I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rear Grip to Reel Seat - chop off tenon?
Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2022 12:59PM

Is it common for rear grip tenons to be too large for seat?

Should I just totally chop off the tenon and put my first tape arbor wrap up against the grip?

I have no sand paper but should I try to sand the tenon to fit in the reel seat? Slice it to size with an exacto knife?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2022 01:00PM by El Bolinger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear Grip to Reel Seat - chop off tenon?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 01:37PM

Particulars help with getting the best answer, generalities not so much.

Date: December 05, 2022 01:51PM

I don't really know what particulars would help. What would make for a different approach?

It's a spinning set up - would casting be different?

Is a tenon necessary?

If I can get it to fit enough to epoxy do I just do two tape arbors?

If I take off too much can I just put a thick glob of epoxy around it to hold it or would I be better to lob it off and just use the tape?

The tenon doesn't fit by about 4mm, it's about an inch long, it's a 5'6 light spinning rod with a 5 inch rear grip that is going to be the full grip with a thin rubber butt cap that I also have to cut to fit flush and then glue haha (the dude I talked to at mudhole obviously didn't put much thought into helping me make sure I got the right stuff).

What other info would help me get a more precise answer or advice?

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 04:53PM

Spinning grips don't have a reel seat tenon. Sounds like they sold you a casting grip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 05:07PM

Wade,
Actually, it depends:

For example the Aero Spinning reel seats work best with a tenon - like shaping of the front of the rear grip to perfectly match the rear of the spinning reel seat:

[www.americantackle.us]

Then, many people use a tenon on the butt end of the same spinning rod rear grip to allow a nice rubber cap to form a butt cap for the grip that demands the use of a tenon on the rear grip.

For example: These grips all had a tenon of one sort or another:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Then - for example - these wood grips that were turned to be used on spinning style ice fishing rods - all had tenons at one end of the gip or the other:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2022 07:04PM

Premade spinning handles have a rear tenon of about 20 mm to fit a butt cap and they don’t have a front tenon. Casting handles tend to have two tenons the rear 20 mm tenon is for the butt cap and the front tenon is about 22 mm and fits the rear inlet of the casting seat.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2022 07:17PM

You don't need it. Cut it off flush.

Posted by: Wade Hirai (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 07:53PM

Thanks Roger, I've never used the Aero seat. El said it's a 5" grip so i just assumed that it's a pre made spinning grip and every pre made spinning grip I've seen, including aero grips on AT's website, don't have a tenon on the seat end. I'm aware that there's a tenon for a butt cap.

Date: December 05, 2022 07:55PM

Thanks for the feedback yall!

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty let down by mudhole right about now, got a whole lot of extra work and hoping things work out for my first builds which are all gifts. At least the kids won't put a hurtin on the rids so my mickey mouse work around should largely go unnoticed.

So my best option isn't to try to leave some amount ifof tenon to glue to, just slice flush and tape arbor right up to it?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 08:37PM

Ed, tell us what seat and what grip you bought.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 05, 2022 08:46PM

El, is this the handle you brought?
[mudhole.com]
It’s the only five inch handle I found which Mudhole sells. If so the tenon is for the butt cap. A tube type spinning reel seat fits flush against the front end of the handle. The reel seat can can be mounted in either the up locking (treaded barrel against the rear grip) or down locking (fixed hood against the rear grip). Seat position is your choice. The reel seat can be shimmed with either tape arbors, or polyurethane foam arbors, your choice. You can use a fore grip in front of the reel seat or not. Again your choice.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2022 09:11PM by Norman Miller.

Date: December 05, 2022 08:49PM

This is the grip
[mudhole.com]

And this is the seat
[mudhole.com]

They also had me get the wrong butt cap, I called about all this so to their credit the refunded me the grips and butt caps, but I really just needed guidance the first time to get this right. I do appreciate that they did what they could after the fact to try to make it right though. Again I'm just hoping these weird hiccups and mismatched parts still let me build 4 decent rods for Christmas.

Date: December 05, 2022 10:16PM

@NORMAN yeah that's it - I was typing my post while you posted so I didn't see it until now. I really appreciate you taking the time to look into it and share your thoughts. I had no idea I was holding it upside down haha, world of a newbie. Maybe I'll accidentally discover a new trick by doing something backwards

Date: December 07, 2022 01:01AM

I was going to try to post a pic but I don't think I can on mobile or something.

I can't tell I'd this will look ridiculous and I should just order new grips or cut to size go buy some sand paper and glue them flush. Can we post pics on our phones?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2022 07:29AM

The final appearance of the handle won't change with or without a tenon. If you have a tenon it's hidden inside the end of the seat. It will appear just the same as a flush mount grip.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 07, 2022 09:14AM

@TOM I mean I'm wondering how it will turn out cutting the ring off of the butt cap and cutting the tenon off of the grip and trying to glue them together, I'd imagine I need to get some sand paper to try and get them totally flat - but I don't know if this would still look ridiculous or not.

Date: December 07, 2022 09:54AM

Why why would you cut the ring off the butt cap? What butt cap did you get for that grip? The butt cap should slip fit onto the tenon and is glued in place after glueing the grip to the blank. If the tenon is a little long for the butt cap just trim the tenon enough so the butt cap fits flush. It shouldn’t be that much of a problem. The only problem see is if you bought a butt cap that doesn’t fit the tenon.
Norm

Date: December 07, 2022 10:11AM

@NORM I posted the links to the products above, I was told by a representative at Mud Hole that this grip and butt were fine for my 4 builds. But then when I started getting things figured out to build I realized they don't fit together at all - butt cap has ring that's wider than the tenon and the tenon is about an inch too long. The only way to fit them together is cutting them both totally flush it seems

> This is the grip
> [mudhole.com]
> ariant=34395821310085
>
> And this is the seat
> [mudhole.com]
> ning-seat?variant=32133350424709
>
> They also had me get the wrong butt cap, I called
> about all this so to their credit the refunded me
> the grips and butt caps, but I really just needed
> guidance the first time to get this right. I do
> appreciate that they did what they could after the
> fact to try to make it right though. Again I'm
> just hoping these weird hiccups and mismatched
> parts still let me build 4 decent rods for
> Christmas.

This is the butt cap
[mudhole.com]

It was only like 10 bucks, but Now I'm Not sure If I should just order more and hope to be able to finish my builds or if the Frankenstein gripbuttcap will be alright.

Date: December 07, 2022 10:38AM

Yep, you got the wrong butt cap for that grip. The RVB-1 is recommended for your grip. It’s 1 “ long, with an OD of 1” and an ID of 0.78”
[mudhole.com]
There are other butt caps of similar size that should fit.
Norm

Date: December 07, 2022 11:19AM

Would've been nice for them to tell me what caps would fit, but it is what it is I suppose. I'm gonna try to just see how they look cut up and glued together, I don't think I have the time to order more and build 4 Rods before Christmas.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster