I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip Removal??
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2022 02:44AM

Need some advice on a problem new to me. Glued up a rear grip and IPS seat. Everything looked good. After glue set I checked everything out. Fore grip was noticeably off when tightened. Started investigating and found a crack in the seat allowing flex when tight on the reel seat. SON of A.... Looked it over thought of a few things to try but nothing is going to make me happy other than 100 percent right.

So going to replace the grip and seat. Or should I even bother. Never had to remove a Carbon fiber grip before. No idea how much cussing is going to be involved. I am guessing it is not going to come off in anything but small little chunks very slowly.I can source a new blank for about 35 bucks shipped. Grip and seat are a lose. Could use the blank as repair stock or maybe a kids first rod if I just cut off the grip with the blank.

So is there some super easy way to get this grip off or just call it done and send my order into Get Bit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip Removal??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2022 07:06AM

If this is a rigid foam grip with carbon skin, you're in for some work to remove it. The amount of bonded surface is tremendous. However, if you have a rod lathe it is possible to sand through the thin carbon skin and then on through the core to the blank. That won't take nearly as long, but you'll need a rod lathe or some means of rigging up something similar.

If you have a carbon tube type grip sitting on bushings, then you'll have to saw, split and break the carbon tube off the arbors and then sand or cut the arbors off.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: February 18, 2022 08:16AM

If you use a grinder carefully, you can make short work of it.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: February 18, 2022 11:01AM

Michael
I have removed 5 CF grips from my fly rods - because I hate them.

I use a Lathe and rasp to remove it.
Once you're through the skin it goes fast
Is it a multi piece rod?

Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 11:08AM

Michael,

Unless the issue is going to affect the fish ability of the rod, I would likely just leave it and use the rod as a back up rod.

Then, build another one.

----------------------------------------------------
p.s.
Take a picture of your issue and post it in the photo section to better see the problem.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 18, 2022 11:57AM

Would it be wise to wear a mask if creating CF dust? I have read that it is.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2022 12:42PM

Carbon fiber skin foam core. One piece rod no access to a lathe. Would just say screw it and use it as is but afraid the crack might grow. Light action rod very slow action flexs through the grip. Went ahead and ordered a new blank and grip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2022 01:18PM

Carbon fiber grips are pretty easy to remove. A utility knife or a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel will cut through the carbon fiber and reel seat quite easily. Slice through in a couple of places and just peel off the carbon fiber and the reel seat. The polyurethane foam will scrape off pretty easily to the bare blank. Since the new grip and reel seat will be positioned at the same location, you’ll never know that an old grip was removed. I’ve also removed them intact using a cork borer, or a sharpened brass tube of the appropriate diameter. The tube cuts trough the foam core very easily. If you don’t want to salvage the grip or reel seat then just cut them off. Shouldn’t cause any damage to the blank, if you are careful. Unlike Herb, I love carbon fiber grips, especially the IPS CF grips.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 19, 2022 08:34AM

One option, considering the blank is so reasonably priced, is to give the rod to a child and simply do it over. You have your perfect rod and a child would be thrilled to get a custom rod, even if imperfect.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 19, 2022 10:32AM

I would cut it off and re do it just for the experience you will gain. What you learn now may be very helpful for future builds.

Have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster