I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod fell of the dryer.
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2021 09:07AM

I found it and the dryer in the floor this morning and the 2nd. coat of finish messed up. Can I sand it and put another coat on to fix the blemishes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod fell of the dryer.
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 28, 2021 10:13AM

Not sure how it happen but if you use a chuck on your motor [ plastic with 3 arms on it ] you have to make sure the axis of the blank holder is lined up with the axis of the motor , if not it will walk an the blank will drop out when using it as a dryer , this takes time to walk out of the jaws of your motor , [ like hours, like drying dz ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2021 10:30AM

Michael, I'm pretty sure most people will disagree with me or want my head for this but...a month ago, the tool I use that fits in my rubber chuck and then inside the female section of rod I was drying some how came loose and stopped turning. The finish sagged with a big belly and dried. I thought of removing every guide and starting over. Instead I used a new razor blade and carefully shaved the excess finish off (which was most of it) with out hitting thread. Then put another even coat of finish on. The finished areas are a little larger than I like but still very clear. The shaved areas and marks are unnoticeable. I've since done the same thing on a couple guide finishes I didn't like. I initially tried sanding down the areas but kept touching the blank and causing scuff marks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 28, 2021 10:37AM

I screw or clamp the motor end of the dryer to my bench, this prevents the dryer from walking or accidentally being knock over. Yes you can sand to smooth the finish, but take your time and be careful not to sand into the threads. I have used a finger nail Emory board for doing this. It has a flat surface of appropriate width, easily controlled, and works well.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2021 10:39AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 28, 2021 11:07AM

i never built a rod that was not worth my attention for one or two hours..build a long hot box and have the tip sticking out one end then turn the rod by hand 180 degrees at a time..probably less than an hour,s attention needed..

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 28, 2021 02:06PM

I use tape on the chuck so no matter what, it won't come out. It has happened to me before (more than once). If the epoxy is still somewhat soft then Todd's method along with a little sanding will work. Just use water to clean up the sanding dust, solvents will make the epoxy sticky and difficult to clean up.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 28, 2021 03:10PM

Michael,
Sorry for you problem but all is not (probably) lost. Simply learn from the experience to avoid it happening again.
If you are going to sand the affected areas, consider allowing the epoxy to fully cure before sanding. While it may have set, epoxies require a number of days to FULLY CURE; sanding gummy epoxy does not produce as nice of a finish as when hard. If it possible, a post cure of 150* for 6-8 hours will eliminate the extended wait time.
Shaving the affected areas as Todd suggested is another possibility; I do not understand why he was afraid of his method being wrong = it is certainly doable. However, inversely to sanding, the sooner = the better. Norman’s suggestion of using an Emory board is very good if you can find one with the proper grit.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 01, 2021 10:36AM

With the 3 jaw chuck and freestanding dryer motor I found you had to reverse tape the butt of the rod.....then tape it into the chuck.....then tape the dryer motor base down.... then pray.

Date: March 01, 2021 11:54AM

If the axis is the same on the motor an the holder for the blank on the drying stand that problem goes away , I THINK

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2021 03:32PM

Save your prayers, nothing has ever fallen out of the Flex Coat self adjusting chuck on all USA made Flex Coat motors.

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: March 02, 2021 08:41AM

I believe that John. I've been using flex coat for 15+ years and never had a rod walk out. Have 3 of them now. But...just received the up to 200RPM motor with slip clutch and it wobbles. I have had the problem before on the others but was able to adjust the blank in or out and mostly fix the problem. I worked for half an hour just adjusting and couldn't get it fixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 10:25AM by Todd Andrizzi.

Date: March 02, 2021 12:41PM

Walking out of chuck ??? i the reason is that the axis of the blank is not on the same plane as the jaw's of the dryer motor axis , if they are not on the same, some thing has to flex as blank turns ,

William Sidney
AK

Date: March 02, 2021 12:41PM

Walking out of chuck ??? i the reason is that the axis of the blank is not on the same plane as the jaw's of the dryer motor axis , if they are not on the same, some thing has to flex as blank turns ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 02, 2021 04:29PM

Todd,
With respect to your wobble issue:

1. Is the shaft on the motor straight and have no wobble as it turns.

2. Is the body of the chuck true - and ignoring the front of the chuck, does the body of the chuck turn cleanly with no wobble. i.e. is the casting true and is the back of the chuck true so that the molded chuck itself run true.

3. Now, comes the question: Is the hole in the face plate of the chuck perfectly centered in the face of the chuck.

My guess is that if items 1 and 2 are all right, that then you have a bad face plate on the chuck that is not 100% in the center of the chuck. If that is the case, just have flex coat send you a new face for the chuck, or the chuck itself wobbles and the face of the shaft is 100% at 90 degrees to the chuck, the you need to have a new chuck sent to you to eliminate the wobble. I think that your situation is rare. I have used a bunch of these chucks over the years and have never had an issue with any of them.

Good luck

Date: March 02, 2021 06:23PM

Thanks Roger, I will check all of those issues. I haven't used it yet..just put a finished rod in and turned it to see what 200RPM's looks like.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2021 11:17AM

Todd

Also, you can give me a call and I would be glad to talk to you about all things motors and chucks and more

512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 06, 2021 05:39PM

I had a couple of rods walk out of a 3 jaw chuck during the drying process on my PacBay power wrapper a couple of years ago. I removed the rubber jaw covers and stuck pieces of a pebbled finish self adhesive saltwater grip tape which seemed to give a more positive grip (my perception). But the real solution to the problem was how the rod was supported during the drying process. I discovered that if you chuck the butt as usual and have the remainder of the rod reasonably level, resting on one of the supports without having the top wheel of the support in contact with the rod so that the rod is only cradled from the bottom, it won't walk out. If the top support wheel is tightened down on the blank and everything isn't perfectly plumb, force is being applied that will make the butt walk.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: March 07, 2021 01:37AM

If your using a static { thumb screw retainer} rather than a dynamic { rubber disk} retainer , its best to hook a rubber band from the rod butt to one of the thumb screws , thus pulling the rod into the cup preventing drop out,even if the screws get a little loose.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: March 07, 2021 01:43AM

If your using a static { thumb screw retainer} rather than a dynamic { rubber disk} retainer , its best to hook a rubber band from the rod butt to one of the thumb screws , thus pulling the rod into the cup preventing drop out,even if the screws get a little loose.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 07, 2021 04:27PM

Not exactly pertinent to this discussion, but I recommend adding a UPS to the rod dryer equation.

Been awhile since I have built a rod so the memory is fuzzy. Seem to recall my Pac Bay chuck gets locked down, then has a back-up wing nut, and hooks on the jaws for three rubber bands. It has worked well for me FWIW. I haven't tried the flex coat, but like all of their offerings, I'm sure it is a quality product.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster