I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Help Choosing a Power Wrapper
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 19, 2022 11:13PM

I’m looking at adding a power wrapper but am not finding too much info on the current options. I will use it for personal rods, and perhaps for friends and family. Being such, my budget is around $500. Not sure if I can get one that includes a handle / cork turner, but that would be great. Anyone what to share some resources that’ll help me make my choice? Maybe share your knowledge of the different options and what they can do / not do? TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2022 11:14PM by Dennis Penton.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help Choosing a Power Wrapper
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 20, 2022 01:26AM

Dennis,
The subject of commercially available “power wrappers / rod lathes” has been introduced and beaten-to-death NUMEROUS times (use the search function). In my opinion, the FlexCoat “777” is the best bang-for-the-buck of all the currently available rod lathes. If that does not satisfy your needs, then consider building your own as I did.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2022 08:11AM

I do my wrapping in an inside "clean" room, so I'm not interested in turning cork there.

I use my drill press in the garage for turning softer materials like cork. I have a simple inexpensive setup that makes it work very well, can provide info if desired.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 20, 2022 11:13AM

First off let me say that $500.00 is a good budget for a power wrapper. If you want to get the most for your money start looking for estate sales, (there is a 4 day sale going on right now in Forked River,NJ that includes blanks, guides, and thread that I was informed of on Wed. but no time to go.) Next go to tackle shops and ask if they know of anyone that wants to get rid of rodbuilding items.You would be surprised how many wrappers are not being used and in storage. It doesn't hurt to ask, you just might get lucky.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 20, 2022 01:43PM

I really like my Alps power wrapper/dryer. Additional parts can be purchased for it to turn grips, and glue cork rings. I even secured a pilot bit in the chuck to ream the cork grip on my latest build.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---)
Date: August 20, 2022 04:24PM

Best power wrapper for the buck-Kind of like the old Ford/Chevrolet debate might even find a Rolls Royce in the mix. A lot of options out there.

Posted by: Dennis Penton (172.58.19.---)
Date: August 21, 2022 01:22AM

I would imagine that on a forum like this that this subject has been exhausted ad nauseam. However when I do a search I only get one or two threads and not much information. Maybe I’m doing a search wrong but that’s why I have it posted here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2022 01:54PM by Dennis Penton.

Posted by: John McCleish (---.esvabroadband.net)
Date: August 21, 2022 08:51AM

FlexCoat 777.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 21, 2022 09:07AM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The subject of commercially available “power
> wrappers / rod lathes” has been introduced and
> beaten-to-death NUMEROUS times

Mark...those old threads wont show any new products.
Like RBS Ultimate Power Wrapper (now $579).

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 21, 2022 09:48AM

I have a Pac Bay power wrapper that I updated with an Alps chuck. I have used it to build and turn cork grips, carbon sleeved foam core grips, and to cut and shape EVA grips. It has more than enough power to do all of the aforementioned tasks, quite easily. I made my own tool rest for turning cork, but they have factory built rests available. And while I have yet to find the need for a live center tail stock for the stuff I have done with it, (I just use the rod roller stands that came with it) they do have live center tail stocks available. Alps makes what looks like it would be a very nice tail stock that will fit with no problem.

And of course I use it for wrapping and applying finish. It also has a drying motor so it acts as a rod dryer by simply moving the drive belt. I purchased mine a few years ago, but I'd imagine you could get the wrapper and Alps chuck for around the budget you are looking at.

For me, it does an excellent job.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 21, 2022 11:16AM

The power wrap sounds like mass-production. Given a choice between a power-wrapped rod and a skilled hand-wrapped rod which would you choose, and why?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 21, 2022 11:25AM

Dennis - When doing a search on this site include all dates. If you do this you will see hundreds of posts
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 21, 2022 01:17PM

The Flexcoat 777 has many ideas I wish I had paid attention to. One, I think it's reversible, two, the horizontal work surface is clear which makes setting things down or staging for use .and cleanup so much easier than cleaning all the nooks and crannies on the others or having the base dictating how or where you put things.

Posted by: Bob Foster (207.189.245.---)
Date: August 21, 2022 03:41PM

When I was researching power wrappers I literally could not get enough of forum conversations revolving around them.

I ended up going with flex coat’s DC 777. Takes only seconds to reposition rod supports, is a very clean design, the slip clutch is very handy, the foot control quickly becomes second nature and the machine is reversible. It’s wonderful to finish on as well with the finishing support, you just slide the support from guide to guide. I also like the aesthetic. It has a warm quality that’s nice to sit down to if that makes sense. Oh yeah, the low speed operation is solid. If I had a wish list for the unit it would be that it was reversible from the foot peddle somehow....for me this is only a thing out near the tip top end of the rod where turning the blank by hand is a little more challenging.

Phil, I don’t know that I’d have a preference either way but the parallel between power wrappers and “mass produced” rods doesn’t apply I’d say. Not for me at least. I only ever use the wrapper at hand wrap speeds essentially so there’s no real speed savings. This flex coat unit also makes a first rate hand wrapper if you wish even with the rod in the chuck. Hand wrap as required and power is only ever a pedal squeeze away.

I transitioned to the 777 from a crb hand wrapper. There was no big time saving but there was some for sure as once the rod, or section, is chucked up the carriage slides from Guide to guide and is quicker than repositioning the stands and blank for most every guide like I had to with the crb. Flex coat also makes pretty decent hand wrappers as well from what I’ve seen.

Good luck with your research

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: August 21, 2022 06:09PM

Anyone know the differences between the ALPs and Forecast Power wrapper except for price. ALPs is $550 and Forecast is $375. I thought they were the same company. Do they share parts?

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---)
Date: August 21, 2022 06:24PM

Are the chucks the same between the two? The Alps might include the upgraded chuck?

I will give another vote for the DC 777 as well. I probably use it as a hand wrapper mostly but nice to use as power when wanted, usually at a fairly slow speed, which is pretty easy with the DC 777. But I haven't compared to others, so take that with a grain of salt.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 21, 2022 10:40PM

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the upgraded chuck on the Alps.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: August 22, 2022 08:59AM

The Rod Building System (RBS) by Custom Rod Builder is a fully expandable and upgradeable unit that will grow with the needs of the user. It is professional-grade equipment that any skill level can afford. Start at $50 and grow into a CRB PRO system for about $500.

RBS Systems
[mudhole.com]

Some feature highlights
[mudhole.com]

RBS Roller Stands - Best in the business
[mudhole.com]

RBS ICAST Winner - Available Q4 2022
[mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2022 11:20AM

Hello everyone!

Great topic and I don't think it has been talked about enough. I have been personally obsessed with motors, power wrappers, and finishing machines for the last 5 years. In fact, the Flex Coat DC777 is my baby. I developed it through talking to rod builders, electrical engineers as well as others in our trade (all smarter than me). While nothing in this world is perfect, I believe that for the money, the DC777 is the best out there, and many agree. You should know that at Flex Coat we are very hands on. We don't order our equipment from a factory overseas or even down the road. We make it right here in Driftwood, Tx. In fact, I make it. I cut the wood, I wire the motors, I assemble and test every machine and motor that goes out for the DC777. You can call me and talk about the machine. Many times we can make custom changes that you would like, many times at no extra charge, like adding more thread spool holders, extensions or making the boards in two pieces for mobility and storage. My point is, all things considered, I am not sure you can get that anywhere else.

The DC777 is listed with many of our dealers and on www.flexcoat.com with FREE SHIPPING.

The video I made of the DC777 hits all the features:
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-250-56.myvzw.com)
Date: August 22, 2022 11:58AM

John,

I have seen the comment someplace else. Do you have a remote switch for Forward/Reverse that can follow you down the rod? Many times I want to reverse the thread and having that ability would be nice without having to go all the was to where the motor is on longer rods. (I usually spin the thread
spool at same time to keep tension so sometimes a bit harder to spin rod by hand)

Thanks

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster