I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loose ferrule question....How to fix?
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.reedsport.pciwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2003 11:29PM

Finished my latest project last week......4 pc 4 wt.

The top ferrule will not secure....no matter how tightly I try to place the male end inside the female end. After 10 minutes or so of casting....eventually it works loose. I tried lightly touching up the male end (about one-half the distance that fits inside) with some smooth sandpaper. I've done that once before and it fixed a similar problem. I assumed it allowed the male end to fit further up...and more snugly. Whatever...it worked.

I'll probably do it a little further down unless someone has a better solution.

How do you fix such dilemmas?

Keith T.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loose ferrule question....How to fix?
Posted by: Oren Clark (---.dialup.crocker.net)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:11AM

Keith-
Two things I know that make ferrules loosen up. The male outside taper is not the same as the female inside taper. The other is that the female ferrule has a crack, albeit you might not readily see it, without some magnification. One way to cure the "taper" scenario (if the blank is not under warranty) is to insert the male into the female some what loosly so as you can spin the male 4-5 revolutions, then pull the male out, and look for glossy marks. the glossy marks are where the male ferrule is touching, to get the entire surface of the male to "mate" the glossy area needs to be taken down slowly with 400 grit sandpaper. Remember you can not put back what you remove. After sanding a little bit re-insert the male and rotate again to see if the high sides are coming down, in most cases this procedure allows the male to have a deeper seat. But make sure the blank maker can't help you first. Good Luck!

Re: Loose ferrule question....How to fix?
Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.lubrizol.com)
Date: June 18, 2003 10:35AM

Keith,

Is this the rebuilt that you mentioned in the past? If so, then fill the male ferrule. from the factory, those blanks don't have the male ferrules filled. When you put the rod together and start casting, you deform the round blank into an oval shape. Eventually it starts to work loose. If you fill the male ferrule it won't deform nearly as much and will stick in place. I typically use rod bond or 5-minute epoxy. I've had no problems with either. I like the epoxy because I can put a bunch of it in the end and turn the blank upside down. Then I know it is all running to the end. You just have to put a piece of masking tape over the end to keep it from flowing out.

That should fix most fo your problem, but you still might get a little clicking. Try some ferrule wax, U-40 ferrule lube, or plain old parafin. I used dubbing wax in a pinch. Apply it to the male ferrule somewhat liberally. Seat the blanks and give them a full twist. Separate and let the blank cool. When you put the blank together you heat the wax with friction and it melts to fit the exact size you need.

Thanks,
Rick
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster