I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Trout rod advice
Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: March 01, 2021 10:14AM

I'm looking to build a small to medium stream rod to either use salmon eggs or use rooster tails. I'm debating between the Revelation REVS68UL-2SB or the Rainshadow SP781-2.

I was leaning towards the Revelation but I'm concerned it may be too light to throw spinnerbaits. The next step up is the REVS68ML but I think that may be detrimental to the sensitivity of floating eggs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trout rod advice
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 10:43AM

I have used both NFC and Lamiglas light blanks and like both of them a lot. Lamiglas usually has some clearance light g1000 pro and NFC has flash sales at 50% when you Catch them. I have built 4 on Lamiglas and 3 NFC. Had one Lamiglas that was a little crooked in a section but other than that...no problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2021 12:40PM by Todd Andrizzi.

Date: March 01, 2021 10:46AM

I would love a NFC but they're out of my price range for this rod unfortunately

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 11:21AM

Here is a possibility-I have an SB841-3 and like it very muich.

SB781-3 Clear Gloss 6'6" 3 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz. 0.494 4.5 F ML 1.7oz. Trout/Panfish light jigs and tubes/Travel rod

I don't think I would like a rod as short as 68 inches. The SP781-2, in my opinion, would work quite well too.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---.hsd1.wv.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 01:01PM

It's 6'8", not 68". I made the same assumption at first until I started to really look at the specs.

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 01:03PM

Hey Zach, just looked at Lamiglas site and there is a GP662L clearance blank for $76. Was $126. 2-8lb. If you're looking for a short light spin blank. Just an FYI. Good luck!

Date: March 01, 2021 01:28PM

Oh thank you! I probably would jump on that but I feel 5'6" is too short. Unfortunately the 6' blank is sold out

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 01, 2021 05:08PM

The size Roostertails and Bangtails I throw for trout would not be a concern for your REVS 68 choice.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 01, 2021 07:39PM

Zachary,
If you want to increase your trout Fish Fighting Fun Factor, consider a vintage Conolon blank; they are absolutely gorgeous with a coat of PG plus you will be fishing a piece of fishing rod history. I have a stock from 5ft to 7ft.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 11:53PM

I'm using a Rainshadow IMMWS62MXF for finesse worm bass fishing with 6 or 8 lb line and have made several. It's 6'2" and is a 6-15 lb advertised rod. They have a lighter one 4-10 which I think would be great for your use. The number is IMMWS62L. I bought them from Get Bit.

Date: March 02, 2021 12:10AM

I looked at the Immortal blanks but I forgot to state that it has to be a 2+ piece rod since it will be transported in a backpack or on a a bicycle frame. I may make a 1 piece rod in the future though

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 02, 2021 10:05AM

Consider the Batson RX7 earlier model ISP781-F-M
61/2' long, 2 pc, 1/16 - 1/4 once lures, Charcoal Matte finish.

We have them in stock and on sale here
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: March 02, 2021 10:13AM

Correction;
The correct number for the earlier RX7 spin blank is "IS781F"

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 02, 2021 11:09AM

Ron Schneider, what do you think of the ISP843-3 for this? I just built mine that I got from you a few years ago and it seems like it would work fine, and it's 3 piece for better pack-in. It's a reallyCCS nice, light weight, rod. Its CCS specs are 11 ERN, 65 AA. It seems ideal for what I built it for, 1/8 oz cranks for panfish.

If 7 feet is too long it could be cut off at the butt a few inches?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: March 02, 2021 11:22AM

Take a look at the Phoenix, MHX Light freshwater, Rainshadow RX6, and Anglers Workshop travel rod blanks.
[www.anglersworkshop.com]
Norm

Date: March 02, 2021 11:49AM

The ISP843-3 is a discontinued blank.
We do show one left in stock.
Since he was asking about a shorter, lighter power, I did not think of it.
But, it might make a fine rod if the 1/8 to 3/8 lure works for him, and the 7' is good.
Some could be trimmed from the butt,
however, it always needs careful consideration, since the blank was designed as 7'.
What could be done is mock it up with guides taped on
and try holding it at different places at the butt end to see how it feels.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: March 02, 2021 01:26PM

I originally thought about trimming a blank down. I started to lean against due to it being a multiple piece blank and that may ruin the action of the rod due to the ferrules being in other places than the original design.

I've looked at Phenix but they're out of my price range. There's nothing wrong with MHX, but I've built a few of those and wanted to try something new.

There's lots of good info here, that's for sure

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: March 02, 2021 03:04PM

Rods using zero drag drifted salmon eggs and rods using spinners pulled against the current might benefit from different characteristics.

Posted by: Mike Stephens (---)
Date: March 03, 2021 09:10PM

I am in process of building something similar. The blank Im using is the Phenix Elixir 5'6" UL. I turned a 7-1/2" cork grip and using a standard polymer reel seat. I plan on using a 1000 size reel. I want to find a Stradic fj 1000. I am super pleased with the feel of the rod. Great price for the blank also $49.
'

Date: March 04, 2021 03:08PM

NFC is having a great sale so they're an option now. I was looking at the FW 662-2(IM).

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster