I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping the entire blank
Posted by: Thomas Roda (---)
Date: January 30, 2021 10:02AM

Just a quick question. I bought a reel from a guy and during the transaction he showed me a Canyon style stand up rod built by a well known builder. He said he had him wrap the entire blank to the tip. I asked him why and he said he wanted something unique. Is this a thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping the entire blank
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: January 30, 2021 10:09AM

I may start some heated discussion on this, but basically there are 2 sides to custom rod building. There are custom rod builders who are into creating high performance fishing rods, and then there are custom rod builders who care more about looks and art than performance. And this subject of wrapping an entire rod falls into the latter category. To me it is a useless thing to do to a rod. Not only does it add weight, but it kills sensitivity or the rod's ability to vibrate and transmit those vibrations to the handle.

So you have to ask yourself what is more important- looks or performance?

For the record I am a minimalist. I strictly focus on engineering performance because to me a rod is a tool no different than a hammer or screwdriver. And I don't add decorations of art to any of those tools so why would I ever do it to a fishing rod tool? To me art is for hanging on walls.

So that's my take on it- an entire rod wrap is useless artistic decorative junk that has no mechanical use in improving a rod's function as a tool. Some might argue but it helps to protect the blank.

And I guess I should clarify there are custom rod builders who like high performance fishing rod tools that also look pretty. But there is a fine line between the 2 and a definite balancing point where one can easily cross the line from performance function to non performing art.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2021 10:14AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2021 10:27AM

It's not a "thing" for most builders. It adds unnecessary weight, makes the blank speed slower and is tough to maintain since epoxy thread finish isn't particularly hard. But if that's what you want, go with it.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 11:41AM

WoW! I would like to see a picture of that rod.

Its not a thing, As Kent said "it is a useless thing to do to a rod".

I am a minimalist also and I have to be comfortable and confident with the rod I build and avoid non-contributing items in my build, however I personally marvel at some of the thread work produced it shows great skill and imagination

In your friends defense if that is what he wants and it makes him happy then more power to him.

My take is do whatever makes your boat float. because no matter what you do there is always someone unhappy with your style.

Have fun

Posted by: Thomas Roda (---)
Date: January 30, 2021 12:09PM

He was asking if I would like to buy it. He took it out of the rack and then told me it’s was an entire wrap. I was kinda like ‘oh that’s nice ‘ and handed it back. I didn’t get a good look at it but did ask him why. He stated he just wanted something different. For all the reasons listed above, I would never build one fully wrapped let alone buy one. John D hit it on the head. He loved the rod and it was built to his design specs. I’m new to building and custom rods in general, so I hadn’t heard of this. My idea of a sexy rod is a blacked out build. Thanks for the responses.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 30, 2021 12:25PM

Thomas,
If you want a heavy stick that can be nicely decorated to serve as an attractive piece of art, go ahead and wrap the entire rod. If you wish, you can put on multiple layers of thread and you can put on 50 layers of finish.

If necessary, you can use a block and tackle to raise what may very well turn into a beautiful piece of art for a focal point in a room.

It could certainly be done and has been done in the past.

However, it would no longer be a useful tool to pluck fish from the water, but it may very well be an absolutely unique piece of art in an outdoors themed room.

Best wishes

Posted by: Todd Andrizzi (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 01:13PM

I have no where near the knowledge most of you on this site have but before I even read any comments I thought, WHY?? I totally agree with Kent. The builder mentioned must have a lot of time as well as finish on hand. I like my builds to look good and crisp and I like some kind of bling whether it's a nickel reel seat or an agate stripper guide ( I know...more wt.) but I build to fish. I would think all of us want people to look at our rods and say something positive. My opinion is building rods is partly art...color chosen to match blanks and guides etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2021 08:47PM by Todd Andrizzi.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 02:39PM

I agree with the comments, but if there ever were to be a rod where this would have minimum effect on the performance, would it not be a "canyon style stand up rod?"

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 03:00PM

Hello All.

Years ago I needed a short slow rod for catching silver-sided sardines with 6-7 hook tsubaki rigs in deep water.

I found a 24" tip of a Shikari rod with the lower half broken, the 24" piece was to fast, so why not try to slow it down a little, but still be strong enough for deep water bait fishing.

I was surprised to find that it worked fine when I wrapped the whole length, I was using it to catch bait on home made tsubaki rigs and would sometimes hook a much larger fish while bringing up the bait fish, the largest fish I've caught with it is a 5# Mahi -Mahi while reeling in a small cigar minnow from the bottom on my tsubaki rig.

I've brought that rod to the ICRBE a few times.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2021 03:41PM

Sooner or later someone is bound to build a rod with a spiral guide train AND thread wrap the blank butt to tiptop. I look forward to the photos.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 30, 2021 08:06PM

It's a thing if you're not wrapped too tight. Lol.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 31, 2021 12:44AM

Hey gang! Lets do a reality check.

I pride myself in building custom rods. A potential customer comes in and this is what happens.

Customer: Hi I would like to have a light action rod built.

ME; No problem, what do you have in mind?

Customer; I would like a 6 1/2 foot light action spinning rod. I prefer a cork grip, light weight guides and a composite reel seat. Let me know what you recommend.

ME; OK, I'll write up a bill of materials and we will go over it, make any changes you want and agree on a fee.

Customer; Good! Oh by the way, I want the blank wrapped from the fore grip to the tip.

ME; Are you serious???? Wrapping the whole blank adds unnecessary weight and will drastically alter the action of the rod and quite frankly is not normally done.

Customer; I understand, but that's what I want, how much will you charge.

ME. Well it means extra work and take more time than a standard build and I really don't recommend it. I'll have to think about it.

Customer; I understand, but I want a unique rod and I will pay you double what you usually charge.

ME; What color wrap did you have in mind?

And so it goes.

Have fun

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 31, 2021 02:29PM

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”; “One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor”; “Form follows function”; pick your poison.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster