I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re: Proper Casting Techniques
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 02, 2021 04:32PM

Joe, less accurate by an average of 1 foot 6 inches on 100 34.75 foot casts. Mean deviation 3.62 inches. If you doubt me, run the test. :-)

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 02, 2021 04:49PM

Casts are like snow flakes no two are alike. Underhand, overhand, sideways, long, short, fast, slow, you approach the target, survey the terrain, select your lure, gauge your swing, hold your tongue in the right position, and cast away, now you are fishing.

Repeat this ritual as many times it takes to motivate the fish to strike.

The more you fish the more the art of casting becomes a conditioned reflex of feel and is accomplished without much thinking.

Have fun

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: August 02, 2021 05:27PM

A honest question deserves an honest answer: "How much more accurate in feet and inches?" Well, it varies with each fly caster, but in a fly casting accuracy contest at 35 feet I'll take an end-of-cast wrist flipper whose fly rod tip otherwise follows a straight line against a swooping arc of the fly rod tip-top caster. Why so short? Because the all-wrist swooping fly caster can't cast more than 35 feet - without a bodacious tail-wind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2021 05:29PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: August 02, 2021 08:21PM

This guy has proper technique, but according to some he is too slow on the draw... he hesitates way too long, but makes up for it in the end!

[youtu.be]

Just tossing in a little humor...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2021 09:49PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 03, 2021 07:56PM

Kent,
Thanks for the reply and video link = I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THEM !!! (the launcher, not the babe!!!)

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 03, 2021 08:16PM

… even if she does have nice teeth!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: August 03, 2021 08:22PM

Teeth. Yeah right. I know and you know we both be checking out ummmm yeah, her teeth.

Look guys I did not mean to shut down proper casting discussion with the babe launch!

Resume away and keep playing the babe launch a few more times...

Honestly I thought the guy was just plain too patient on his hesitation there and slow on the draw, but at least he wasn't smacking her on the backswing like I might of done. Sorry sweetness! If one could call it that. I suppose in certain ways yes I could!

Date: August 03, 2021 08:53PM

Kent,
It was my topic and you certainly do not need to apologize; I applaud your injection (so to speak). We all need to keep ourselves and others around amused or life can become a real drag!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: August 04, 2021 07:54PM

I never use the word 'casting ' when instructing fly fishermen. it serves only to confuse them, as they already know how to 'cast' most any other type of fishing rod already and it just serves to confuse them.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 05, 2021 07:44AM

If the streams/rivers you fish are no more than sixteen feet wide you have no reason to learn how to fly cast. You can fly fish out to eight feet standing on shore from one side, wade across, and fish the other eight feet from the other bank.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: August 05, 2021 11:31PM

Sorry for not being more clear , I'm a saltwater fly fishermen and teach with the most accurate language to the students understanding . The word casting means so many diffeerent things to so many different people , I simply don`t use it with flyrod students.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster