I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much do you lose cutting a rod into multiple pieces?
Posted by: Chris Zarza (---)
Date: August 23, 2022 05:44PM

I’ve got a rod that I’ve already built that I’d like to cut into two, maybe even 3 pieces for easy travel.

It’s currently a 7 foot 8-12# rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much do you lose cutting a rod into multiple pieces?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.187.243.---)
Date: August 23, 2022 06:12PM

Nothing if you use spigot ferrules
Herb

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 23, 2022 07:50PM

The rod will change, how much? From none to catastrophic it all depends how in tune you were with the rod when it was one piece. I have made multi piece rods for traveling and after one or two trips I got used to the rod and forgot it was once, a one piece rod. I would be hard pressed to make a prediction on its new behavior, all I can say is I have done it and the results were worth the effort it did not interfere with my fishing and I suffered no trauma..

Now this thought should help you decide, If I don,t cut it does it interfere or prevent me from fishing?

Do it, you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

If all should fail you can always build another.

Have fun

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2022 08:50PM

It really depends on what type ferrules you make or use. If you are going install old-style metal ferrules get ready for a huge change in balance and rod speed. If you are making either sleeve or spigot ferrules, it'll change a bit even enough to possibly notice, but assuming you do a good job it'll be okay.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 24, 2022 10:28AM

Chris,
The very best answer is to build a new travel rod in your choice of a blank.

You will likely be able to build an entire new rod in the time spent trying to make a travel rod from a single piece rod and you may very well not be happy with the results.

But, it is your choice.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2022 02:07PM

Make a new rod from a new 2 or 3 piece blank. Roger is right and you will most likely mess up a good rod trying to convert it. There are some great blanks out for travel rods.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 24, 2022 04:34PM

The increase in the mass of the blank will decrease the rod's sensitivity. You can't get something for nothing, and vice-versa.
t

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 24, 2022 05:44PM

Really Phil? Then you think that TNF might make a little sense? As the mass goes up the TNF goes down. And therefore, according to you, the sensitivity goes down.

I should point out that your position is consistent with the conclusions of many highly respected rod experts of the past.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 01:13AM

Here you go.
A complete travel rod for a price ranging from $30 to $110 complete ready to travel - shipped free to your door.

[www.amazon.com]

So, as the saying goes - pay your monies and buy the blank of your dreams along with the reel seat, grips and reel and a few hours to build the rod and then go out and use and travel with that rod if you wish.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 25, 2022 09:16PM

[www.fishmhx.com] I find these to run a bit more powerful than described. But nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster