I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji RV6
Posted by: Phillip Sykes (---.googlefiber.net)
Date: December 27, 2022 01:35PM

Hi everyone. I’m new rod building. I have built 3 rod over the past year, nothing super nice, just ultra light for the kids where I can practice wrapping and finishing. I fish for bass almost exclusively and my only bass build so far was a swb807. I used a kw10, kw5.5, then a few kb’s and then kt’s out to the tip, all size 5. The guides were alconite. I have a point blank 691mxf that I want to build as a jerkbait rod and I’m interested in using the rv6 stripper. I’ve read good things on here about the rv6 and thought I’d give it a try. Being this guide is only available in a titanium frame, has anyone used a rv6 and then used alconite guides the rest of the way? I really don’t have the need for titanium as this rod will only see fresh water and will be plenty light for my liking with Fuji alconites on it. It will replace a 20 year old jerkbait rod that probably weights twice what the new build will weigh no matter what guides I use.. Just wondering if a black titanium SiC rv6 followed by 2-3 alconite kb4.5’s then kt4.5’s would work or should I just go all titanium and spend the extra money? Would the thicker inner ring of the alconites have a negative effect vs the thinner ring torzite or Sic runners? I have 3-4 rods I want to build over the winter and I like the rv6 concept, just prefer not to drop $100 plus on titanium for freshwater bass fishing. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji RV6
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 27, 2022 03:28PM

Yes I've done what you suggest and there is no issue with doing it. The recovery speed difference between titanium runners and SS runners on a blank like that is measurable, but not major. (TNF, yes I've measured a number of them) Since the runners are so small there is really no appearance mismatch problem noticeable if you use light colored runners like silver corrosion controls with the titanium color RV6, or use dark gray corrosion control with the T2 titanium RV6.

Regarding ring thicknesses, don't worry about that either. I doubt if anyone can find a difference. Just build the rods with what you suggest and they will be great rods.

I build my casting rods with the RV6, 2 or 3 KB's , then KT's, all runners in size 5 or 5.5. I've never used a Torzite. All of them cast very well. I've built two of the rods you mention for my son and he loves them.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: December 27, 2022 04:13PM

That works fine. I don’t have any real preference between the kw10 and RV6.

The difference in price between stainless alconite and Ti torzite in the small sizes is about $2 per guide. Now in the bigger sizes…..

Posted by: Phillip Sykes (---.googlefiber.net)
Date: December 27, 2022 04:13PM

Michael, thanks for the reply! I’ll give it a go.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2022 04:58PM

You are good, I do it all the time. The RV6 Has the height you want to produce a straight line to the tip ands only comes in a Ti frame. The difference in ring material is null.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 27, 2022 08:45PM

Tim Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The difference in price between stainless alconite
> and Ti torzite in the small sizes is about $2 per
> guide.

The difference between stainless Alconite and Titanium Torzite in the smaller guide sizes is a @#$%& of a lot more than $2.00 per guide . Try $6.00 - $7.00 per guide difference.

A Titanium Torzite KT running guide in size 5 is $ 8.55 a piece . A Stainless Alconite in size 5 is like $2.00 .

[mudhole.com]

[mudhole.com]

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: December 28, 2022 10:03AM

In double foots, yes, though he was talking single foot KT/KB in which

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2022 11:17AM

The Fuji T2 titanium finish is a pretty close match to the BC stainless finish. So, a T2 Sic RV6 will match up pretty well with BC Alconite KB/KT runners. The regular titanium frame will match up well with the Sic polished stainless steel finish.

Norm

Date: December 28, 2022 06:13PM

Tim Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In double foots, yes, though he was talking single
> foot KT/KB in which

A KT/ KB single foot in Stainless Alconite will be about $7.00 cheaper than a Titanium Torzite KT/ KB single foot .

They aren't even remotely close to a $2.00 difference regardless of size.

Date: December 28, 2022 06:26PM

Although the comparison below is for the Frosted silver CC frame in Alconite instead of the polished silver frame the prices of the two frame types is the same . The below shows the price differences between a KT Titanium Torzite runner in size 4.5 in comparison to a KT stainless CC frame Alconite runner in a 4.5 size .

[www.therodroom.com]

[www.therodroom.com]

A very very large price difference as you can see .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2022 06:26PM by chris c nash.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2022 09:04PM

The RV6 looks cool, and I use them, but I can't imagine it makes one bit of difference whether you use a KW10 or an RV6. I use an RV6 when I do a titanium SIC guide set, and I use a KW10 when doing fazlite or alconite. Maybe I just have an OCD need to match.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: December 29, 2022 09:11AM

I apologize, you are correct. I had been using the slim SIC guides and moved to Ti for saltwater only use. My addled brain was transposing the SIC and alconite guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster