I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Advice
Posted by: Tony Papazian (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2021 04:09PM

I'm going to build a drop shot / small swimbait rod on a NFC X-Ray DS721 blank. The blank is 86" / 6-10lb line / 1/8 - 5/16oz / Ex-Fast / Ultra light & I'm going to have a Shimano Vanford 3000 with 10lb braid on it. I'm looking to go with Fuji KL-H reduction guides in 16H, 8H, & 5.5M but I'm unsure if I should use the KT or KB running guides in size 4 or 4.5? I'm also going to us the Fuji KG Arowana tip guide wit hall of the them in the black titanium SiC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Advice
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 27, 2021 04:35PM

I always use 2 KB's, the rest KT's, and I build with 4's most of the time. I doubt if you could tell the difference very easily if you got the 4's and 4.5's mixed up, and I doubt if you could tell the difference if you test casted to determine the difference. I am confident in my Alberto and FG knots for line to leader, so 4's work for me. 4.5's would give a little more room for a knot while theoretically 4's will be a little lighter.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 27, 2021 05:59PM

With the Vanguard 3000 and 10 pound braid the 16 H is a great choice for the main reduction guide especially if you plan on sticking with 10 pound braid and that specific reel which I assume you will . Some prefer the next size up the 20 H and some even go as large as a 25 H but totally unnecessary . I always use 1 KB as the 'Choke' and the rest of the runners are KT on my spinning setup's. I use size 5.5 for the KB and KT from my heaviest surf rods to my lightest inshore rods . No issues at all .

I would go size 4.5 mm for the KB and KT's on the build you're about to engage in, 5.5 mm is overkill and even 5 mm is unnecessary . Some like to use KB's for the choke and runners and nothing wrong with that , only difference is the KB has a more substantial foot .

Enjoy

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2021 09:06PM

I agree in the two KB's and then KT's as Michael suggested . However on all of the drop shot rods I have built I used the 20H, 10H and 5.5M and they are working very well and with that 3000 size I think it would be a good match. But truthfully the 16H and 8H will work will with that smaller line and is what is recommended on the Fuji GPS software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2021 09:08PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 27, 2021 09:16PM

Sometimes reading over a few pages of recent posts will save you the trouble of typing a question. Not that I mind the question, just sayin'.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 27, 2021 10:40PM

FWIW Tony, I'm new to braid and the KLH guides. I also grabbed some NFC blanks. I pretty much assumed I'd go 16, 8, 5.5 on one. Then 20, 10, 5.5 on the next. And of course 25, 12, 5.5 on the last one. Figured I'd gain some first hand experience that way.

I got convinced to skip the 16, 8, 5.5 approach. Seems there is very little weight savings and no real benefit in casting with lighter braid. On the other hand, there might be a penalty if you decide to fish mono, heavier braid, or use a bigger reel, later on. Might as well keep as many options open as possible if it doesn't cost anything.

You may feel differently. I could counter with why worry about the weight of a 20 vs 16 and a 10 vs 8 when you aren't concerned with the weight of a 3000 vs a 1000 reel.

Now from what little I have heard about that blank, I would go with a 1000 reel and consider it an UL rod. At that point I might go 16, 8, 5.5. Of course I'd say the bigger part would be to go with 4's the rest of the way rather than 5's.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tony Papazian (---)
Date: January 28, 2021 01:14AM

Thanks everyone! Such a great community & resource for the rod builder.

Michael, Chris & Tom - Thanks for confirming my plan. I think that's the route I'm going to go, 16H, 8H, 5.5M, 2 KB's, & the rest KT's. I will probably buy a 20H & a 10H & tape both sets up & test cast them to see which I like better.

Lynn - Sometimes I'll use the search function but usually that means wading through a lot of un-need posts so I find it easier just to ask the question as while the computer is a great tool I prefer to be out from in front of it as much as possible outside of work.

Russ - The 1000 reel is just to small for my intended use as the spool diameter reall reduces casting distance.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: January 28, 2021 08:46AM

Posted by: Tony Papazian (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2021 01:18PM

Thanks Jim. Just what I needed.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 28, 2021 07:57PM

Tony, you're right where you need to be. Test both, you may well be happy with the 16 reduction train. It might cast farther than you can effectively fish the intended lures. I usually opt for the 20 train because of the extra versality, but don't feel I have to.

Date: January 29, 2021 01:29AM

Thanks Lynn.

Date: January 29, 2021 09:39AM

For what it's worth. The 16, 8, 5.5 KR Reduction train is just what the doctor ordered IF certain things will likely NOT change on a particular rod. I get whisper-quiet performance from the 16, 8, 5.5 with a 2500 Series reel loaded with 8lb Power Pro. I use this set-up for small jerk baits, shallow swimmers and 1/8 oz grubs on medium, medium-light and light blanks. These rods are a BLAST to fish! In the past, if I decided to go up to 15lb braid for "redfish" reasons on one of these rods I would immediately notice some added noise and a tiny bit of resistance in line-feed to the stripper. On the water experience has taught me that the 16, 8, 5.5 group is best dedicated to light braid up to maybe 10lb. Any rod that may ever be used with a bigger reel or heavier line, in my arsenal, will have a 20, 10, 5.5 group. This group will handle the 8lb braid beautifully (and also the 8lb fluorocarbon), but will also handle the 20lb.

That said, I am sure someone has successfully built a 13-foot "heaver" with a 16 stripper and loves it. ;)

Date: February 01, 2021 12:29AM

Thanks Jim. The 2500 & 3000 reels are the same size reel with just a different spool capacity. What size running guides do you go with?

Date: February 01, 2021 02:16PM

Date: February 01, 2021 02:44PM

Jim,

Did you stay with the 5.5 over the 4.5 or 4 to give you more options if you were to up your line size? The largest line size I'll be usuing on this rod is 10lb braid & 8lb flouro.

Date: February 01, 2021 03:05PM

5.5 is my choice because I am usually casting a braid to 20# fluoro knot. That and the fact that I get tired of looking for the 4's on the floor, where I inevitably drop them while trying to pick them up. Size 4 would be plenty for your set-up.

Date: February 01, 2021 06:24PM

Thanks again jim.

Date: February 14, 2021 01:32AM

Well I received all my components to start my build. I order the 16H, 8H, 5.5M for the reduction guides & I'm really surprised at how small they are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster