I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX blanks comparison
Posted by: Rick Sankey (---.comm1bulkdns.net)
Date: January 03, 2023 07:44PM

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for opinions on MHX blanks compared to RodGeeks and NorthFolks blanks in a 6'6" ML-F. I personally like to fish with lighter rods for walleye and I built myself a 6'6" L-F rod from NorthFolk and love it. So last year I ordered a MHX 6'6" L-F so I had something to compare it to from MHX blanks. In my opinion it is way lighter as far as backbone between the two. Probably a good Blue Gill Crappie blank in IMOP. Not knocking it at all. But if I'm going to order a 6'6" ML-F blank and it has this much of a difference to the RodGeeks and NorthFolk blanks I think I would probably have to order a M-F blank.
Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX blanks comparison
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: January 03, 2023 08:08PM

The Spinning blanks ive used from MHX dont have much backbone. Check out the MHX SJ781. its more inline with the MLF St Croixs.

what was the NFC model that ya liked?

Posted by: Patrick Noll (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2023 08:43PM

MHX spinning blank I like the NEPS78MF for walleye, NEPS81MXF for an all around bass finesse rod.

Date: January 03, 2023 09:06PM

It is a FW 662-1 (IM)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 03, 2023 09:14PM

Look at the data being collected in the CCS Data Log string of posts. You may be able to find the CCS numbers of the various blanks you are discussing/considering. . The subjective descriptors L, ML, M, MH, etc have little meaning especially when going between differet brands. IP and ERN are objective measures of power, and if you find the blank that is too light in power you may find one with significantly higher numbers that would indicate that it would work.

Date: January 07, 2023 05:51PM

Well I guess only one real way to compare blanks from one manufacturer to another is to get them. So I will be ordering a NEPS78MF and also SJ782. This way I will have them on hand for myself to compare and have them for future customers to compare.
I want to thanks those who gave me some input.
I also want to say that this site is a gold mine of knowledge and information for all rod builders of different levels. I do not post on it very often but do look at it often. When I do run into something I'm un sure of I search and if I don't find what I'm looking for I will add a post in search of an answer. Never disappointed!!!!
Thanks to all the rod builders that share
Rick

Posted by: Patrick Noll (---)
Date: January 08, 2023 09:22AM

Rick - I feel the elite pro’s from mhx don’t compare to the other blanks from mhx. The elite x and standard blanks are on G loomis old mandrels and more along those old loomis lines, per what I’ve heard. The elite pro’s were on a completely different path and are a bit softer but also way lighter than standard blanks. You’re going to like the NEPS78MF for walleye, super light and sensitive. I have mb842’s and like them a lot but it’s more of a moving baits/top water blank. Not the exact same as a sj782 but my closest comparison.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 10, 2023 05:37AM

The 6'6" LF is in the spinning line for MHX and is really small diameter - nice little blank that I'd use for finesse walleye with 6# line for sure. But if you want to level up in power the SJ781 in the MXH spin jigs is very light and faster/more power - it probably feels lighter in hand than the S782 due to the larger diameter.

Elite Pro's feel really nice too, but to me almost are a tad stiffer than standard - look at the line rating on them more than the power rating for insight. The tips are really nice, but lot's of back bone due to the faster actions.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: January 10, 2023 01:05PM

Very interesting about the last 2 comments above me - entirely contrary to one another.

Does anybody have any CCS data on the MHX Elite Pros to actually measure if they are relatively softer or more stiff?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2023 04:32PM

Here’s a couple MHX elite pro blanks.
MHX NEPS78MF IP 400 AA 74
MHX NEPS78MXF IP 602 AA 76.5
Both very nice blanks, but different in power
Norm

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 10, 2023 08:44PM

I guess I found the Elite Pro's to have a softer tip, but very fast and stiffen quicker than MHX. And it depends on the model too. Both are nice stuff either way.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 10, 2023 08:51PM

Rick's right, might as well order a truckload and get to testing! Don't forget to post your results. Lol.

Date: January 25, 2023 01:24PM

Well I ordered a 6’ 6” MHX Elite Pro NEPS78MLF to compare with RODGeeks C2 and NorthFork IM blanks. I also ordered a 6’ 6” MHX Elite Pro NEPS78MF to compare with RODGeeks C2 and NorthForks IM blanks.
IMOP they feel pretty equal. At least now I have them on hand to offer future customers more options.
Rick

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: April 21, 2023 05:10PM

Rick, did you have time to compare those blanks yet??

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 21, 2023 06:29PM

>"Rick's right, might as well order a truckload and get to testing! Don't forget to post your results. Lol."

Those cynics who maintain this is the reason manufacturers don't more often post CCS data (that they obviously have) might be right. ". . .order a truckload. . ." and try to find what you want. Go Point Blank. You know in advance what you are going to get. Or Rainshadow RX 10.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 21, 2023 11:33PM

Michael, you completely misconstrued Lynn's post. Did you not catch the lol at the end?

As far as suggesting Point Blank or Rainshadow RX10 .... if you had looked up the NFC blank Rick mentioned liking, on the CCS data base that Kevin has been maintaining so beautifully, you'd have seen that it has an IP of 185 grams. Point Blank doesn't make a blank anywhere near that light in power. And the closest RX10 blank that Rainshadow offers, has a 60 gram higher IP.

Also, those are pretty pricey blanks. Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on a rod blank. But who knows ..... maybe the addition of some TNF numbers would convince him to spend that kind of money?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 22, 2023 06:21AM

David, I don't see it that way. Rick said: "Well I guess only one real way to compare blanks from one manufacturer to another is to get them."

I was mentioning Point Blank and RX10 in a general sense as the manufacturers who are publishing CCS data. So one can know in advance what he is getting. Rather than having to "get them."

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 22, 2023 10:52AM

Since Todd Vivian was the blank designer for Lamiglas, wouldn't you think that they would be more patterned that way? As I have said before, I wouldn't want to bet my life on the differences I have seen between many of the IMX and IM700 of old, the IMX blanks were a bit more damage prone due to the differences in scrim used.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster