I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Completely stripping a built blank?
Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: December 12, 2021 12:51PM

[rodgeeks.com]

Bought the above blank 2 yrs ago. Think they described it slightly different. Had the thought of building it casting and went through with that process. Well over the 2yrs I never used it much and when I did I didn’t care much for it. Is it worth it to completely rebuild this blank? I feel I’d have far greater use of it as a spinning rod. Rod was built simple spiral so really rebuilding could end up just being the lower half the blank with 3 guides. Tips removing the ECS seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Completely stripping a built blank?
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2021 02:57PM

Cut down both sides with a dremel tool and twist a straight slot screwdriver in the resultant slot and split the grip and pull the two halves apart. That one is a bit tougher as you need to be really careful in the area where the blank as exposed so you don't cut the blank. Also, I have that blank as a spinning rod, and it has never felt right to me either. I personally think the backbone is just too stout with a tip that light, but certainly others may disagree. I know it was made to fish soft plastic stick baits, and it works fine for that. It just doesn't feel like I want it to feel. Just something to think about before going through all the effort to re-do it. Of course if the fun is in the project, have at it. I re-did the grip and handle on that blank hoping it would help, but um, it didn't. At least I learned something.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 12, 2021 04:27PM

I would build a new rod and keep this one. You cannot have too many rods. There are a lot of nice blanks out their that don't break the bank, and same for guide sets. You have to buy a reel seat regardless of what you do.

After all, this one has an "extra sensitive" action. I don't know if that is "souful" or not, but I think it means extra fast.

It should be good for heavy jig finesse fishing, which lends itself well to baitcasting rather than spinning. Or heavy spinnerbaits.

Posted by: Jason Gofron (---)
Date: December 12, 2021 06:13PM

Yeah my intent was a casting stick bait rod. Light braid with a leader.

Thought maybe would make a good jerkbait rod shortening the back 5”. Or keep as is for a open water tube rod. But I always prefer the smoothness of a spinning setup for that

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 13, 2021 06:55AM

I would definitely not shorten it from the tip. I've never seen a case where shortening the tip resulted in a good rod.

It could be that you don't like it because you're trying to cast too light lures with it and it's not loading properly in the cast. If that's the case shortening it from either end will probably make it worse. Before you hack it up be sure to try it with lures near its max rating.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 13, 2021 09:38AM

Ditto Michael's comments.

Keep the rod and throw heavier baits with it and move on to a new spinning rod build on a different blank.

Best wishes.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2021 10:09AM

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 13, 2021 08:38PM

Pretty funny John!

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2021 01:59PM

No joke. The video isn't 100% what he needs but it shows the basics of cutting a guide off.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 14, 2021 09:43PM

My mistake, I thought you were suggesting he make it into a reamer!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster