I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding Crainkbait blanks
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 18, 2022 08:08AM

I started writing a response to a question posed by our beloved Phil in a different thread. Being that it was derailing the topic I figured I would move it here.

Original thread here. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the distinguishing characteristics of a
> "crank bait rod"? I ask because crank baits vary
> widely in their actions and the resistance they
> create when in use.

To keep cranking simple, I break it into three categories.

Deep cranks (20' +/-) I am looking for a blank with a bit more power. I want it to load the top third during retrieve and load deep into the middle of the blank during the fight. It is usually no shorter than 7'6" because cast distance is critical to reach max depth. Usually I find this in a blend of carbon and glass. (IP 850+/-, AA rated for lure size because it is more important to see how it loads vs how just the top 1/3 bends.)

Squarebills) I use a blank slightly lighter in power but with a faster action so I can react to bouncing off wood and rocks. I prefer mine around 7' long. In my area I typically throw 1.5s. (IP 550-600 +/-, AA 70 +/-)

Lipless/bladebaits) I like to use a rod with almost as much power as my deep crank but with a load only about halfway into the blank. This is because I am ripping grass or bouncing rocks that will claim your bait if you don't react to the obstruction fast enough. You also aren't going to get bit without hitting the obstruction either. (IP 700 +/-, AA 75 +/-)

Note 1: The IP and AA are just starting points to see if the blank has potential. The CCS ratings simply help me eliminate 90% of the field. There is not a magic number for the perfect blank.

Note2: I say the AA does not matter so much in the Deep cranks because with blend rods the AA can test high in static but it doesn't tell the full tale. A perfect example is the MB 765 NEO. It is IP 865 with an AA of 77. With such a high AA you typically don't get a deep loading blank. But because of the materials and tapers, it does indeed load well into the blank and is not as resistive as you might think looking at the numbers.

I personally use CCS as a tool to help find a starting point. Much in the same way the load data in the Hornady reload book is just a starting point. You can eliminate a super majority of the field instantly if you know what to look for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding Crainkbait blanks
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2022 10:53AM

I think a chart equating the measured resistance of the crank baits in use with the measured flexibility of the blanks in use would be useful, but might be opposed by advertisers.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: August 19, 2022 07:22PM

Your take on the NEO is spot on. That blank is very cool and the mix of a the tip and deeper load is unique for sure.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2022 07:30PM

For whatever it might be worth, the best overall blank that I have found for crankbaits has an ERN of 19.6 and an AA of 77. If there was a one size-fits-all blank, this would be it for me. It is no longer made (Seeker BCS706) but was a glass blank with a carbon wrap from the butt up to about 2/3rds or so to the tip. Fine for casting and absolutely superior for Precision Trolling.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2022 08:05AM

Point Blank 701MLF ERN = 19.8, AA = 77.

Interesting!

Mine is built as a spin for mostly finesse, but it works well for everything I've tried it on.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 22, 2022 01:19PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For whatever it might be worth, the best overall
> blank that I have found for crankbaits has an ERN
> of 19.6 and an AA of 77. If there was a one
> size-fits-all blank, this would be it for me. It
> is no longer made (Seeker BCS706) but was a glass
> blank with a carbon wrap from the butt up to about
> 2/3rds or so to the tip. Fine for casting and
> absolutely superior for Precision Trolling.
>
> ................

I have tested a NEO cut down to 7' and it has been great for squarebills, chatterbaits, and certain light spinnerbait applications. It is very similar in construction to the blank you speak of.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 24, 2022 09:00AM

I'm pretty sure the ideal rod blank used to pull shallow-running 1/4 ounce plugs would be different than the ideal rod blank used to pull 2 ounce, long lipped, deep diving plugs. I think the two would call for different ERN's and AA's or whatever other method you might use to identify a rod blank's characteristics.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2022 09:12AM

Not necessarily. I pull a wide variety of plugs with just one model rod. The plug isn't being cast, just trolled. Therefore the rod's action is dialed for trolling regardless of plug size (within reason) and the power is dialed in to the line size used and the fish I'm expecting to catch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster