I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

newbie question about guides
Posted by: Miguel Del pozo (24.48.214.---)
Date: December 02, 2021 09:25PM

Hi everyone

I am completely new at rod building. I will be practicing with some old rods. My first go will be at replacing the first and second guide of an old Clearwater 8wt. I got same size guides and i hope to be a not so complicated task that should provide me some experience on wrapping and epoxy coating etc.

But the first rod i will be wrapping is an old (circa 2001) ST. Croix Premier PS66MLF (6'6" med-lite power, fast action, SCII graphite, 4-10 lb., 1/8 - 1/2 oz). I am providing all the specs I can read on the rod, in case you guys are familiar with this blank. So my question is: What brand, what size and how many guides would you put on this rod? I understand that there is no right answer to these questions, I just want to have an idea of how experienced fellas would approach this.

Also any light regarding guide position will be appreciated.

Cheers,
MDP

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie question about guides
Date: December 02, 2021 09:44PM

Forgot to mention it is a spinning rod. I will be using a 2000 reel with light braided Line.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 02, 2021 11:10PM

As far as position, use the current guide locations.

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 07:38AM

Miguel, you just solved 90% of the rod building problems when you said there is no right answer in rod building..that,s the attitude that will make this hobby fun for you and help keep your mind open and out of the rut we all can fall into..enjoy the process of learning..

Date: December 03, 2021 07:50AM

Phil thanks for the sugestión. I've been debating if i should do that or not. I will be changing all components of that rod, therefore I will have a clean blank. With the Mud Hole building kit i also ordered the unexpensive CRB SSR concept kit. Although the ID of the guides is smaller than the original ones, the height is just a tiny bit less. I guess that marking the old guides' position, removing them and taping the new ones to test how the blank and the line behaves is the way to go.

Date: December 03, 2021 07:59AM

Hey Ben! Yes, I am very excited not only being about been able to customize rods to my likning but also about the learning process. I believe it will make the whole fishing experience more enjoyable.

I Think i read somewhere (perhaps an old thread here) a List of books about rod building. I cannot find it. It will be lovely, If you or any other member can suggest good reads.

Cheers

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2021 01:01PM

These refinishing of rods will be a great way of getting your wrapping down. I would go with the same guides that are on there, just for this purpose. Changing the height and size ring of the guides will effect the current performance of the rod. In my opinion, if you change the height and size of the guides then you will also need to change the placement and amount of guides. When doing that, the old marks on the rod where the guides were, will be visible and are very hard to remove so they are not. If you don't care they are visible then change frame, ring size and amount of guides.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 03, 2021 10:49PM

If it were me, I'd use new guides of high quality, Fuji tangle free SIC guides. I would use the existing guides as a starting point for guide placement, then do a two line static test to adjust the guide placement so the line from the reel to the tiptop equally distributes the loaf, and follows the curve of the bent blank There are youtube videos on how to do a 2 line static test. me,

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Date: December 06, 2021 12:52PM

makes total sense, thanks

Date: December 06, 2021 12:54PM

Thanks all for your advice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster