I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC SJ765-1 (X-Ray LMX)
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: November 28, 2022 08:32PM

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this blank. It's billed as a Med/Heavy blank with fast action. Most of the X-ray blanks that I have purchased in the past have been a little more supple than I would have expected based on the description. I'm not looking for a pipe, but I am looking for something with a little backbone for snook and redfish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC SJ765-1 (X-Ray LMX)
Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 28, 2022 09:12PM

Not familiar with that one but I bought the Xray 7109 hoping it would be to my liking for inshore saltwater like Redfish and Specks and it's much softer than I was anticipating . I was looking for more stiffness but it wasn't there.

Date: November 29, 2022 06:56AM

Wow! And that blank as described is heavier than the SJ765. Well...at least they're consistent. But it does make choosing a blank quite difficult. :-(

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: November 29, 2022 08:14AM

I'm still pretty new to all this but based on the description of it being moderate fast and the picture of the 7109 (which I just ordered myself) it doesn't appear to be something to expect much stiffness from.

Looks like you both meant to get this one [northforkcomposites.com]

@Ernie if you feel like that's too long this one looks like a better fit than your first pick - [northforkcomposites.com]

both seem to get to the back bone quicker and still have solid weight rating you were looking at.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: November 29, 2022 08:20AM

Have a look at their deflection charts, compare the SJ 765 to the SJ 804. 765 is definitely more moderate. Are you wanting faster, as that should be plenty of power?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2022 01:04PM by Tim Scott.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2022 09:51AM

The NFC SJ735: IP=793 gm; AA=75. Certainly in the MH and Fast areas.
Norm

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 29, 2022 01:21PM

Ernie Blum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! And that blank as described is heavier than
> the SJ765. Well...at least they're consistent.
> But it does make choosing a blank quite difficult.
> :-(

I'm not disappointed with it, I wanted to see what the Xray's were about and why people were raving about them that's all . I chose that model based on it's overall length as it was the longest in the Xray line and it's power ratings as it fit closer to what I like compared to all the other Xray's at the time. I find it ideal for throwing my lighter saltwater stuff .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 29, 2022 02:14PM

Ernie,
That blank has been discussed more than any other NFC blank here. Did you check the search function, all dates? Lots of info on hundreds of blanks is found there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2022 02:23PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Glenn Tucker (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2022 06:49PM

This is a great tool to compare flex on different blanks. It is in french but easy to figure out. [www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: November 29, 2022 07:13PM

You can change the language to English on the rodhouse site.

great tool!

Date: November 29, 2022 07:17PM

Thanks for that.

Date: November 29, 2022 09:54PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The NFC SJ735: IP=793 gm; AA=75. Certainly in the
> MH and Fast areas.
> Norm

OK Norm...sorry to do this to you, but can you explain how to use/interpret NFCs graphs pertaining to each blank? How is that useful to me?

Date: November 29, 2022 10:05PM

Good question. If they all used the same weights to generate the deflection I could understand but, some similar blanks use weights that are not even close. That is why I have been using the rodhouse comparator.

Date: November 30, 2022 09:52AM

Glenn...I'm not sure how the rodhouse site works. Are their list of blanks the only blanks they compare?

Date: November 30, 2022 07:08PM

If you go to their site and look for the comparator button it will open a window with 2 drop downs. On the right drop down type in the numbers for the blank you want to check and it will usually bring up several choices from different manufacturers. Click on the one you want and it will open up in the window. It gives you 4 test weights with each blank so you just click on what weight you want to see and it will bring up the blank deflection for what you selected on the chart. You can do 4 blanks at once and compare the flex against each other. On the main page in the upper right you can change the language you want to use but it defaults to french.

Date: December 01, 2022 07:01AM

OK Glenn...I figured it out. NOW...if someone could chime in regarding NFCs version of demonstrating the power/stiffness properties via the graphs for each individual blank that they provide, it would be most welcomed. Plain and simple, I don't understand what I am looking at. I also get the feeling that I may not be the only one who doesn't. If someone can shed some light in this regard, including someone from NFC should he or she get the chance to read this, it would likely help a whole bunch of us out.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 03, 2022 01:23AM

On the NFC site I look at the pattern of the blank's bend, then I look to see how much weight it took to make that bend and the power value in the same box. Then I do the same for other blanks that interest me and compare what I see to what I know. When you CC a blank the weight used is also variable as is the action angle. Looked at the HS 760-1 (IM) vs (HM) not long ago, instantly saw the IM was more powerful and slower in action fairly quickly, just what I needed to know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster