I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Renzetti Lathe
Posted by: Chris Scott (---)
Date: July 12, 2020 09:04AM

I’m looking at getting the Renzetti Craftsman Rod Lathe. I see they offer a Motor for this ,but it is not as versatile as the one in Rodmaker Magazine V3#3 which is variable speed/reversible and can slow down to a speed that can be used for drying. Does anyone know of an equivalent motor/controller to this? I also am aware of the drying attachment article in V16#1 to add a separate drying motor, but would like to have 1 motor.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Renzetti Lathe
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2020 09:19AM

The 1/10 HP Dayton is by far the best wrapping-turning motor for the lathe. I don't mechanically rotate my rods for "drying" but if I did I'd add a separate, dedicated slow RPM motor such as the one shown in the magazine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 12, 2020 01:04PM

Chris,
I really know of no system that will give you the ultimate control you want for wrapping and still have the ability to have the power and speed that you need for turning grips.

It is pretty simple and straight forward to have a system with a motor that has variable speed and reverse and a slow enough speed for great drying control.

However, it is much more difficult to also combine the ability to turn a grip or other turning duties at 2000-3000 rpm.

Most folks have opted for a dual system. i.e. a nice power wrapper like the Renzetti and then one of the many different smaller wood lathes.

This setup also gives you the opportunity to have your power wrapper - in your "Clean room" but have the wood lathe in your "dirty room" that are separate from each other.

Of course, one can do both jobs in the same room, but for doing wrapping and finish work in the same area where lots of dust, dirt, shavings, etc. that is generated as part of the wood lathe turning work - makes it much much more difficult to keep the clean pristine dust free environment that makes power wrapping and finish work so much easier.

i.e. keep the clean jobs in the clean room.
But, then keep the dirty jobs in the dirty room.

For example:
From Penn State industries - a nice Midi wood working lathe with variable speed: [www.pennstateind.com]

The bed extension for this lathe:
[www.pennstateind.com]

Or a less expensive but very workable lathe:
[www.harborfreight.com]

But, be aware that in addition to a lathe, one may find that he/she wants to purchase an additional head chuck or tail stock chuck or tail stoke piece.

In addition, the use of a bed extension is a very nice addition to extend the length of the bed. When working with multiple tools and different mandrel lengths; the use of the longer bed is a nice feature:

Posted by: Chris Scott (---)
Date: July 12, 2020 02:40PM

Thanks for the responses. I already have the wood turning lathe with all the headstock and tailstock accessories for turning handles. This question goes to Roger,. What is the ideal motor for wrapping and drying as I do not need the ability to turn handles?(I need a motor to go forward, reverse and ability to go slow).

Thanks again

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 12, 2020 03:58PM

I never had much need for reverse, can't just sitting here think of anything I do that needs reverse.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2020 09:14PM

Chris, Check with flex-coat, they came out with a motor with variable speeds and reverse just about a month ago.Looks like a good system.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: July 12, 2020 10:19PM

Chris,

One motor and system that works very well is a DC powered low voltage gear motor. By using a gear motor, one can have the ideal wrapping speed with plenty of torque with no need for reduction pulleys or similar systems.

So, the system consists of an appropriate DC gear motor.
A power supply,
A control box to take care of speed (hand speed control - for drying needs, reverse.
An appropriate foot pedal that can control the speed of the motor.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:19PM

Chris,

One motor and system that works very well is a DC powered low voltage gear motor. By using a gear motor, one can have the ideal wrapping speed with plenty of torque with no need for reduction pulleys or similar systems.

So, the system consists of an appropriate DC gear motor.
A power supply,
A control box to take care of speed (hand speed control - for drying needs, reverse.
An appropriate foot pedal that can control the speed of the motor

This video is one example of a DC gear motor with control box and pedal driving an Alps head stock.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2020 10:24PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2020 02:59PM

Chris

This is the motor that you want:

[flexcoat.com]

Call me
512-858-7742

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster