I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Spine finding question
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 15, 2021 07:47PM

Todd Andrizzi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry John...I don't know what you meant.

I believe what John meant has to do with Tom Kirkman's former comment which was :

" I have never found the spine to fall on the straightest axis, and very rarely even 180 degrees to the straightest axis. The latter may happen every so often, the former, never"

Rod building legends with the know how and lifelong experience of John Cates ( Owner and founder of Flex Coat) and Tom K ( No introduction needed) are true masters of the craft in every sense of the word . In other words you will NEVER find a blank where the straightest axis and spine match up .

Correction , I always get Rodger Seiders and John Cates mixed up , apologies .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2021 04:14AM by chris c nash.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 15, 2021 07:52PM

Thanks Chris! I don't want the universe to explode. I still have a lot of fishing to do.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 15, 2021 09:31PM

Who founded Flex-Coat?

Date: April 15, 2021 09:50PM

I believe it was/is Roger Seiders or Seigers...something like that. He's from Texas. His kids started Yeti coolers. I have talked to him...very nice, pleasant guy.

Posted by: Stuart Osterweil (---.ftmy.centurylink.net)
Date: April 16, 2021 09:52AM

The following cut/paste was posted by Thomas Thornhill in another thread, and I’m pretty sure he meant to put it here:

“I've been working for over thirty years as an outwrapper. I have wrapped rods for Loomis, Lamiglas, Sage, Winston, Cabela's, Penn, Sage and many more throughout the years and all of them built on the straightest axis. For the most part when the average person buys a rod they do two things they shake the rod to see how it feels and they look down the rod to see how straight it is. If it is crooked they grab the next rod. Rod companies know this and want to sell rods.”

Date: April 16, 2021 11:06AM

I just spoke with a guy from Winston yesterday. He was adamant that they spine their rods when building. Think his name was Sawer. Also got an email from co-owner of CTS..they spine their rods. She said they have a digital spiner. Waiting for Loomis and Scott and St. Croix. I'm pretty sure this won't make a difference to a lot of people but I am interested to find out how the best do it. Sage does build on the straightest axis...think I mentioned that already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2021 11:08AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Date: April 16, 2021 01:30PM

Just heard back from Scott. They do "backbone" (as he put it) their rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2021 06:25PM

St. Croix uses a laser to find the straightest axis and builds that way. To each their own.

Date: April 16, 2021 07:10PM

thanks Tom, I was waiting to hear back from them. Now just waiting for Loomis. I agree...to each his own. I would like to come to a solid conclusion on how and why the majority of the best makers do it. So far Sage and according to you, St. Croix don't spine their rods and Winston, CTS and Scott spine theirs. I like gathering the info and seeing who does what.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2021 08:33PM

And when you are done Todd, you will have the results of a poll. There may be preponderance, of one method over the other, but no facts that one is better than the other!

As many of us build for customers, the method that best satisfies them is best! For mine it is the straightest axis. I only build fly rods, so a straight sited guide lineup is what they look for most could care less about a spine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2021 11:46AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 16, 2021 08:50PM

Todd here's a Loomis tour video that mentions spine but you never see a blank being spined, I don't know if they're spined ahead of time and the guy gluing up the handles has a mark to line up to, or if he just turns the reel seat till it looks straight. They do mention spine. Watch from the 2:30 min. mark.
[www.youtube.com]

;

Date: April 16, 2021 08:52PM

That's fine Phil. I'm not in any way trying to sway builders one way or another. I build on a spine now but if I found most big name makers built solely on the straightest axis I would maybe consider changing. I'm not doing this to make any body mad but it seems some are getting that way and I am confused. This is a sight to learn and share ideas and techniques. If I were building for customers and they wanted a straight looking rod, I'd build the way you do too. I like my finished rods to look good and be of top performance. Since I don't hang my rods on the wall and look at them...I choose performance over appearance. I hope that makes sense. Sorry if I offended people for asking rod makers how they build.

Date: April 16, 2021 09:01PM

Building on the spine won't increase performance. It won't necessarily degrade performance, but it will decrease the blank's deadlift capacity.

Date: April 16, 2021 09:21PM

Tom...I read that study. It decreases it by very little. They did 50 rods...25 on spine and 25 off. No blanks could be produced exactly the same (verbatim). I am really baffled that this is such a hot issue with some people. If you like building on the spine..do it. If you like to build the straightest axis..do that. I simply thought it would of interest to people to see how the "best" makers do it. I am interested in how products and with what material products I buy are made. So if I were going build me a lawn mower...I'd research how Toro or Honda made theirs. If you all are not interested, I won't post more results. Don't want any body getting butt hurt.

Date: April 16, 2021 09:22PM

Thanks Lynn!

Date: April 16, 2021 09:36PM

Lynn, I had to listen a couple of times but the guide was saying about the handle application and when the handle was done he said, it's all lined up with the "spline" of the blank and now ready for the guides and tip top to be put on. I use the word spine...not spline. That was an interesting video. I don't make building a rod look that fast or easy. If someone watched me they'd think, no way do I want to get into that mess. Thanks...good video.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 16, 2021 09:57PM

The following cut/paste was posted by Thomas Thornhill in another thread, and I’m pretty sure he meant to put it here:

“I've been working for over thirty years as an outwrapper. I have wrapped rods for Loomis, Lamiglas, Sage, Winston, Cabela's, Penn, Sage and many more throughout the years and all of them built on the straightest axis. For the most part when the average person buys a rod they do two things they shake the rod to see how it feels and they look down the rod to see how straight it is. If it is crooked they grab the next rod. Rod companies know this and want to sell rods.”

Thank You Stuart for catching that I posted this in the wrong tread.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2021 10:14PM

Todd, I am not mad! The points I have been attempting to make (and repeated by Tom) are that building on the spine DOES NOT enhance performance, and may not satisfy customers, due to not being straight.

I agree to each his own, and those who have been on this site for a long period know. this is a non-solvable issue! My conclusion is.........................if there is no performance benefit, why bother spining.

Date: April 16, 2021 10:18PM

Todd Andrizzi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom...I read that study. It decreases it by very
> little. They did 50 rods...25 on spine and 25 off.
> No blanks could be produced exactly the same
> (verbatim). I am really baffled that this is such
> a hot issue with some people. If you like building
> on the spine..do it. If you like to build the
> straightest axis..do that. I simply thought it
> would of interest to people to see how the "best"
> makers do it. I am interested in how products and
> with what material products I buy are made. So if
> I were going build me a lawn mower...I'd research
> how Toro or Honda made theirs. If you all are not
> interested, I won't post more results. Don't want
> any body getting butt hurt.

The only difference is the mass producers have to keep an eye on things beyond performance - they have to consider what the consumer is going to find "good or bad." The whole idea of custom rod building is to build a better rod than you can buy. So... since we know for a fact that the spine cannot be orientated to produce longer or more accurate casts, or to prevent rod twist, and yet reduces a rod's total deadlift capability and speed, what advantage does it offer us? Conversely, if building on the straightest axis produces a more powerful blank (albeit by just a little) with faster speed and at no loss in any other category, why wouldn't someone build this way?

But again, spine makes so little difference that it is possible to build on or off the spine and have a perfectly functional rod. So do what feels right to you.

Date: April 16, 2021 10:30PM

Thanks...I never want to lose the desire to learn new things. So...that's what I do.

Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster