I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slightly off Topic..Rod Rack for Truck bed??
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2021 03:46AM

Looking for some ideas for rod rack for transporting rods. Downsized and upsized my truck. Got a smaller cab so just tossed in the cab transport is no longer an option. But got a long enough bed that I can know transport rods straight instead of corner to corner. Ideally I would like something that will hold two maybe three rods on the bed walls over the wheel wheels. Possibly something magnetic to simplify mounting. Did a casual web search nothing popping up. Any ideas for something I can buy or ideas of how to make something? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slightly off Topic..Rod Rack for Truck bed??
Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2021 07:20AM

Do you have a top on your bed?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: November 01, 2021 08:03AM

PVC pipe from Home Depot? With removable cap pieces? Add magnets if wanted. I would just shove the end up into the front of the bed in a corner and depending on how it fits, just tie the upper end down that lays on the top of the bed side. and one tie down will keep it in place. And you can access it by a removable cap. Slide rods in and out. Cheap. Simple. Effective, and quick and easy in and out of the truck too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2021 08:07AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 01, 2021 11:51AM

I don't think I'd trust anything magnetic. Vibration, pot holes, traffic related hard stops or fast cornering, and shifting cargo could all be issues. I've used a "cargo bar" to hold down rods in the back of pickup that have reel protector covers on them for a cushion, but that's in lined bed and with no other cargo. With the cargo bar method, place the rod butt against the end of the box and tighten the cargo bar into place so the rods can't shift forward. Some sort of hangers or tubes that attach to the bottom of a bed cover or topper would also be easy to make - the design would depend on if this is something you'll be using frequently, or only rarely, so time for install/removal would/or wouldn't be a factor.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 01, 2021 01:29PM

Michael,
The PVC with end caps is certainly a simple, effective method of storing / transporting rods. I used 4in plastic drain pipe which is considerably lighter and cheaper; same end caps as PVC.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
If there will be more than one rod in the tube, make sure to put all of them in separate rod socks to avoid guides nicking adjacent blanks from bouncing and vibration!!!
I would question how well magnets would secure the tube; play it safe and go with some sort of rigid-mount.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 01, 2021 07:04PM

Also, if using PVC tubing, put foam in the caps to prevent banging the rod ends during acceleration, and breaking. This will prolong the life of your rods as it prevents collision shock between the rod ends, and tube ends.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 01, 2021 07:31PM

VERY good point, Robert!!!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 01, 2021 07:44PM

Porta rod makes a nice bed mounted holder. [portarod.com]
Then there's this [www.boatoutfitters.com] but it's pricey

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 01, 2021 11:43PM

Horizontal rod holders for boats will work well in truck beds:

[www.cabelas.com]

Or, if you have a hard top on the truck box or a camper shell, you can put an overhead rack in either:
[www.cabelas.com]

[www.cabelas.com]

[www.cabelas.com]

[www.cabelas.com]

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2021 01:51AM

No camper shell. Do have a hard tonneau cover over the bed. Don't want to mount anything on that. I have several pvc tubes made up to transport rods. Looking for a rack for rod and reels so I can transport rigged setups. Along the bed walls is the most out of the way. Looked at the foam insert horizontal wall mount. Would have to figure a way to mount them. Not a fan of having the weight of the reel unsupported. Ideally the rear rack would be designed to hold the butt behind the reel and the front rack would be a foam type insert to wedge the rod into.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 02, 2021 03:57PM

Michael,
Simple.
Create a metal rack with horizontal legs to fit on each side of the wheel cut ins on the inside of the truck.
Then, one long continuous piece of metal to support the outer edge of the stand. Join the mount along the back for stability as well as have vertical supports which would rest along the inside of the beds to which you would support the rod supports.
A nice way to make this would be to to go to the steel yard and purchase surplus aluminum in the configuration that you need and have it tig welded together.

When you want to use it, just place it into the bed of the truck and either fasten it to the bed of the truck, or let it free float in the back of the truck and keep it in place with tackle bags.

Best wishes

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 02, 2021 05:54PM

PVC Tube with end caps that have foam lining. If you also use this in combination with a rod sock or cover, you should have no problems. I just throw it in the back of the bed and can go anywhere. Does not hurt to tie off pvc tube with rope to bed loops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster