I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow EGlass SPG721/SPG722?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2021 04:40AM

Looking at building on one of these two blanks. Wondering how close to the listed specs they run. My experience with most every blank from rainshadow I have built on tends to run higher power than listed. Actions are usually fairly close. My application for the blank can kinda split the difference of the two 721 maybe a little light 722 a touch heavy. Leaning towards the 721 expecting it to be a touch heavier than specs. But instead of hoping maybe someone can share actually experiences with the two blanks. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow EGlass SPG721/SPG722?.
Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2021 08:57AM

most of my experience with e-glass comes from mudhole glass..i found that by trimming the butt i can fine tune the power and flex easily to whatever i want..so much easier than working with graphite..

Re: Rainshadow EGlass SPG721/SPG722?
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: December 09, 2021 10:02AM

The Rainshadow power listings are 100% accurate. For them. Try not to think that rod powers are supposed to be the same across the board from mfg. to mfg. Everybody has their own idea of what "medium, medium heavy, etc. " means. Different companies use the same terms for different powers. I do not think you can show me any resource that lists just how powerful a "medium-heavy" actually is. It is whatever the mfg says it is. So the best way to compare would be against another company's "721" that you already know and find somebody that can compare the two. It is sort of like saying a "2000 series" reel. Not all 2000 series reels are the same size or have the same line capacity. If it were me, I would go with the 721 and build it very light. But I do not know what your application is for.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 09, 2021 10:53AM

I haven't used the 6 ft. versions, but have used the longer ones for trout/kokanee trolling rods, I find them power wise pretty close to what I expected and not a bit noodly. For 2 piece, I got a very good deal on Seeker E glass blanks when they changed to S glass, same nice crisp blank.

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---)
Date: December 09, 2021 11:49AM

Batson told me recently that some of their Immortal RX8 and Revelation RX7 blanks played heavier than rated, but it was not common to all of their products.

Date: December 09, 2021 02:05PM

I fully understand that power ratings vary between manufacturers. I have come to expect Rainshadows ratings to skew heavier than the same rating from other manufacturers. Was wondering if others held the same opinion in general and specifically to these blanks. I have built a couple RX6 SB720-4. Closest blank experience to the E glass in question. They are way heavier than I would of expected. Based on that I am leaning towards the 721. Application is spinner and smaller crankbaits for larger stream trout. 1/4 ounce lures 8 pound braid. Average fish 1-2 pounds potential of 5 to 8 pound giant brown occasionally.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: December 09, 2021 02:34PM

That's what I thought on the fish and lure weights. I really think you will prefer the 721.

Date: December 11, 2021 01:53AM

I went with the 721. I think I will be happier with lighter than heavier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster