I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Help with KR Guide System on Inshore Spinning Rod
Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: November 03, 2020 11:29PM

Hello all,
I'm trying out the KR Guide System for the first time and I've noticed something when using the GPS for KR Guides. I don't seem to have a selection for 40lb braid which is what the customer for will be using with this rod. The options that GPS gives are 20H, 10H, and 5.5M for 15-20lb braid (the largest I could select). If I selected 10-14lb mono (closest line size diameter to what they'll be using) I got 25H, 12H, and 5.5M. What reduction train guide sizes would you guys recommend for the 40lb braid?

If it helps, the rod will be a 7'6" MF Inshore Carbon 2 Graphite series rod from rod geeks. They'll be using a 4000 series reel as well. My plan is to use size 6 kb and kt runners.

Thanks for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with KR Guide System on Inshore Spinning Rod
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 04, 2020 07:51AM

I would not use the mono with the same diameter as the braid for comparison because of the significant difference in flexibility of these lines. I'm not sure whether ideal guide placement is a function of casting distance, or rod strength, or some other factor, but I would like to know?

Posted by: Keith Langford (---.health-partners.org)
Date: November 04, 2020 08:45AM

I would think the 20,10 & 5.5 would be fine. I would have the reel with correct line size and static test for placement of the stripper and reduction trane, may have to deviate a little from the KL suggestions, try to achieve the bullseye with the stripper and next two guides with choke guide being a little forward, like in the directions. i have found this to make a great casting rod. Follow with 2 KB and the rest KT. I am sure way more experienced than me will chime in also.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 04, 2020 08:49AM

Try them both and test cast, then you'll know for sure next time.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 04, 2020 08:55AM

Try them both and test cast, then you'll know for sure next time.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 09:41AM

There is a point where braid (and/or mono or fluorocarbon) is simply to stiff to be choked down in the "rapid choke" sysytem defined by KR Concept. The idea behind the concept is to quickly choke line through smaller guides to assure it is running smoothly along the blank as SOON AS POSSIBLE in the cast. GPS for KR does not cover the #40 braid scenario because (generally) #40, because of it's stiffness, will not work as well as #40 running through a traditional New Guide Concept layout.

This is the official Fuji position but many builders have pushed those original parameters beyond the initial recommendations. Just because it does not show on GPS for KR Concept doesn't mean you can't experiment. There are thousands of rods out there sporting KR that are performing beyond Fuji's original intentions with the Concept. Go for it. Tape and test.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: November 04, 2020 09:54AM

Using 40 pound test braid on a rod rated for 8 to 18 pound line and 3/8 to 3/4 oz line seems like a little overkill to me. But if that is what he wants, then that's what he wants. If you want to use size 6 runners then you are out of a KR micro set up and into a KR conventional set up. In this scenario, you have a couple of choices for a 3 guide reduction train:
KL25H, KL12H, KL6L to your size 6 runners
KL25H, KL12H, KL7M to your size 6 runners.
Use the KR GPS to get a tentative layout. Don't be afraid to move the choke and/or stripper in or out a little to get a good static test and good casting performance.
There are also a couple of 4 guide reduction train options, with the fourth guide serving as the choke guide.
For information on KR guide groupings read this: [anglersresource.net]
Norm

Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: November 04, 2020 10:53AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Using 40 pound test braid on a rod rated for 8 to
> 18 pound line and 3/8 to 3/4 oz line seems like a
> little overkill to me. But if that is what he
> wants, then that's what he wants. If you want to
> use size 6 runners then you are out of a KR micro
> set up and into a KR conventional set up. In this
> scenario, you have a couple of choices for a 3
> guide reduction train:
> KL25H, KL12H, KL6L to your size 6 runners
> KL25H, KL12H, KL7M to your size 6 runners.
> Use the KR GPS to get a tentative layout. Don't be
> afraid to move the choke and/or stripper in or out
> a little to get a good static test and good
> casting performance.
> There are also a couple of 4 guide reduction train
> options, with the fourth guide serving as the
> choke guide.
> For information on KR guide groupings read this:
> [anglersresource.net]
> Norm

Norm,
Thank you very much for your response, I believe I'll try your recommendation of 25,12,6 and see how the static line test fairs. Thank you!

Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: November 04, 2020 10:56AM

Jim Ising Wrote:
> There is a point where braid (and/or mono or
> fluorocarbon) is simply to stiff to be choked down
> in the "rapid choke" sysytem defined by KR
> Concept. The idea behind the concept is to quickly
> choke line through smaller guides to assure it is
> running smoothly along the blank as SOON AS
> POSSIBLE in the cast. GPS for KR does not cover
> the #40 braid scenario because (generally) #40,
> because of it's stiffness, will not work as well
> as #40 running through a traditional New Guide
> Concept layout.
>
> This is the official Fuji position but many
> builders have pushed those original parameters
> beyond the initial recommendations. Just because
> it does not show on GPS for KR Concept doesn't
> mean you can't experiment. There are thousands of
> rods out there sporting KR that are performing
> beyond Fuji's original intentions with the
> Concept. Go for it. Tape and test.

Jim,
Thanks for the background of why there's no selection for 40lb test. It now makes sense! I believe I'll take your recommendation of tape and test with the guides that others have suggested. Thanks for the response!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 11:28AM

I’m with Norman, 40# is way too heavy for that blank. 15# braid is the most I’d want to see used.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 04, 2020 12:33PM

If casting distance is not of importance to the customer, then you can basically use any guide layout you want. If casting distance is of importance, then the performance of the rod would dramatically increase if the customer would use 15-20 pound braid, and a KR micro set up. The KR layout I would suggest would be KL20H, KL10H, and KL5.5 M with size 5 KB/KT runners. Again it’s his choice, just be prepared if he complains about casting performance, so warn him ahead of time.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: November 04, 2020 01:06PM

I assume "casting performance" here refers exclusively to spinning rods and to distance, not accuracy in casting. Where can I access a reliable publication which reveals the casting distance achieved by any particular casting weight and brand and model of blank along with the make and model of reel used, the line used, and the guide spacing which produced this distance? I would ask a cooperative fisherman/caster instead, but somehow fishermen and fishing tackle component vendors have acquired a reputation for editing reality.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 01:42PM

casting distance for me is mainly by far a function of line type and size ..for example i changed 5mm runners to 4mm runners and did not see any change in distance with 10# power-pro but i,m sure if i was using 6 or 8# power pro i would have seen an improvement..

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 04:29PM

Not to thread jack....but I have three NFC spin/jig blanks to turn into inshore rods and will be trying the KR setup for the first time. The heaviest braid will be 20# and I could see going as light as 6# on one blank.

I have pretty much settled on going 25H, 12H, 5.5M on the heaviest one.....20H, 10H, 5.5M on another....and 16H, 8H, 5.5M on the lightest one.

So my question is what tips match the KR concept.....and what KT runner size to use given double uni knot inside guide train with 20, 15, and 6-8# braid? Assume mono leader is same # test as the braid. If it matters 20 and 15# braid will be Yo-Zuri and 6-8# will be Fireline.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 04, 2020 07:04PM

Russ, the Fuji LG tip tops are the matching tip top for the stainless corrosion control KR guides. They come in various ring and tube sizes. If you want a titanium tip top for the various titanium frame KR guides use the Fuji KG Arowana tip top. I normally use size 4.5 runners, and they can pass double uni knot for the braid to leader connection. I use the FG knot as my leader to braid knot; it is the thinnest and strongest knot available. Since it has no tag end in front of the knot, it will easily passes through size 4 runners. As far as runner size that’s up to you, I would recommend a size 5 or 4.5. They will all work very well, even the size 4s.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 04, 2020 07:19PM

Norman is the man when it comes to KR concept spinning rod guide trains. He will get you dialed in beautifully. As a question concerning how stiff 40# braid is? I use 50 and 65# braid on my casting rods from time to time. Now I know casting rods are different animals than spinning rods when it comes to handling stiff lines, but ........ I don't find 50# or even 65# braid to be as stiff as most 10 - 14# nylon mono filament lines. Sure, when the braid is new, it's stiff, but it's been my experience that it quickly becomes extremely limp, even in the larger sizes that I use. But, I have no basis for comparison with lighter tests braided line than those that I mentioned.

With that said, based on how limp 50# or even 65# braid becomes rather quickly, I would think the 25H, 12H, 6L that Norman mentioned will cast very well with 40# braid. I'd even guess that the guide sizes that Russell mentioned would work well, as well.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 04, 2020 08:16PM

I agree with David, and Phil you are correct in thinking accuracy is not an issue and the post regards spinning rods.

Date: November 04, 2020 08:59PM

All Braided lines are made from either Spectra or Dyneema fibers, and both have the same mass of 0.97g/cm3, a reason it floats. So it makes perfect sense that with all things being equal, the thinner the line the further it will cast because it has less mass to carry per distance than a thicker line. I have tested a bunch of different braids and have found this to be true. However, the problem with braided line is marketing, since there are no real standards which are followed. For example, one company may market their braid as the thinnest 30 lb braid, and it will have the same mass/ft (diameter) as another company’s 10 lb braid, which is marketed as the strongest 10 lb line. Both will cast similarly, and will have approximately the same absolute breaking strength, because they are made from the same stuff. Thus one company’s 40 lb braid may be quite different in mass/ft compared to another companies 40 lb braid, the lighter (thinner) one will cast further and the heavier (thicker) one will be stronger. You just have to figure out which braid works best for you.
Norm

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: November 05, 2020 07:50AM

So Norm, my question would be how do I find the mass ratings of different line manufactures?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: November 05, 2020 09:01AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> All Braided lines are made from either Spectra or
> Dyneema fibers

Those are marketing names aka brands. The line is actually PE plastic or from wikipedia: "Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMW) is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. Also known as high-modulus polyethylene, (HMPE)

Dyneema and Spectra are brands of lightweight high-strength oriented-strand gels spun through a spinneret." Based on a particular patented formula and process unique to the patent holder of each one.

Some years ago I did some research on braid line and found out some interesting details...

1)Virtually all brands of braid line do NOT make their own PE gel spun fibers.

2)Virtually all brands of braid line buy the gel spun PE fibers in bulk and all the particular brand in question does is weave, dye, and coat with lubricant sometimes, and then markets their braid line as the best out there.

In my research I delved into the plastics industry - outside of the fishing industry- for my answers on braid line. I found that in all the world there were at the time I researched this only 12 gel spinning factories in all the world. 7 of them are in China. 1 or 2 were in USA. The rest scattered across Europe and other.

U.S. made gel spun fibers as you can imagine are the most expensive in the world, and you can guess which brand it is over here that was making their own fibers for their outrageously expensive braid line products. I refuse to pay those prices. Today I spend about a 1/10 of what they want for basically the same thing.

So most of the brands we buy these days, more than likely most of those gel spun fibers are sourced from China.

*** Dyneema and Spectra brand of gel spun fibers are not made in all of the factories. There is a ton of gel spun fibers that are not Dyneema nor Spectra type or brand.

The next thing I took a look at was the patents on gel spinning itself. There is not just one process for creating gel spun fibers. There is actually an ongoing scientific process of improving and changing the process to achieve the best results through those 12 gel spin factories that is unique and proprietary to those making the fibers at different locations around the world. The Chinese are all over this process and have filed numerous patents for changes to the process bringing about some interesting advancements.

The process involves heat, chemicals, speed spinning and much more to take a melted form of plastic and basically make cotton candy out of it which is cooled and then sold in bulk as basically piles of cotton candy like material that is then woven, dyed, and sometimes lubricated.

The process as I understand it is basically this... imaging if you will a rubber band. we all know how pliable they are, but now stretch that rubber band as far as it will go before snapping and freeze it right there so it can not contract. That is basically what the gel spinning process is doing to plastic. creating fibers stretched out to their maximum molecular level before snapping and freezing it right there. It can not stretch any more without breaking.

And this is why braid has its unique no stretch characteristics.

But be assured, not all fibers are the same! Depending on who is doing the gel spinning process, some fibers might not be stretched out all the way. Some might be perfectly stretched. Some might be larger diameter than others who might have extremely thin fibers. No 2 gel spinning manufacturers use the same processes and reach the same results. Not possible. Each is trying to out do the other in the science, advancements, and results.

The problem us fishermen have is we have no way to know which brand is using which fibers from what factory and who's fibers are stronger or weaker or stiffer or more pliable. No way to know. On our end it is all trial and error to find the braid we like.

And there is presently no data available to show where Dyneema or Spectra brands of gel spun fibers compare to the other sources of gel spun fibers. For all I know an unbranded Chinese factory could actually be making superior fibers based on their newer technology. And another issue is, those who make Dyneema and Spectra can change their process at any time and none of us would ever know it has changed for better or for worse.

Based on my research I no longer use high priced brand name braid line. I now buy it in bulk from China and I prefer it dry with no lubrication on it at all. It wears off anyway so why bother with it? Just a sales gimmick really. None of the line I buy says it is Dyneema nor Spectra and is not an issue to me at all. And sometimes, Chinese will use these terms to sell their off brand lines even when the source of those gel spun fibers are not made from the same process or processes behind Dyneema and Spectra brands.

Another thing some brands try and do is provide the PE gel spun fibers with a UV protection chemical agent. The reason is clear. The PE plastic they make the braid line from is basically the same plastic they use to make milk jugs out of. And if you leave a milk jug in the sun for very long what happens to the plastic? It begins to break down and become brittle and breaks or cracks up easily.

The same holds true for braid since it is the same plastic. So keeping the line out of the sun as much as possible extends the life of the braid.

I have edited this comment to add more info... and this one is yet another one... let's take just one Chinese gel spinning factory. There is no evidence to suggest that all day long everyday of the week they are churning out just one type of gel spun fibers. That one factory could be the source for numerous foreign brands of braid line all over the world. Each one of those foreign companies might have or might not have their own patented forumla or process they want for their gel spun fibers. Some might just buy what that factory makes with their patented process. But on any given day that one factory can easily change the process for how they make those fibers. And they can be made on demand to specifications of various foreign brands. Who knows, but Dyneema and Spectra might be made at all 12 factories from time to time. No way to ever know this. And on other days those same factories can be using different processes to make the fibers. Slight changes in heat, chemicals, spinning times, etc, plastic composition changes can all make a different product. So all gel spun fibers are not the same. And they are certainly not all just 2 brands of gel spun fibers under the names of Dyneema or Spectra.

And, these same limited number of gel spinning factories are also making other gel spun fibers for other products... There are patents registered in numerous countries around the world... they are even making surgical stitches out of this stuff and just about any and every product imaginable. Fishing line is just one of them.

[patents.google.com]

[patentswarm.com]

[patents.google.com]

[182.160.97.198]

[smartech.gatech.edu]

I could go on all day digging up patents from all over the world and different processes for making basically same thing everyone of them wanting to be the best and strongest and win out in sales game for profit.

Dyneema and Spectra are merely marketing names trying to carve out the largest market share possible through marketing hype. But in no way can any of us be certain which process is actually making the better fibers and where those fibers are going around the world or to whom. And what is interesting since this is an ever evolving process, what is today Dyneema and Spectra fibers may be very different from what was made when these brands were originally created. And this is why I no longer even care to bother with looking for those brand names when I search for braid line. And quite often when I do buy some line I have no way of knowing if the chinese are being honest with me when they say their line is Dyneema or Spectra. How will I ever know it is or it isn't?

So Spectra and Dyneema patented processes can more than likely be ordered from more than one of the factories at any given time based on availability. But not all braid lines are made from Spectra or Dyneema, and sometimes braid lines are marketed with those brand names even when the line itself might actually not be of that patented process and merely licensed out as a sales booster and nothing more.

With that being said, I use to work for a rod and reel warranty repair facility but quit when this pandemic occurred. Hopefully once this is over I can go back to it, but while working for a warranty repair facility for rods and reels I had to repair an endless supply of reels damaged from fishermen putting too heavy a line on a reel.

The brand considers this as abuse and it is not covered under warranty when new reels come into the shop with heavy braid line on them. Spinning reels are especially susceptible to this kind of damage because of how they are designed.

The spool is mounted on a steel shaft parallel to the rod blank, and the line wraps around the spool on it and the "pull" is directed 90 degrees sideways off axis to the steel shaft. A lot of fishermen like to lock down the drag as tight as possible and the tighter they do this, the more sideways pull the load on the end of the line will put on that steel shaft.

I can not tell you how many of them I have had to hammer straight again because replacements were not available for that reel. They make these shafts from a bendable steel, not a brittle steel usually. So we saw a lot of bent shafts all the time.

In the shop I was pretty good at hammering back straight a lot shafts. Other techs would have me straighten their shaft for them since I was pretty good at it.

So be aware if you use new reels under warranty and use too heavy a line not recommended by the brand and wind up damaging the reel it is usually not covered under warranty as it is considered as end user abuse.

Brands cover repairs if they or their product is at fault. But if a user puts too heavy of a line on a reel and tries asking that reel to deliver more performance than it was designed to give and is damaged, it is on the user to cover costs of repair. Rods also fall under this category. And let me tell you brands want to examine the reasons why their products are breaking before they make any decisions to cover under warranty or not. It is a big ordeal sometimes dealing with various brands over this issue on the phone usually.

While I was working there, every year at ICAST time we had numerous engineers come into our shop from all over the world from major brands, the men and women who design and build brand name equipment, and they came to our shop to spend time examining what we saw on a daily basis and take notes of issues and problems we encounter over and over. I have shown those engineers problems they said they would go back to Japan, Malaysia, Philippines and China and work to correct or improve on. Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. I don't know. But it is cool to know our efforts here in central Florida were noticed by the big guys and maybe used to improve some fishing equipment. But making bigger shafts in spinning reels was not one of them.

That's my .02 cents... back to regular programming...

Edited 19 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2020 07:17AM by Kent Griffith.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster