I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

make a one piece into a two piece rod?
Posted by: Eugene Przybyl (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 18, 2022 06:34PM

I bought two used rods at Cape cod that I would like to turn into two piece rods. One is 11 ft one is 12 ft. Only reason is, I don't live near saltwater ,and so when I travel there,I need to break them down. They're both pretty old rods I think and they look like they were homemade because there's no identifying marks on the blanks and I see some drips around the wrappings. All the eyes are wire also. They look like they're made of fiberglass but I'm not sure. I've only made two rods myself and so I don't have a lot of experience. I would like to send some pictures if it's possible but I'm not sure how to do that here. So if anyone has any info that would help me, I would appreciate it ,thank you

Re: make a one piece into a two piece rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2022 08:18PM

It can be done but will be somewhat involved. Old style metal ferrules are the easiest way provided you can source them in the sizes you need. You can also make your own glass to glass ferrules but the work is tedious and requires great care. It's a bit much to go into on a forum post. I've written entire articles on the "how-to" and it's not something you can do in a few paragraphs.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 18, 2022 09:51PM

Eugene,
Tom is correct in that metal ferrules are the quickest and easiest way to section a blank, a direction many blindly take. But, even the really nice nickel/silver (NS) ferrules produce flat-spots in the flex-curve of the blank, and I have spent $125.00 to have a custom size NS ferrule drawn for a vintage rod. The cheap metal ferrules offered by some suppliers are just that = cheap, and in more ways than just cost; they are basically awful!
A much better approach is to employ the CARL ferrule system which was featured in RodMaker magazine, Volume 24 - Issue 3. Considering your rods have guides mounted, the ones above the ferrule would need to be removed and then re-wrapped. But the CARL ferrule system is so superior to any other that it warrants investigation. Contact my personal email if interested further.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 19, 2022 09:06AM

Eugene,
There is another option to take 2-1 piece rods and make one - 2-piece rods from them.

Essentially, you cut one rod in half and then take the 2nd rod and cut it in just the right place so that the two blanks will slip over one another and create a very nice 2 piece rod.

i.e. you sacrifice one rod to use as a parts rod to create the perfect single 2-piece rod.

i.e. The bottom half of the two piece rod will be from the rod that you cut in half.
Then, the tip section - which will be cut closer to the butt section will have a larger size at that point to create the perfect interlocking 2-piece rod.

So, when you cut the first half, you have to look at the rod blank thickness, and if the two rods are similar bank on the idea that the two rods will have a similar blank thickness.
Then, when you cut the 2nd rod, cut - what will be the tip section considerably longer than what you expect the final length to be. Then, you can keep trimming the new tip section little by little until you get a perfect overlap, with an appropriate amount of overlap to give you an excellent 2- piece rod. As you do this you would first clean up the butt section to insure that you don't have finish or thread or anything else in the way - as you do the final fit of the tip section over the butt section.

I have done this a number of times over the years and it works very well. But you will find that if the two blanks are identical or close to it, you will likely end up with different length butt and tip section as you work to get the perfect fit of the joint. -- If on the other hand, one blank is a touch larger than the first blank and use that larger blank as the tip section, you then likely have very close to the same length sections for the butt and tip sections.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: January 19, 2022 10:19AM

First, open your car door . . .

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 19, 2022 11:44AM

Hello All.

This is all I have on Ferrules:

Vol/Issue________Article__________________Author_________Page

6/1 Ferrule Alignment Mark Methods. By Tom Kirkman. 10
13/1 Ferrule Fitting & Restoring. By Tom Kirkman. 22
5/3 Ferrule Lapping. By Bernard Elser. 22
4/4 Ferrule Making. By Ralph O'Quinn. 22
2/1 Ferrule Mounting on Your Unibutt. 24
5/2 Ferrule Plugs. By Russ Gooding. 22
22/3 Ferrule Refitting By Tom Kirkman. 22
10/5 Ferrule Seperation Tool, Simple. By Bill Colby. 18
16/2 Ferrule Tool, Simple Say Goodbye to Stuck Ferrules Forever! By Bill Colby. 28
13/1 Ferrules Integral Assembling. 26
17/4 Ferrules Past & Present #4: Ferrules Become Collets Offshore Rods. By C. Boyd Pfeiffer. 10
11/4 Ferrules, Are Thread Reinforcement Wraps Really Necessary? 16
18/4 Ferrules, Are Thread Reinforcement Wraps Realy Necessary? By Tom Kirkman. 22
16/2 Ferrules, Making Multi-Piece. By Tom Kirkman. 12
17/1 Ferrules, Past & Present #1: When Multi-Piece Rods Lacked Ferrules. By C. Boyd Pfeiffer. 10
17/2 Ferrules, Past & Present #2: Early Metal And Swiss-Style Ferrules. By C. Boyd Pfeiffer. 10
17/3 Ferrules, Past & Present #3: Ferrules Glass to Glass & Graphite to Graphite. By C. Boyd Pfeiffer. 10
14/2 Ferrules, Past and Present. By Boyd Pfiffer. 12
4/1 Ferrules, Repairing Plug And Spigot. By Ralph O'Quinn. 16

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: January 23, 2022 09:46PM

Thanks for all the info! You've given me some things to think about. My favorite was the car door one because, like a lot of us, I've actually done that one ..I looked up the CARL method and that seems like the way to go. I wish I could sacrifice one of the rods to make one good one but I don't think I could get myself to do that..
Thanks again

Date: January 23, 2022 09:47PM

Thanks for all the info! You've given me some things to think about. My favorite was the car door one because, like a lot of us, I've actually done that one ..I looked up the CARL method and that seems like the way to go. I wish I could sacrifice one of the rods to make one good one but I don't think I could get myself to do that..
Thanks again

Date: January 23, 2022 09:48PM

Thanks again

Posted by: Glenda Rodtka (---.xplornet.com)
Date: January 26, 2022 12:47PM

Whatever happened to the internal spigot system that was popular years ago? Would seem the only issue would be finding a suitable internal spigot?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 26, 2022 02:33PM

Both spigot and over sleeve type of ferrules will work just fine. I have done both over the years. However, I prefer the over sleeve ferrule. As you mentioned, the problem is finding a suitable piece of blank to use. I have literally hundreds of broken rods and rod pieces that I have acquired over the years. They are really useful for both rod repairs, and making ferrules. However, most rod builders don’t have such a stash of broken rods. My stash has enabled me to find suitable pieces for making ferrules or repairing a broken rods, with many of these rods still in use. The techniques for both are quite similar, and not very difficult to do once you have the suitable piece. Acquiring broken rods is not that difficult. Many people I know just give me all of their old or broken rods, it is also possible to pick up broken rods at local spirting goods stores or fishing shops. They are usually more than happy to get rid of them, saves them the trouble of throwing them out.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster