I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inshore build guide advise needed
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---)
Date: December 03, 2022 01:08PM

I am going to build a salt water rod for myself. I have very little experience with saltwater fishing and especially building a rod for it. What I have is a NFC MB-7108-1. 94” Mag-medium 12-25# line. I’m mostly anticipating the NE for stripers or SE for reds. I’ve built a ton of light fresh water spinning rods with single foot guides. I have zero experience with double foot spinning guides and sizing. Or do I even need double foot guides? I’ve caught a ton of king salmon on light rods w/single foot guides. My thought was to go with Fuji KR in SIC or Torzite. Figuring a 4000-ish size reel with #20-ish braid, I kinda want to keep weight down and thought a size 25 butt guide would be my preference to start. Beyond that, I have no idea and don’t really want to buy more guides than I need to. If someone has a suggestion on what a good series of guides would be, I’m all ears. Based on what I use for freshwater, I’d anticipate having 3-4 high frames down to 7-10 size 5 or 6 fly guides. I can figure out position, I would just appreciate a bit of guidance on guide size. I don’t mind using different brand of guide, but prefer a non-china origin.

Thanks!
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inshore build guide advise needed
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2022 08:08PM

You could certainly use single foot Fuji KR guides, they are quite durable. Built a 7’6” heavy Point Blank for a friend who uses it for cobia and large redfish. He uses a 4000 to 5000 reels with 20-30 lb braid. For guides, I used KL25H, KL12H, and KL6L for the reduction train with KB5 runners. Used ten guides total, plus matching tip top. As an option, you could use either size 6 or 5.5 KB/KT runners. If you want to use double foot KR guides you can use RV25, RV16, KW10M reduction train, followed by either KW or KB/KT runners in the size of your choice with a matching MN or KG tip-top.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2022 08:36PM

I would suggest double foot guides from butt to choke and then single foot guides from there on out. This would be for any of the various NGC type set-ups.

Date: December 07, 2022 05:55AM

Thanks fellas!

Tom, any suggestions as to what size for double foots? Are they the same height as singles? Never had any double foot spinning guides in my possession.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 07, 2022 06:49AM

Good advice, Norman, as usual.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2022 07:27AM

Scott Kelly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks fellas!
>
> Tom, any suggestions as to what size for double
> foots? Are they the same height as singles? Never
> had any double foot spinning guides in my
> possession.

Guide height depends on the guide type and series. Generally I use high frame double foot guides and move down to low frame (fly type) single foot guides. This gives you good durability on the bottom half of the rod and the least weight possible on the top half where weight can undermine a bit of rod performance. Get out one of the catalogs and spend a little time look at the available guide models.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 09, 2022 02:02AM

I built an NFC 7109 ( A 2 ounce max lure rating instead of 1 1/2 ounce lure rating of the 7108) for inshore saltwater fishing and much prefer the KR high frame single foots for that blank , KL20H, KL10H and a 5.5M and size 5 KB/KT runners and I chose those specific guide sizes based solely on what reel I'm using and my specific line choice . If I was using a heavier braid or a different reel I would have went KL25H, KL12H to a 5.5M with size 5 runners.

I would not use RV double foots on the NFC 7108 blank myself , I love them on my larger surf rods but definitely not on the particular blank you're talking about . The only thing that would cause me to go double foot guides ( Not the RV double foots however) for the reduction train on a super thin and lightweight blank like the 7108 is if I knew the rod was likely to be handled roughly and top durability was required .

Anyways , I wish you much success with the build and I hope you enjoy fishing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2022 02:04AM by chris c nash.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: December 12, 2022 12:48PM

I just build rods for myself, and I mostly fish in salt water with 12-30 lb braid for stripers and redfish, and occasionally casting offshore for Mahi and even sailfish. I use single foot guides on all of my spinning rods, starting with either a 25 or 30, tapering to a size 6 for the last few guides and the tip. I like to use Fuji Alconite, but I haven't bought any in a long time. Still using my stock from a decade ago.

That being said, I have had no issues with durability of the single-foot guides or the rods. I like the Mag Bass style in the 844 size for most of my fishing, but have added extended butts to a couple of 845's and the result was excellent for when I visited the Cape Cod area where longer casts are mandatory. Still using my G Loomis Mag Bass blanks in GL3. Still great, durable rods, but I've replaced many guides, mainly from getting them bent during transport, to a few rusting where the loop meets the foot.

I hope this helps.

-TH

Date: December 12, 2022 01:27PM

I do appreciate all of the input! Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster