I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

prepping blank for grips and seat - hey Tom :)
Posted by: El Bolinger (---)
Date: December 14, 2022 04:30PM

After watching rod maker magazine video on blank prep I ordered some scotch brite 7445 at Tom's advice. I'm hoping it's actually the real stuff because showed up just in a plastic bag with a barcode that said scotch brite .

My question is - do I prep painted blanks the same way? As unpainted? What about those blanks with ridges?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: prepping blank for grips and seat - hey Tom :)
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2022 06:02PM

Yes, the same way. And you can buy green kitchen scouring pads at the grocery store that are also Scotchbrite.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2022 07:52PM

Okay cool, should I expect to remove paint?

And in the video I thought you mentioned it being ultra fine so I set out for that exactly and found the 7445 to be the ultra finest, but if its any scotch brite then even better - I'll grab an actual scotch brite vs something from China saying it's scotch brite.

Thanks tom!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2022 07:58PM

All you need to do is just knock down the shine.
Norm

Posted by: Scott Davan (130.156.3.---)
Date: December 14, 2022 08:02PM

If you're planning on painting clean before scotch briting the blank....otherwise you're potentially grinding microscopic contaminates into the existing finish which can cause issues later......sold automotive and industrial paints at my family's store for 15+ years.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 15, 2022 06:17PM

You can find 3M Scotchbrite at most hardware stores, usually with the sandpaper.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2022 06:59PM

The issue I had was finding the ultra fine scotch brite 7445 - the white one. Nobody had it it anywhere. I thought when Tom said ultra fine he meant specifically the scotch brite labeled ultra fine - apparently all scotch brite is relatively ultra fine haha.

A little blue came off onto the pad, but unnoticeable on the blank. I kept rubbing because the stickiness from the blank sticker was still visible. Even if I got to the surface of the blank since it's all for under grips etc. Anyway.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2022 07:27PM

Not sure I ever said "ultra fine," just fine. But the only real difference with the ultra fine white pad is that you have apply a bit more elbow grease to scour/de-gloss the blank. Otherwise the green is a good all-around choice.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 15, 2022 07:32PM

Remove the sticker with brush cleaner or DNA before scuffing to avoid spreading glue residue. A clean blank is a happy blank. Avoid products that may leave a residue behind. Never stop reading past posts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster