I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Does Fly Line Itself Reduce "Sensitivity" / Function
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: November 06, 2022 09:03AM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think you have to consider the context. There
> are lots of different fish, waters, and
> conditions. For example I'm near Miami. Most of
> the salt water fish I would be after are among the
> top ten fastest swimmers. Some of them are in
> excess of 100 pounds. So I might prioritize slick
> guides, a great drag, and lots of backing on my
> reel. I doubt any of those would be a priority
> for you.

Totally agree . I suspect situation as well other variables like technique would account for a lot of the difference in opinion . But I've gotta say the idea of catching anything close to that size of fish on any rod much less a fly rod boggles my feeble old mind . That must be an absolute hoot !
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: November 06, 2022 11:39AM

On tight line fishing, I don’t think it matters as the tip is down and you are stripping. You feel the connection with the line and the vibration to your hand. On tip up drifting, you have more mass against the tip from the suspended line, I can’t imagine there being much difference in sensitivity with a standard ring vs ceramic. Ymmv.
I have been playing with different guide configs lately. I think I like 3 ceramic double feet the best with the last double foot being the same size height as my snakes and then a ceramic tip. The smallest ceramic seems to feel smoother to me, especially with softer cold water lines. I just wrapped an Iconoglass with all ceramic and it casts very nice, now is it worth it, I still can’t decide. My take as an amateur in this group.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: November 06, 2022 12:03PM

First of all, I totally disagree with Mr. Schreckenbach's statement that single foot wire guides are "trash!" I have built 100's of fly rods for very experienced fly fishermen and guides, and almost without exception for those weights 7 and below I use single foot wire guides! They perform very well for casting and playing fish.

To the thread subject of sensitivity, it is almost a non issue when fly fishing. The exception is when tight line nymphing.

Date: November 06, 2022 12:39PM

Tim Scott Wrote:

> I have been playing with different guide configs
> lately. I think I like 3 ceramic double feet the
> best with the last double foot being the same size
> height as my snakes and then a ceramic tip. The
> smallest ceramic seems to feel smoother to me,
> especially with softer cold water lines. I just
> wrapped an Iconoglass with all ceramic and it
> casts very nice, now is it worth it, I still
> can’t decide. My take as an amateur in this
> group.

Yes sir. Had I known then what I've learned since , I don't think I would have used the word sensitivity in my original post and questioned only about casting performance and function .
It's an interesting thought about the combinations of ceramics and snakes . Thanks .
Ron

Date: November 06, 2022 12:45PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> To the thread subject of sensitivity, it is almost
> a non issue when fly fishing. The exception is
> when tight line nymphing.

Yes sir. Like I mentioned in my reply above , I should never have included the word sensitivity in my original post . Learning as I go with y'alls help . Thanks .
Ron

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 06, 2022 02:47PM

If wire fly guides are "trash" then there are a bazillion "trash" fly rods out there. They have been in use for probably more than a hundred years.

I use two ceramic ring guides and the rest wire guides, both snake and single foot, both stainless and titanium, and my rods seem to perform just fine. I fish for panfish, bass, and bonefish.

Date: November 06, 2022 04:24PM

Michael Danek Wrote:

> I use two ceramic ring guides and the rest wire
> guides, both snake and single foot, both stainless
> and titanium, and my rods seem to perform just
> fine. I fish for panfish, bass, and bonefish.

Ahhh...... The more I read here , the more I realize I don't know . Did not know there were titanium snake guides . From what I can find , it seems they aren't pure titanium but rather a titanium nickel alloy . Wonder if they are lighter and / or more resistant than the stainless ? I had only read about one specific brand of snake guide which was supposed to be "top of the line" and very easy to wrap with little to no prep . Guess I've got some more researching to do . Like the man said , it's not rocket science but you still want to get it as right as you can .
Thanks .
Ron

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2022 06:18PM

Ronald,

Go build a couple rods, one with one type of guides and one with the other. Convince yourself one way or the other.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 06, 2022 06:50PM

Everything is an alloy. All stainless steel guides are alloys. Cast iron is an alloy. Titanium guides from different sources are all alloys, and not the same mixtures. They vary a lot in physical characteristics. Definition: a substance composed of two or more metals or of a metal and a nonmetal intimately united usually by being fused together and dissolving in each other when molten.

Good advice from Tom K. Go beyond all the discussion and just build. And learn.

Date: November 06, 2022 06:56PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Ronald,
>
> Go build a couple rods, one with one type of
> guides and one with the other. Convince yourself
> one way or the other.

Sound advise .

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster