I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Crankbait Glass Rod
Posted by: Dave Connaker (---)
Date: April 05, 2022 07:05PM

I need a recommendation related to a fiberglass blank that replicates an old St.Croix Pro Glass rod. I've tried several glass blends and none of them feel like my old Pro Glass. I'm a complete novice when it comes to fiberglass, so your help is appreciated. Is the Pro Glass 100% fiberglass? I know the blends are "better" but, for some strange reason, I like the large diameter blank, heavy weight and slow action. Is there anything out there that contains these characteristics?

Thank you in advance. Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Crankbait Glass Rod
Posted by: Mike Brill (---)
Date: April 05, 2022 07:37PM

I too like the all glass blanks. Spence Phillips was a great resource for me with recommendations of LAMIGLASS and Seeker blanks. I do not recall the numbers but I best Spencer will come in on this one. I know that Batson and NFC BOTH INTRODUCED NEW GLASS recently.

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: April 05, 2022 08:21PM

I believe the Pro Glass is composite, based on the picture I found on the @#$%& site. Says SCI glass and SC2 graphite. I like the Rodgeeks glass blanks, but then again that is the only brand of glass blanks I have tried.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 05, 2022 08:22PM

[www.rodbuilding.org] This may not help, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2022 08:30PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 05, 2022 10:31PM

Dave,
It may be a shot in the dark, but I have a number of NOS vintage FG Conolon blanks that I will put up against any modern day offering. Have you got any numbers (length, butt / tip diameters, weight, {CCS would be awesome})? Every person I have built a rod for utilizing one of these historic blanks is blown-away with its performance. Heck, I’ll send you a few to “wiggle” and choose from if you'd like.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Dave Connaker (---.bar1.Minneapolis2.Level3.net)
Date: April 06, 2022 09:54AM

Thank you for the response, everyone. The blank I'm trying to duplicate has seen better days from wear and tear perspective. I cannot see, let alone read any of the old decals. I know the length is 6'6". I cannot access the blank at the moment to share a pic. However, I was able to find something pretty close. Its a spinning rod, but looks to be identical to my casting rod.

[www.worthpoint.com]

Mark, I'm looking for 6 to 7' medium power slow action to cast crankbaits for bass/walleye. If you have a blank in mind, I'm open to trying. I tried the St. Croix LGC610MM and didn't like it. The tip is soft, but the rest of the blank was too stiff for me. I also tried the IMX-PRO 783C CBR its very nice but wasn't what I was looking for.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 06, 2022 10:42AM

Check out the Rainshadow GCB70M. Built completely from plain old E Glass. Not sure how it compares to the rod that was referenced, but we've sold thousands of these and the design hasn't been tinkered with in 20 years...
You can get one for under $50 here: [getbitoutdoors.com] These are also great for trimming to length, or to modify the action to suit.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Dave Connaker (---.bar1.Minneapolis2.Level3.net)
Date: April 06, 2022 11:18AM

Thank you Geoff, I really like the other Rainshadow product lines, so I will try it out. At $45/blank, I may try a few. Dave

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 06, 2022 06:05PM

Here is an alternative that may work well for you, nice and easy actions.
"SPG" series, available in shorter lengths.
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 07, 2022 10:35AM

Sounds like the St. Croix SG66MHM S glass blank. Rod Geeks doesn't make them any shorter than 7 ft. anymore. They also made a SG66MM, but it was not near as popular, much like the like powered SCIII crankbait blanks were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2022 10:37AM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster