I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

For Michael Danek (alberto knot)
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 04:49PM

Michael, I'm assuming the two 1/2 hitches you refer to are to be tied around the braid mainline with the braid tag end after both exit the loop formed in the leader. Is this correct? This quote from Marks line twist post below: > I use 4 mm runners with usually 15 pound test
> leaders and use the "Danek Improved Alberto" knot,
> which for me is the easiest and most reliable of
> the smaller knots. Just follow the instructions
> on the on-line knot tutorials, set it very
> tightly, then tie two tightly set half hitches of
> the tag end of the braid up against the knot.
I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times. Can you provide a link showing this technique? I've been using the Alberto for a long time both to tie on leaders and for tying the braid to the mono backing on the reel. What are you using as backing? 150yd.s of 19.8 lb. Hitena Silky at.006" dia. (which is what I'll be using) can't take up a whole lot of space on the reel spool, and I want to use something the braid won't want to dig into too much on the spool. I may not need to be concerned about this too much, just kinda thinking out loud. Thanks, Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2021 04:59PM by Lynn Behler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For Michael Danek (alberto knot)
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:19PM

Yes, I'm suggesting tying the braid tag end into two tightly set half hitches around the braid. It adds no size to the knot but prevents any unravelling. I use this for the braid line to leader knot. The line to backing knot can be anything. It is set under the line being used and has no opportunity to unravel or fail in any way. I usually use a double uni for that. Regardless of what the backing is.

I probably set my drag looser than most do, so don't have any problems with digging in.

Hope this has helped.

Date: October 19, 2021 05:23PM

Thank you sir, what took so long? LOL

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.80.---)
Date: October 19, 2021 05:51PM

Don't rule out the Alberto for attaching braid to mono backing on reel spools either as Lynn said he does because it makes a much slimmer profile knot that leaves a much smaller bump in the middle of your spool than say a double uni knot does . An FG is what I prefer but the Alberto is a close second . 150 yards spools of braid never work for me because on long casts you always have that connection knot between your braid and mono backing causing friction as more line leaves the spool . 300 yard filler spools eliminate this problem.

Date: October 19, 2021 06:13PM

150 should be fine for us. Marabou jigs 3/32-1/4 oz.ish. I don't want it to cast too far. They'd have to put me in the hall of fame! lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster