I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shorter flyrod ? And opinions on NFC CB701
Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: August 17, 2022 12:53PM

A couple different questions combined here.

Looking for a shorter fly blank (7.5) 6 or 7, for targeting reds in tight areas. Throwing small crab/shrimp patterns or gurglers. Any blanks out there on the moderate side? I have cannons and not looking for that, 20-40 feet is 95% of the shots. I have never cut down a one piece fly rod and didn’t know how that would impact them. Short stroke and lots of shoulder issues. Swing weight is important.

Separately, anyone have experience with the NFC CB701(711) and how they perform, any noted differences in action between lmx, im and any backbone?

Thank you in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shorter flyrod ? And opinions on NFC CB701
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (45.141.121.---)
Date: August 17, 2022 01:34PM

Tim,
When I was in to experimenting - I had CTS build me a #7, 7'6" Affinity-MX (moderate blank) .
I caught 25-30" stripers on Cape Cod flats with it. Lot's of fun.
I assume you mean "puppy" reds.

It was a special order - but still available with no additional design fee - because I paid it yrs ago when ordered.
Let me know if you want RB.Org price.
Herb
CTS Rep.

Date: August 17, 2022 02:13PM

Thanks Herb, been meaning to message you anyway.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 19, 2022 10:46AM

Assuming there's enough room, a roll cast with a fast-taper fly line and short leader should work. I waded C.C. bay flats with a fly rod for many years and had a ball with bluefish - scads them. Cruising G.W. sharks have put an end to that.

Date: August 19, 2022 02:09PM

Ordered a blank from Herb and included the NFC blank in my recent order. Two new things, my world is reeling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster