I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap Width Uniformity
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 06:40PM

The days are longer and I've picked up a project to finish.

I like to have my wrap widths for each guide foot somewhat uniform, about 9mm on the rod I'm working on right now (4 piece 5 weight)

I have calipers of course, and a piece of thick paper cut to that size that I use as a quick reference.

I'm just curious who's got tips or tricks get that that uniformity. I'm assuming there's a group that says "don't do them uniform width", I guess I'd like to hear that opinion as well.

Many thanks -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap Width Uniformity
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 07:17PM

As the rod tapers the thinner wraps kept the same length as the butt wraps look funny to me. I like them done in proportional length when they can be.

Posted by: Guy Taylor (38.128.89.---)
Date: November 20, 2022 08:31PM

I agree with Spencer. I use a metric steel rule to keep the same measurement off the guide foot but as the guides get smaller the over all length of the wrap gets smaller.

Guy Taylor
Lucerne Valley, CA

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.203.218.---)
Date: November 20, 2022 08:42PM

I use REC single foot recoils. Many times the feet are different lengths after prepping.
I place the shorter feet towards the tip.
Wraps are correspondingly smaller towards the tip.
Of course, smaller guides get shorter wraps.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2022 09:33PM

Over time I have morphed into just starting the wrap about 2 threads beyond the guide foot. Larger guides have longer feet so the proportion is still there to some extent.

Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 09:56PM

Great information- thanks so much.

Tom, your method is interesting, must make for a clean look-

Thanks to everyone

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 10:58PM

I do like TK, but start 4 wraps before the foot, and disregard the thought of equal widths.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 11:16PM

Ditto on Tom's method. I always start at the foot of the guide and I generally start about 4-6 wraps before the end of the guide foot. But, depending on the rod, I may use less or more, but once I have started n a particular rod, I will keep the wrap count equal for each and every guide. Thus, because small guides have shorter feet and larger guides have longer feet --- the short guides will have a shorter wrap and vice versa for longer guides.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 11:52PM

Tom,
Your’s is a very good question; how you want to derive a conclusion is debatable.
If you make all your wraps precisely the same measured length, say .5in, those toward the tip will appear to be longer simply due to optical illusion (skinny appears longer while fatter appears shorter). To offset the inevitable illusion, one must employ some creative measuring magic. While the feet on larger reduction guides tend to be longer and will automatically produce a progressively smaller wrap length per size, runners of the same size do not benefit accordingly. A bit of experienced, creative, progressive length adjustment of the wrap will counter the illusion. While it is not an exact science (at least as far as rod building goes), it can be done if accepting the parameters; a few rotations less per wrap while getting closer to the tip (basically) will assist.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 01:52AM

If you spend some time in the photos section the vast majority of wraps are exceedingly long including running guide wraps. Not all by any means but a lot more than I expected to see but each individual will have their own reasons for this and it's their build so to each their own as they say . Take breaks while you're wrapping and look back at what you have done so far to make sure everything is in order because I have made the mistake of completing a build only to realize I screwed something up and now I have to redo something again.

If you want the best possible performance from your completed build keep the wraps as short as possible ESPECIALLY in the upper half of the rod . Longer than necessary wraps also require more epoxy to cover them and this can be really detrimental to a rods performance because that extra weight really ad's up especially with running guides. As far as measuring my wraps I rarely do it because I have a good eye and can tell quickly if something is off even by just a little amount .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 06:58AM

Ditto on Tom and Phil's method. The shorter the feet the shorter the wrap, and if one starts all the wraps with a uniform, small, distance from the foot, it's easy to keep them uniform. The most I prep guide feet is just a few "wipes" with 150 grit sandpaper to give the foot a little bite for the thread.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 21, 2022 10:42AM

I too use a consistent length of the wraps leading up to the guide foot, except when a double-foot guide has feet are of different lengths. Then I may adjust the lead wrap to even out the overall wrap length.

When the guide feet are equal lengths, I will sometimes place a band of 1/8" masking tape at the tips of the feet, then another band adjacent to the first band and remove the first band, By using the tape as a "bumper", I then have a consistent 1/8" wrap leading up to the guide foot, regardless of the size of the thread. I also use a variation of this method to make underwraps extend a consistent amount beyond the guide feet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster