just with NFC customer service [ although I think it would benefit all of us as builders to know the accepted tolerance from a manufacturer]) I would suggest laying the blank flat on the ground and rolling it. Take pics or video, and measure the highest point of the tip from the ground and the lowest point from tip to ground.

I'm certain there are idiosyncrasies in every manufacturers blanks that are within a range of normal (I don't know what that is), but of course there's instances where those limits are crossed. We might think perfectly straight is the limit, but I'm sure each company has a standard and dispose of most blanks that don't meet their criteria. But nothing is prefect, the blanks or quality control mechanisms.

I have store bought rods that have slight bends and I've been perfectly content with them, @LYNN whether or not it was within Croix's tolerance is unknown - but it was within yours and I'm glad to hear your happy with the end result. But there are always a certain amount of anything manufactured that makes it past quality control that isn't good enough for the manufacturer but makes it out. That's why we periodically see massive recalls on everything from kids toys to $40,000 vehicles.

Anyway, all that to say

@BRANDON roll the blank and measure for yourself and NFC at least and see what they say, but feel free to share your results with us so we can grow and learn too.

Seems like there's an unnecessary amount of hostility towards people posting and some topics being posted in more than others, but that is just what happens naturally. I'm sure there are quieter forums with less activity to keep threads down to only a few posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2023 07:23PM by El Bolinger.

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (73.150.189.---)
Date: January 06, 2023 07:19PM

I don’t think I could’ve said it anymore that it’s a good blank I just had a concern. Never did I once say a bad thing about the company. Man I thought this was a different place than it really is.

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (73.150.189.---)
Date: January 06, 2023 07:20PM

Thank you el bolinger seriously I appreciate your comment

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster