I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Graphite vs Glass vs Blend
Date: August 23, 2020 06:08AM

As of now I have never used a fiberglass or a “blend” type rod. Only graphite for me.... but I’ve been wanting to build a new cranking rod and thought of giving one of them a try. Any advice on a good blank that won’t break the bank? Will mostly be for fishing squarebills and occasional lipless cranks shallow and making accurate casts to the bank. Nothing bigger than 7 ft. Should I try a straight glass rod or a blended rod first? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphite vs Glass vs Blend
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 23, 2020 06:56AM

Keep in mind that what you will get here are opinions and personal preferences. While there are those that swear by straight glass, I'm not one of them. Graphite can do anything that glass can do and do it lighter. If you want to try something different I recommend a blend. Rainshadow and Amtak both offer blanks specifically designed for cranks. I'm not sure if they are graphite or blends. I have two Loomis blend rods I built when Loomis blanks were available, one a light crank rod and one a spinnerbait rod, and I find both of them excellent.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 23, 2020 07:08AM

It looks like the Amtak Bushido crank blanks and the Rainshadow Revelation crank blanks are graphite, not blends. But both are excellent lines of blanks for a reasonable price. I consider them to be the "sweet spot" of high performance at reasonable price. I'm sure others will chime in with advice on blends.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 23, 2020 10:12AM

Seeker BS706S, it's an S glass blank, S glass is lighter and stiffer than regular E glass. The S glass model of this blank is a bit over 3/8 of an ounce lighter. A favorite of rodbuilders for a long time. Check it out in the search function above.

Date: August 23, 2020 12:14PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep in mind that what you will get here are
> opinions and personal preferences. While there
> are those that swear by straight glass, I'm not
> one of them. Graphite can do anything that glass
> can do and do it lighter. If you want to try
> something different I recommend a blend.
> Rainshadow and Amtak both offer blanks
> specifically designed for cranks. I'm not sure if
> they are graphite or blends. I have two Loomis
> blend rods I built when Loomis blanks were
> available, one a light crank rod and one a
> spinnerbait rod, and I find both of them
> excellent.

This is 100% a “try something new” situation. I throw squarebill and light lipless baits very often and I have a variety of rods that I’ve built for this technique. I’m very happy with the Rainshadow Revelation crankbait blanks. I have built on both the REVCB70M and the REVCB70MH, as well as the 6’9 and 7’3 squarebill blanks. I’ve been wanting to give a glass or a blend rod a shot to see if it helps with keeping fish pinned.... especially if I’m burning a squarebill shallow or burning a lipless over grass.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 23, 2020 01:08PM

Spencer, from what i read on Anglers Workshop the Seeker BS706S is a composite of E-Glass and graphite which they call S-Glass..it sounds like S-Glass is a by definition a composite..unless i misstood which is very possible..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 23, 2020 01:22PM

The Rain Shadow blanks are all crank bait blanks that really excel at the job.

Whether, they are graphite or glass, the key is the action of the final blanks and these blanks have it for crank baits:

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 23, 2020 02:35PM

Ben,
You did misunderstand; S glass is a modified version of E glass with a higher modules and hence is stiffer (more sensitive) which in turn requires less material (lighter). But, being stiffer (more brittle), it is ultimately not as tough as the original E glass. Even S glass falls short of CF with respect to modules and the inherent stiffness, sensitivity and being able to produce a lighter structure. None the less, I prefer FG over CF for the overall feel and Fish Fighting Fun Factor!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 23, 2020 02:47PM

The Super Seeker blanks are composite as you discribed.

Date: August 23, 2020 03:34PM

so S-Glass is short for Seeker-Glass..which is a sandwich of E-Glass and a graphite cloth making it a composite..there is no stand alone fiberglass called S-Glass because S-Glass is a composite..

Posted by: Harry Glenn (---)
Date: August 23, 2020 05:09PM

Try the Rodgeeks SG series.. I use the 70mhm quite a bit. Very solid rod for a great price. S Glass with some graphite..

Posted by: Rick Shaffer (67.213.20.---)
Date: August 23, 2020 05:36PM

Rodgeeks FIBERGLASS SERIES - SG70MHM

MHX CB845 Blend

Date: August 23, 2020 06:52PM

Ben,
Some definitions are definitely due and apparently required here. Whether E or S glass, both are GLASS, extremely similar to the glass in your home or storefronts but in fiber form rather than sheets. There are those who say E stands for Electrical and S stands for Structural but I have never found supporting evidence of such being the case. In no way, shape or form does the S stand for Seeker!!! The rod building world has basterdized and confused the term “composite”!!! In its pure and intended form, a composite structure is a fiber-reinforced-plastic (FRP) such as a fishing blank, race car tub or wind energy blade. It is simply a matrix of plastic resin (polyester, epoxy, urethane or what have you) confining the fibers from randomly moving to produce a rigid, lightweight structure. Hence, a composite may be entirely FG, CF, Aramid (Kevlar), cotton, wood or any combination of reinforcing fibers. The fishing rod/blank industry has confused the public into thinking a “composite blank” is one manufactured of BOTH FG AND CF which is certainly misleading.
To clarify, S glass is a higher modules form of E glass but, none the less, still glass (as in silica). It is certainly NOT a combination of E glass and CF!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 23, 2020 07:27PM

Mark, i was going on Seekers definition of S-Glass as written on Anglers Workshop site for rod blanks..please take time to read it, i,d be interested in your thoughts..it,s on the page for Seeker S-Glass bass rods..someone is full of prunes as Emory Harry used to say..lol..probably me..lol.

Date: August 23, 2020 07:54PM

Mark, after looking again to remarks made by Seeker, they are talking about salt water rods and not bass rods as noted in the heading..their remarks are on the wrong page..very misleading to the slow witted..lol..so you stand correct..sorry for the confusion..

Date: August 24, 2020 03:15AM

Weight difference from an E glass model and an S glass model of the same bass blanks was a bit over 3/8 oz.

Date: August 24, 2020 11:17AM

so if one model is 6 ounces the other is 63/8 ounces..lol. i was probably going to put 3/8 in the butt anyway..lol.

Date: August 24, 2020 02:31PM

Ben,
There is a vast difference between being misled verses being slow-witted; you were simply misled.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: August 24, 2020 06:53PM

Christian? I'm curious as to what hooks you're running on the square bills and lip less baits that you're burning? Are they the pretty much standard light wire trebles like say an Owner ST 36? The reason I ask is I was having similar problems with losing fish when I was burning the bait. I went to a heavier wire treble hook, and it all but completely solved my problem. The reason I think it helped immensely is because the heavier wire doesn't flex like a lighter wire hook will.

When you're burning a bait the fish doesn't always get a solid shot at the bait, and if it only hits one point that point will flex with a lighter wire, and I truly believe it results in poorly hooked fish. The heavier wire hooks won't flex or won't flex nearly as much, and it sticks the fish better. I use either the Owner 3X ST-56 round bends, or the KVD Mustads, which are 2X strong and have the triple grip turned in type of hook point. I use the Owner round bends on lip less baits because I find they rip free and clear grass better than the triple grip style hooks. I fish squarebills in wood cover, so I use the triple grip style because the inwardly turned point dosen't hang up nearly as much.

If you haven't already tried a heavier wired hook, you might want to give it a try. You might find you don't need to build a new rod.

Date: August 24, 2020 08:18PM

David, I have used heavier wire treble hooks in the past. I almost always upgrade my treble hooks. I personally like an EWG, so if the lure doesn’t come with EWG hooks, they get replaced. Usually to KVD triple grips.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster