I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Delima
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: August 24, 2022 09:47PM

Should I go uplocking or downlocking on the size 20 Fuji graphite spinning reel seat. Its going on a Black Hole 8' blank for large yellowfin tuna.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Delima
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2022 10:02PM

For many years I was in favor of uplocking on spinning rods. In latter years, I have come to favor downlocking and I will usually remove about a half inch of the threaded barrel as it's rarely needed. Check for reel foot fit before you do similar, however.

On that type rod you'll almost certainly employ a foregrip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2022 10:06PM

I always go down locking.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 01:09AM

Mark,
Guess what - You can make an executive decision on your own and then own the decision with its final results.

At the end of the day-
Each way works just fine.

Best wishes

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2022 07:09AM

Uplocking puts the seat hood up so a nice smooth transition to the foregrip is possible, with the threads down and most of the time out of the way of the hands. Mock it up to see which you like the best.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 08:40AM

I have to vote for down locking.
The way I hold the reel seat, in between the middle two fingers, tends to cause the hood to loosen on an up locking seats.
I also will remove part of the threaded barrel...and no foregrip.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 25, 2022 09:09AM

Chris, I've heard that comment on loosening before, but I don't get it on DPSSD size 17 Fuji seats. I've fought some very nice smallies and a couple pretty large barracudas, but no tunas.

For a heavy duty rod like this, if there is any question, downlocking might be best.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 10:18AM

I'm with Michael, seems to me to loosen a reel seat you have to exert a force similar to what you used to tighten it, I just grip the rod, I don't twist it, I guess.

Date: August 25, 2022 10:41AM

On the mock-up the blue trim ring looks soooo much better in the up locking position. I've always fished and built with the down locking position so I'll probably go with that. The 6500 spinning reel barely fits into the seat with the nut all the way up so when screwed down only about 3/4" of the thread is showing. The main reason for the question was that I was thinking the reel would be in a more secure position with the front foot against the static cup of the seat. With up to 30# of drag being exerted, would it be better up locking? Maybe I'm just over thinking the simple process.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 08:05PM

Mark,
It all boils-down to personal preference and there are valid pros and cons for either up or down locking seats. I certainly do not think you are “over thinking the simple process”. For large fish and rods (Tuna), for reasons you stated, I feel more secure if the seat is up locking with the main force against the stationary hood, more so with a spin reel (no clamp) versus conventional (with clamp) and, as Michael mentioned, provides a smooth transition between seat and foregrip (needed). For smaller freshwater fish (Trout), I prefer down locking because I infrequently use a foregrip (not needed) anymore.
I do not know what size YFT you are seeking, but may I suggest you reconsider employing such a small (size 20) seat. You already mentioned that the reel feet “barely fits into the seat” = go with a 22 or 24, remember there are no clamps. To be honest, the majority of anglers would prefer a conventional reel over a spin reel for 100lb tuna.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 25, 2022 09:55PM

Thanks, Mark. I'm building the rod to Black Hole specs. The build sheet has a 20 seat as well as rear and fore grip sizes. It also has the guide spacing included. YFT up to 200#. but most likely 50-80# on a top water plug.

Date: August 26, 2022 11:16AM

Mark,
It is impossible for the “build sheet” to know what size reel (and feet in your case) will be employed. Especially considering the feet of your reel barely fit into the size 20 seat and that there are no clamps, it may (probably will) prove foolish to not upsize the seat. Hopefully you are using the provided guide spacing as merely a starting point before performing a 2-line static load test to determine the most efficient guide positions / spacing.
Just out of curiosity, why are you building a spin rod for tuna rather than a conventional rod? I am certain that large tuna have been caught with a spinning set-up and suppose anything can be done but it certainly is not the norm.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 26, 2022 12:19PM

Black Hole builds and sells this exact set up for experienced tuna fishermen around the world. No need to reinvent the wheel. These rods will be for a 38' Freeman fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. They target and land many pelagic species such as 800# blue marlin, 80# wahoo, 560# bluefin tuna, 600# mako shark, 300# grouper, and of course yellowfin tuna. The captain and crew have every type of blue water rods and reels imaginable, except for these. It is built specifically for tossing top water plugs into a school of marauding surface feeding yellowfin.

Date: August 27, 2022 01:29AM

Mark,
Thanks for the description of what you are attempting to accomplish. You are obviously a better man than me fishing for “800# blue marlin, 80# wahoo, 560# bluefin tuna, 600# mako shark, 300# grouper, and of course yellowfin tuna” with a spinning outfit; those are lofty goals indeed. Personally, I’ll stick with a spiral-wrapped, conventional reel set-up.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster