I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon Fiber Grips
Posted by: Jason Kraft (---.midco.net)
Date: December 26, 2022 05:17PM

Looking to build a casting rod and am looking at the carbon fiber grips as something different then cork and EVA. Having never seen or held a carbon fiber grip, I am wondering if they are something that is slippery when its wet and or slimy from fish?seems like it almost looks like plastic in the pictures and plastic would definitely get slippery.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Fiber Grips
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 26, 2022 05:51PM

They are fine, look at the NFC grips, link on the left.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2022 07:13PM

I like carbon fiber grips, most of my personal rods are equipped with them. I find them to be extremely durable, and quite comfortable, plus they look good. I’ve never found them to be slippery. NFC has a large selection of carbon fiber grips at a good price. The CFX and Batson CF grips are almost identical to the regular NFC CF grips. The NFC soft touch grips are similar to the American Tackle G2 grips.
Norm

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 26, 2022 07:22PM

I haven't used them myself yet, but plan too. I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere the density of the foam core is higher in the NFC grip. How different do the soft grip feel vs regular?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 26, 2022 07:48PM

The rods I built for my use have a carbon fiber fore grip and a cork rear grip.

I applied two coats of U-40 Perma-gloss on the fore grip and U-40 cork seal on the rear grip before I installed them.

The fore grip is comfortable, never feels slippery, sheds water, cleans easily and seems indestructible..

Works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2022 07:51PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (94.140.9.---)
Date: December 26, 2022 07:50PM

Do most of you fish the carbon fiber grips as they come, or do you clear coat them? I usually have clear coated them but thinking about trying some as they come from NFC and CFX.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2022 08:20PM

For the regular CF grips I’ve done it both ways, uncoated or clear coated with a coat or two of Permagloss. Basically the only difference is appearance, Permagloss gives a little more sheen. The soft touch grips I don’t clear coat, they are smoother but still not slick or slippery. I like both types and have not had problems with either.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2022 08:26PM

They're not slippery. Smooth and slippery are two different things. Shape plays a major role. Ever used a smooth, highly varnished hammer handle? Not slippery, even when wet.

Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: December 30, 2022 09:50AM

I love carbon fiber grips, and much prefer them to cork or foam. The texture makes it so they are not slippery, even when wet or when a good day's fishing leaves a bit of slime on them from your hands.

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: December 30, 2022 02:40PM

I've used the regular carbon fiber grips from Northfork and their soft-touch grips. I wouldn't recommend coating either of them. Having used both, I'm very fond of the soft-touch version.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: December 30, 2022 03:11PM

Used carbon grips on my last build . They are definitely not slippery . I used the standard NFC grips because the soft touch was not available for the seat I wanted to use . I love the standard grips . Did I mention they are not slippery :)
Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster