I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

On Arm Rod Building
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: February 09, 2021 10:12AM

I am a Volunteer with Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. We work with Disabled Vets through Fly Tying, Rod Building and Fishing. I recently had a request from one of our Veterans on any information on how to build a rod if you only had one arm. At first glance I can see several approaches, but I wanted to toss it to the Experts and see if anyone on the forum has experience in doing this. Special tools, techniques etc.

Many thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: On Arm Rod Building
Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2021 10:44AM

Many thanks to you John for working with people that protect us!

Date: February 09, 2021 10:50AM

Todd,
Thanks, its been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. It was an honor for me to have served and now to be able to give back to other Veterans is really an awesome opportunity.

Date: February 09, 2021 03:43PM

double thanks to you for serving also! Good luck! I am an old nurse and worked with a nurse for a short period that only had one arm. She did have an arm above the elbow and then the other, a normal arm and hand. She was amazing! She did everything every other nurse did...and did it well. Any thing and everything is possible. I hope you can get some help in your service. Building rods has been a lifesaver for me. Thanks again!

Date: February 09, 2021 04:39PM

Todd,
Many thanks. As a matter of fact I posted this to the Mudhole Facebook group page and got a response from a One Arm Vet who built a rod. I am putting him in touch with the vet in Texas who is asking for help.

Date: February 09, 2021 06:20PM

perfect! stay healthy and safe!

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 09, 2021 08:32PM

I applaud your effort. If you need some donations to help fund the build, just post that and I am sure a number of us would chip in. An anlger I knew, sadly he passed away a few years ago, fly fished for decades with a withered, mostly non-functional arm. He was a very skilled angler and it was amazing how went about the sport, which was a great passion for him.

Date: February 11, 2021 11:08AM

David,
Its amazing watching these Veterans overcome their handicaps. We have Vets in wheel chairs, lost arms and legs and nothing stops them. They have an indomitable spirit and it's an inspiration to me every time I fish/meet with them. Amazing how small all the other problems we are facing appear when compared to what they have overcome and continue to battle.
Thank you for your willingness to support our programs. If you are interested here is our national website address: [projecthealingwaters.org]. Some good videos of our program and the Vets we work with.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2021 01:15PM

John my best friend of over forty years has only one functioning arm. When my wife passed away, who always went with me, he offered to go to the ICRBE with me and was immediately hooked on rod building. The problem was where do we start. When I got back home i put a blank on the wrapper and put my right hand in my pocket and said to myself "Tom build a rod" . Well long story short I did it and it went amazing well. He now has built all of his own rods. To include one or two with chevron wraps. He took photos and showed to Bill Vivonia the next year and was blown away how he could of done it.

If you want to email me with your phone number I will be happy to go over the whole process. Send you photos of how achieve perfect wraps with minimal hassle, etc.

Below is a photo of Dominic's chevron wrap made with no assistance from me. All things are possible !!!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster