I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC 8 Wt. Fly Rod Guide Sizing
Posted by: Philip Bogardus (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 02:20PM

I have a North Fork Composites 8 weight F890-4 Gamma Beta fly rod blank. When you go the the NFC website they provide the guide spacings for this rod blank (they show 9 guides) but do not give the recommended guide sizes. I did use the CCS guide spacing calculator with 9 guides and guide #1 & #9 locations matching the NFC chart to get guides sizes. Then when I check those guides sizes against other rod blank manufacturer guides sizes the CCS guide sizes are smaller than any of those. Not sure what to really do now other than guess.

Does anyone have information or recommendations for the guide sizes to match the NFC published guide spacing? Thanks for the help.

P.S. I have tried Emailing NFC but no response after a week. Seems everyone says they never respond so I am trying a different path with this great group.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC 8 Wt. Fly Rod Guide Sizing
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 02:42PM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 03:18PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 03:17PM

No one knows what lines and knots you may be using, fresh, or salt, so they err on the side of caution to ensure everything will work for you, I often have smaller guides on my personal rods. It also makes a difference whether, or not the manufacturer is using single foot, or snake guides as far as sizing goes on their charts. My rod for saltwater is 16, 12, 5, 3s to the tip, 10 guides, my freshwater rod I built to be my boomer that I now know really wasn't necessary for my sucess is 16, 12, 4,2, than 1s to the tip, 10 guides.
They are both snake guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 03:19PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 04, 2021 04:04PM

I'd be tempted to use 10 guides = blank length in feet rounded up plus one. Yes, it adds more weight than 8 or 9 guides but ought to be a sap to get a near perfect guide locations vs taper via load testing.

I'm not a single foot guide guy. I'd use an ATC MicroWave MW18 stripper, followed by a single #4 snake then #2 snakes for the rest.

I'd also use an over sized tip top loop.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 04, 2021 04:47PM

LMX (Lamda Beta) 9' 8wt / F-890-4. 10 guides; Used Seaguide 16 RS Ti frame (80"), 10 RS Ti frame (68"), REC Double foot snakes #5 (57 7/8”), #4 (48), #4 (38 ½”), #4 (30 1/8”), #4 (22 ½”), #2 (15 ¼”), #2 (9 3/16”) and #2 (4 ¼”). I did this spacing to have 4 guides on the tip section and used #2 to lighten that section, you could just do #4s to the tip. With a natural cork grip the weight came out to 4.1 oz total rod weight. Do a static test and pay close attention to the tip section because that section is not as uniform as the rest of the sections in thickness so you may need to adjust the space after the 1st guide (2nd, 3rd and 4th).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2021 06:59PM

16 - 10 and then 2's to the tip. You do not need more than 3 guide sizes to do it.

Let mention that when I mention #2s on to the tip, this would be for a standard WF line. If you are using shooting heads or anything with a loop to loop connection I would move up a size, or two. Use what you need to use to easily pass any connections you're dealing with.

Posted by: Mike Juliana (136.226.55.---)
Date: December 04, 2021 07:34PM

i just built a CTS 8# and used all REC guides: 16, 12 REC CERECOILs and then #3 REC double-foot snakes. Primary use will be saltwater.

I did just order a couple of GammaBetas and noticed they recommended 9 guides rather than 10.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2021 09:58PM

9 guides on a 9 footer is doable. 10 is easy. I would not use any more.

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---)
Date: December 05, 2021 12:05AM

I always use 9 guides + tip top on all my 9’ fly rods. Started a long time ago after seeing how T&T (who spares no expense on build quality) built their rods

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: December 05, 2021 10:13AM

Because of their geometry snake guides will allow the passage of larger knots/snarls than ring guides of the same "diameter", and snake guides are frequently lighter than similar size ring guides. A couple of Forhan Wraps around each leg of a snake guide will prevent snake guide feet from backing out from under their thread wraps.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 21, 2021 02:39PM

Mike McCoy of Snake Brand conducted an experiment for Scott Rods putting 16 guides on a 10' 8" 5-wt. In the test casting, they were exceeding all of the other rods by substantial margins! I have taken Mike's 16-guide chart and modified it for Pac Bay Arctos blanks (9' 3") and found a 13 guide train is excellent! The casting is stellar and the load of the rod is consistent over the entire length of the blank, withe the entire rod getting in on the action! Fighting fish is also improved as there are no dead spots, and the chances of breaking the rod at a point of higher stress is significantly lessened. The increase in weight is negligible as size 1 and 1/0 guides don't weight much and require very little epoxy.

I am currently wrapping a NFC 9' 5-wt with 12 guides, beginning with a 12/6 Microwave Stripper followed by a 4, 2 3's, 3 2's and 1's to the tip. I am very happy with how it is performing. Also wrapping a NFC 6-wt with and 11-guide train beginning with an 18/8 Microwave stripper with the same train, reduced by one of the size 1 snake guides. I can't say enough about the Microwave strippers, they are game-changers!

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster