I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

H I Davis
Posted by: Arne Kusserow (---)
Date: February 09, 2021 12:05PM

Hi,

I am pretty new here as a member but was looking to the forum as a guest. I have an H I hexi cane Davis rod in a pretty good condition. I just want to fish it. Looks as if all parts are there and are the real ones. Bindings are black and yellow. I have to re-wrap the ferrule windings and want to know what the correct colors are and where I can get the threads.
From my research I guess it was build betwenn 1931 and 1935, are there visible differences between the rods during this phase?

Arne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: H I Davis
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: February 09, 2021 12:15PM

It sounds like you want an antique cane rod which looks original. If it is as old as you think I suspect it is quite vulnerable to breakage while casting or fishing, but I may be wrong. I would ask around before I did any casting with it, before or after restoration.

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2021 04:20PM

Arne,
According to one of the best sources for information on bamboo rod restoration, Michael Sinclair's book, the yellow is YLI silk 214 and the black is YLI silk BLK. Any of the sponsors to the left who handle Fish Hawk silk, should have these colors. The Davis is 1930s vintage. Good luck. Refinishing and fishing those old bamboo workhorses is a rewarding experience.

Posted by: Arne Kusserow (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 10, 2021 01:25AM

Hi,

Thank you very much for the Information, Jim. I see no delamination on the blank. The 90 yrs old varnish has lots of small cracks, but I guess this is normal, giving that it is a really old item. The bamboo itself shows no cracks, just a little kink in the top part, which I try to minimize by hanging the tip on a thread. Giving this excellent Overall condition and the fact this rod, no matter how old it is, is built for one single purpose, fishing, I will take the risk to fish it. I know that, even if i really like the rod, it is not a high price collectors item, but a mass product. Since the extra tip is missing, it is even on the lower end of vintage bamboo rods and not that interesting for collectors.

But Phils comment is important to me. Can anyone here report on damage on bamboo flyrods caused by fishing? And if so, is there a notable correlation to the rods condition (delamination).

Thanks guys, you really helped me.

Arne

Posted by: Arne Kusserow (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 04:17AM

HI again,

I've checked for the thread here in Germany and what I got is YLI 214 Daffodil yellow, is this the right one? Here i found the number #100/2 and this seems to be the size of the thread, because other colors have this numbers, too. Can you tell what the correct size of the thread would be?

Best

Arne

Date: February 10, 2021 05:29AM

Arne,
Yes, YLI 214 is the correct yellow and #100 refers to the size of the thread and that would be the correct size as well. Use a good color preserver that works for silk to keep the yellow bright.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: February 10, 2021 10:21AM

I have an old Montague bamboo rod that I fish with no problems at all, and it’s a lot of fun to use.
Norm

Date: February 10, 2021 10:46AM

Arne,
I fish my Montague and HI rods a lot. With an old rod you never know how the rod was stored or how the rod was maintained over the years. The risk is always that the bamboo may be dried out and brittle. In all of the years that I have fished vintage bamboo, I have had one failure. I had a Montague Red Wing break at the mid section ferrule during a cast. Take your Davis on the water and enjoy it. At the end of the day, dry it thoroughly. As Norm said, they are a lot of fun to fish.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster