I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Strap and ring hook keeper
Posted by: Christopher Zucker (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2021 02:26PM

Hi Folks,
I'm building a 4 wt fiberglass rod and for my hook keeper I went with a strap and ring. I've got everything wrapped and ready to finish and it occurred to me that when I rotate the rod, the ring on the hook keeper flops down and hits the thread wraps. This will obviously be an issue when applying epoxy. I've thought of a few things that might keep the ring out of my finish, but I was wondering if there's a 'right' way to handle this.

Thanks,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strap and ring hook keeper
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 15, 2021 02:31PM

You could use just the strap to hold the hook, and there would be no keeper flapping around

Date: March 15, 2021 02:37PM

Unfortunately the bend in the strap is way too small.

Posted by: sam fox (205.185.135.---)
Date: March 15, 2021 02:39PM

I use a toothpick jammed in between the ring and the strap

Date: March 15, 2021 02:42PM

Thanks Sam. That was one of my ideas. The other is to tape a toothpick to the grip, with the other end going through the ring.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: March 15, 2021 04:16PM

I'm probably not envisioning this correctly but why not apply your epoxy and have it dry before you add the hook keeper ?

OK , as I thought I didn't even know what these things were or called now I do. This is easy , even a piece of playdoh molded on top of the ring and onto the base will hold that ring up out of the way for epoxy finishing then just remove it . Even a thin strip of duct tape will fix that temporary problem or try John Martines rubber band idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 08:32PM by chris c nash.

Date: March 15, 2021 04:45PM

Hey Sam. If you mean the ring, it's soldered so it can't be removed once the strap is secured with thred.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: March 15, 2021 06:12PM

Cut a thin rubber band and wrap it around the ring (push it thru with a toothpick or some tool if necessary) until the rubber band forces the ring to stand out, trim the rubber band and apply thread finish.

After the finish is cured gently remove the rubber band.

Have fun

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 15, 2021 07:10PM

Good work arounds, but in the future you might consider a different keeper design. I will never use a keeper with a moving part.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2021 10:31PM

Almost all my customers prefer not to have a hook keeper on their fly rods. Instead they keep the entire leader out of the tip and wrap it around the reel and put the hook on a guide up the rod. This way, when ready to cast you are not having to strip the leader knots through the guides and tip top again..

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 16, 2021 07:24AM

I do like Phil does. I use the frame of one of the first two double foot guides. While it's not likely that it would happen, lack of a keeper means there is nothing for the line to get caught on.

Date: March 16, 2021 09:51AM

I also use the first guide to keep my hook. The guy I'm making the rod for wanted a hook keeper and I thought the ring and strap looked nice. I didn't think it through. As Michael suggested, I will never use a hook keeper with any moving parts in the future.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 17, 2021 07:56PM

I had that same issue with a 3-wt rod where I used a Nickle-Silver strap & ring. What I did was tape a couple tall guides on either side and run an elastic line from one to the other and through the ring. This kept the ring at the top of the pocket and away from the blank, enabling me to apply the rod finish without gluing the ring to the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster