I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeking Help With Guide Layout 7'6"
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: December 06, 2022 10:50PM

Hello I am building a St. Croix SCIV 7'6" HF 3/4 - 3 oz rod for boat fishing in Mexico (roosters, jacks, snappers, etc). Penn Slammer III 4500 reel. 30 - 40 lb braid. Casting and jigging. Fuji KW guide frames, I have KW30 thru KW8 available. KW8 running guides. I need help with the guide layout. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking Help With Guide Layout 7'6"
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 07, 2022 06:51AM

Have you tried the software on the AnglersResource.net site in the left margin?

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.181.---)
Date: December 07, 2022 08:27AM

Michael I have used the AR software for the NGC layout. It gives guide locations for each guide size from 30 on down, but I am not sure which guide sizes to choose. The software sets the 30 at 18" from the spool shaft, but which other 2 guide sizes do I use for the reduction train? I don't see where the software answers that question?

And just to be clear I am assuming that this rod will have a 3 guide reduction train plus a choke guide that is one of the KW8 running guides.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 07, 2022 11:00AM

In the KR system reduction guide train, the sizes get smaller by half each time (example: 20-10-5.5 or 16-8-5.5). These are all high frame type guides, KL-H

You might look at something like 30-16-8 as sizes for your reduction train? Space them with butt guide located as per software, and then line up the other two to make a bullseye on the choker. Two-line Static line test and tweak from there.

Could you get away with size 6 runners instead of 8's?

And do you think you need double foot guides, KW's, instead of Single foot model KL guides? Perhaps as a compromise, go with single foot guides (model KT or KB) as the choker to the tip top; to keep the weight off that section of the rod.

Sounds like a big fish trip!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2022 12:04PM by Leslie Cline.

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.stormvip.com)
Date: December 07, 2022 12:15PM

I go back and forth on single foot vs double foot guides... There wont be many runners on the rod so I am not sure it will make any practical difference, and I already have the KW's. Mostly I am looking for info on the reduction train at this point, I may switch to single foot choke/runners, but that won't affect the Reduction train I don't think?

These travel rods get banged around a lot in the pangas and the airports, so double foots are my first choice.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 07, 2022 05:42PM

Bob,
I certainly understand and appreciate your particular durability concerns. A double foot KW will definitely withstand more abuse than a single foot KL-H and thus may be your best option. While a KL25-H would be good for your size 4500 reel and 40lb braid, the KW30 is probably a good choice to achieve enough height. My spin set-ups are KRC (KL-H) and not NGC (KW) so I may not be the best to answer your reduction train questions but I will give you my gut feeling. I agree with Leslie that “halving” each ring size from the preceding guide is effective; in your case, KW30 , 16, 8. While it is difficult to argue with GPS, I wouldn’t be afraid to move the butt guide out to 21-23in and, in either case, position the choke guide 23in from the butt guide, + or - to achieve nice runner spacing. Position the other 2 reduction guides (16 and 8) to form a bullseye between the butt and choke guide. Hopefully, Norman Miller responds with his Fuji Guruness to help you and for me to learn. I would certainly trust and employ his wisdom.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster